Hit Again!

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, twbm said:

No you wouldn't, it would be done either by Direct Debit or BACS.  Our staff get paid automatically without fuss or bother every Monday.  Contactless is faster than cash and speeds up service at peak times.  

'Course the downside of all this is your turnover is recorded in a medium that can be investigated. :rolleyes:

The main problem I find and found in the past with some of my other businesses is the need to have a business account at the bank. We dont have a bank account of any kind for our business. I have had two dud tenners in the last thirty years taken by bar staff in the past. I fully understand that many businesses have to take cards and all other crap but thats because they didnt do their homework and have competition. I have no competition due to Location, Location, Location and that we are better than anyone else at what we do put bluntly its a s simple as that. We are the best, we get busier each year we have the best location and we will always only take cash.......Simples.

All you folk who never pay by cash are wasting a lot of money.  You can't haggle with a credit card.  

We are a cash only business, never had anyone turn away because of it.  Cash is king in loads of small businesses, always will be.  They tried to get rid of cheques didn't they, without success. 

The only problem I have these days is when I come darn sarf with my Scottish notes a lot of businesses don't like to take them.  Of course the money is going nowhere near the bank, probably nowhere near the books either, and some idiots think the Scottish, and Northern Irish, notes aren't legal tender in England.

Just now, Neil2 said:

All you folk who never pay by cash are wasting a lot of money.  You can't haggle with a credit card.  

We are a cash only business, never had anyone turn away because of it.  Cash is king in loads of small businesses, always will be.  They tried to get rid of cheques didn't they, without success. 

The only problem I have these days is when I come darn sarf with my Scottish notes a lot of businesses don't like to take them.  Of course the money is going nowhere near the bank, probably nowhere near the books either, and some idiots think the Scottish, and Northern Irish, notes aren't legal tender in England.

Funnily enough I had a lady from Belfast today with a " Danske " bank note and she asked if I would take it as she had been refused elsewhere, she was on holiday. Yes my dear says I tis proper money it has the magic word sterling on it and thats all I need, so I took it. I always take Jockanese money also absolutely nooooooooooo problem.

I've just seen the below on Facebook posted by an American friend...

What the f- is going on? For the 3rd time in as many weeks Ann and I go into a place for a bite to eat and the place takes credit cards only and will not accept cash. 
On all US currency is printed 'this note is legal tender for ALL (emphasis mine) debts public and private'.

Is it even legal to not accept cash???

25 minutes ago, WotEver said:

What the f- is going on? For the 3rd time in as many weeks Ann and I go into a place for a bite to eat and the place takes credit cards only and will not accept cash. 
On all US currency is printed 'this note is legal tender for ALL (emphasis mine) debts public and private'.

British Airways is no longer able to take cash on flights for any services, cards only. 

What has changed,  they still have the same staff, the same crap overpriced fodder, .....

On 14/04/2017 at 22:39, matty40s said:

British Airways is no longer able to take cash on flights for any services, cards only. 

What has changed,  they still have the same staff, the same crap overpriced fodder, .....

The management don't trust the staff, obviously.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

I was in an American shop that would not take cash, the reason being that they were robbed so many times, so no cash in the shop.

7 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I was in an American shop that would not take cash, the reason being that they were robbed so many times, so no cash in the shop.

Another very good reason to never go to the states. Once was enough years ago I will not be making that mistake again any time soon.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Another very good reason to never go to the states. Once was enough years ago I will not be making that mistake again any time soon.

Not only did I have to use my credit card, they took my finger prints as well !!

On 13/04/2017 at 10:46, mrsmelly said:

I agree most very wealthy people have no real money on them. Personaly though I will rarely be without a minimum of 100 quid in my pocket and often more as proper money is instant and there are still many places ( mine included ) that only take real cash with the word sterling written on it and I would be too embarrased to try to buy anything anywhere for say as little as a tenner with a bit of plastic. It is also easier to know exactly how much money I have rather than accumulating lots of bits of paper or even worse ever using contactless. Its probably because I have no money and my upbringing was one of no debt, my parents paid their mortgage off at age 33 and never borrowed a penny from any where for anything ever again. Old fashioned I know but in life I have found especialy of late that old fashioned is much more sensible.

Virtual Greenie Tim, I like cash because never found a place that doesnt take it. We were out last night cash got us a 10% discount for dinner between the four of us works for me:D

On 4/13/2017 at 17:26, mrsmelly said:

Its quiet in there today. I can see directly across from my boat into the caff and garden ( hellish commute :lol: ) tis quite cold here today. Off for an indian tonite with lanlady fromt local pub what ya fancy Rach?

Hope you are paying by credit card

:)

11 hours ago, peterboat said:

Virtual Greenie Tim, I like cash because never found a place that doesnt take it. We were out last night cash got us a 10% discount for dinner between the four of us works for me:D

Ever wondered why you might get a 'cash discount'? Nothing to do with tax avoidance I wouldn't think:unsure:.

