The K&A. The good & the bad?

RichM

Featured Posts

I hear a lot about the K&A on this forum. During the time we were waiting for the purchase of our boat to complete, I was inspired by a tv programme that visited the K&A and also a BBC programme whereby they spent 2 hours cruising it with no interruption. Unfortunately I've yet to visit the K&A but it's on my to-do list, or at least I think it is. :)

So for those with experience of this seemingly idyllic canal, I'd be interested to hear your experience and opinions of it. Both good and bad along with any photos. :)

Cheers

Arm

I did the K&A a couple of years ago and mostly enjoyed it. Reading is disappointing as there are no moorings in the town and the first few miles west of the town are not very pleasant. From there to Devises and the famous flight was enjoyable with pleasant towns and scenery. However, for me the best section is from the bottom of Caen Hill to Bath and especially the Avon valley which was glorious when I travelled in Autumn.

post-14518-0-82268300-1465244421_thumb.jpg

post-14518-0-89427900-1465244449_thumb.jpg

We left the Thames a few days ago and are having a very slow wander towards Bristol. Currently at Thatcham. The river sections are great, but can be a challenge if you have not done them before. Especially through Reading and at Woolhampton!

Limited mooring is an issue. The banks shelve and with no piling, you struggle to get into the bank away from designated moorings, which are often very busy. But, thus far, not a problem as it is very quiet. That will put the mockers on it!!!

Lovely canal though, challenging at times. Take time and enjoy and moor up early.

We did it two years ago, and lets just say if it's up to me, we won't be doing it again any time soon.

Good bits for me - Compton old time water works very interesting / Hungerford was a lovely little town right on the canal / Devizes was ok & the Caen Hill flight was a great experience even in the rain / enjoyed the river sections of the canal

Not so good bits for me - The locks are a real ball ache and I have none / unlike the GU, there are very few landscape vistas to look at / grocery shopping can be a bit of a challenge unless you plan well in advance and stock up at the Reading Tesco's unless your happy to use taxi's and such. Good shopping at Hungerford & ok at Devizes if you can get a mooring up near the wharf / from Reading to the bottom of the flight we only had 1 mooring where we didn't need to use the gang plank & in Very General terms people didn't seem to be a friendly compared to all the other places we've been on the southern canals & rivers from London to Hertford to Lechlade to Braunston and many spots inbetween

Both Pics taken the same year - 1st is just to the north of Braunston, the 2nd & 3rd are somewhere along the scenic (cough, cough) K&A

In fairness, my OH thought it was lovely and really enjoyed it - to each their own captain.gif

post-20365-0-19290600-1465247857_thumb.jpg

post-20365-0-98995500-1465248043_thumb.jpg

post-20365-0-60271100-1465248086_thumb.jpg

I did the K&A a couple of years ago and mostly enjoyed it. Reading is disappointing as there are no moorings in the town and the first few miles west of the town are not very pleasant. From there to Devises and the famous flight was enjoyable with pleasant towns and scenery. However, for me the best section is from the bottom of Caen Hill to Bath and especially the Avon valley which was glorious when I travelled in Autumn.

attachicon.gif14-11-097.jpg

attachicon.gif14-11-053.jpg

There are moorings in Reading. There are mooings by the park, by Tesco, By the prison and Homebase and moorings past the shopping centre.

We visited the K & A last year, going as far as Bath before returning to Reading, the Thames and the Oxford Canal.

We have mixed views.

The free moorings at the Bel and Dragon in Reading are useful, but we would agree that the initial section of the K & A is not that attractive and quite hard work.

Mooring is not as easy as on most of the rest of the canal network. Or, to put that into context, having never used the gangplank in 5 years of owning the current boat, it was in use most of the time. And when mooring more or less horizontally, it was not unusual to find the boat listing significantly the next morning. Basically, you can't assume you will find a mooring just where you want it, especially if you don't arrive early.

Having said that, much of the countryside was lovely, we found some very nice pubs to have supper in (we'd particularly recommend the Three Tuns in Great Bedwyn) and the the vast majority of people we came across were extremely pleasant. Even the cyclists!!!!! The latter with one exception.......who turned out to be a boater!!!

The locks tend to be quite hard work, too.

Having said all that, we would happily go back. but because it's quite hard work and mooring isn't as easy as we might like it to be, we would allow a little extra time to make our journey.

Incidentally, although we turned round at Bath, we came across a number of boaters who had been as far as Bristol and really enjoyed it. We stopped at Devizes for a couple of days travelling in each direction and found it most pleasant.

We needed to break our journey in both directions and left our boat on both occasions at the little marina run by the Newbury Boat Company near Greenham Lock. The couple running it were very pleasant, extremely helpful, and also able to provide a fuel polishing service which we were in need of and finally (after using other such service providers) managed to deal with the problem.

Bob.

We have hired a couple of times on the Western end and enjoyed it. Our shared boat is now based on the Eastern end, which we have walked along a few times and will be exploring by boat from this weekend....... :-)

As someone else mentioned it looks like the river sections at Woolhampton and Newbry will be interesting.

Once you buy a decent gangplank and loose your fear of mooring six feet from the bank, the K&A turns into the most bewitching and wonderful canal. Mainly because it IS still possible to moor on your own, in the wilds, in magnificent isolation.

But most boaters have had their expectations raised sky high in terms of piling everywhere that's easy to moor to, so the K&A comes as a major culture shock. Best you stay away. The best thing about the K&A is the way one boat passing per hour is an unusually busy day, and attracting more boaters here is gonna spoil that!

Once you buy a decent gangplank and loose your fear of mooring six feet from the bank, the K&A turns into the most bewitching and wonderful canal. Mainly because it IS still possible to moor on your own, in the wilds, in magnificent isolation.

But most boaters have had their expectations raised sky high in terms of piling everywhere that's easy to moor to, so the K&A comes as a major culture