It's funny how everyone criticises Greece for getting into the mire because they have a culture of tax evasion, conveniently forgetting that we have exactly the same culture here. As long as you get a cheaper deal who cares?

16 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Ever wondered why you might get a 'cash discount'? Nothing to do with tax avoidance I wouldn't think:unsure:.

It's funny how everyone criticises Greece for getting into the mire because they have a culture of tax evasion, conveniently forgetting that we have exactly the same culture here. As long as you get a cheaper deal who cares?

You think everybody is bent because of a job you once did. Several businesses give cash discounts it is an incentive for people to return just like loyalty cards and crap such as nectar cards that plastic lovers use. It often has nowt to do with tax avoidance. Cash makes instant transactions and always works. Oh and no there isnt enough dodgy tenners about to worry folks. Are Sainsburys on the take with their nectar points then as it amounts to a discount or are you too naieve to realise thats how it works?

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You think everybody is bent because of a job you once did. Several businesses give cash discounts it is an incentive for people to return just like loyalty cards and crap such as nectar cards that plastic lovers use. It often has nowt to do with tax avoidance. Cash makes instant transactions and always works. Oh and no there isnt enough dodgy tenners about to worry folks. Are Sainsburys on the take with their nectar points then as it amounts to a discount or are you too naieve to realise thats how it works?

I note that you say only that '...it often...' rather than never has anything to do with tax avoidance. In the building trade from which my experience is based, it is exclusively to do with tax avoidance, people will come back if you do a good job, they don't need a cash incentive. Cash transactions went straight into the back pocket and the discount given was effectively splitting the tax avoided between the willing customer and the tradesman. Whilst I agree that the various 'loyalty cards' are just a load of b*llox their purpose is to track you and gain data on you, any discount they may give is trivial in comparison. The difference is that it is all transparent and audited, cash transaction are just easy to conceal if you have a mind to, and many people have a mind to:rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Using a card costs the business money nowt is for free. Plus they have the money in their hands to pay wages, bills, etc all missing out the bank who charges you for everything if you are a business customer. Whats not to like about cash for the business?

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Using a card costs the business money nowt is for free. Plus they have the money in their hands to pay wages, bills, etc all missing out the bank who charges you for everything if you are a business customer. Whats not to like about cash for the business?

.....and less for the taxman:rolleyes:

Just now, Wanderer Vagabond said:

.....and less for the taxman:rolleyes:

Not always the case, its as my accountant said using the money wisely, only idiots throw away hard earned cash. You have to have had a business to understand, its not like working for others where you get paid regardless, you have to earn it and its bloody hard work!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Not always the case, its as my accountant said using the money wisely, only idiots throw away hard earned cash. You have to have had a business to understand, its not like working for others where you get paid regardless, you have to earn it and its bloody hard work!

And paying tax is clearly not using money wisely, so all of these corporate tax avoiders are actually doing a really good job then?:unsure:

It isn't just me who finds large cash transactions a bit suspect, try and pay a large sum of cash legitimately into your bank and they will be asking you where you got it from as well. They are obliged  under The Money Laundering Regulations 2007 to show application of "...due customer diligence measures...". The fact that cash transactions are effectively untraceable makes them suspect on many levels. As I mentioned earlier, I note that Gypsy Travellers always deal in cash, I wonder why that would be? You'll never prove that one ripped you off because you'll never prove that the transaction ever happened.

I have to say that when someone opens their wallet, displaying large quantities of cash I'm never particularly impressed, my only real thought is 'Why?'

On 14/04/2017 at 22:11, WotEver said:

Legal tender only refers to debts, you can't force someone to take your money to purchase something from them. 

9 hours ago, lulu fish said:

Legal tender only refers to debts, you can't force someone to take your money to purchase something from them. 

Indeed. In the same way that you are not legally obliged to offer change. If someone gives you a tenner for a stick of chewing gum that is their choice. 

13 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

And paying tax is clearly not using money wisely, so all of these corporate tax avoiders are actually doing a really good job then?:unsure:

It isn't just me who finds large cash transactions a bit suspect, try and pay a large sum of cash legitimately into your bank and they will be asking you where you got it from as well. They are obliged  under The Money Laundering Regulations 2007 to show application of "...due customer diligence measures...". The fact that cash transactions are effectively untraceable makes them suspect on many levels. As I mentioned earlier, I note that Gypsy Travellers always deal in cash, I wonder why that would be? You'll never prove that one ripped you off because you'll never prove that the transaction ever happened.

I have to say that when someone opens their wallet, displaying large quantities of cash I'm never particularly impressed, my only real thought is 'Why?'

Most people have loads of credit cards today it depends how you want to live your life. My life is completely my own as I have no debt whatsoever. My only direct debits are 2 fones and the dogs insurance all of which can be cancelled in one move as non are on contract.  I f someone has a debt they have no life choice other than to service that debt and tow the line, we have all been there to some extent. Some people stay in debt and obey others their entire life and others get out of debt and stay out. I know which one suits me. I dont have loads of cash just cash.

• Greenie 1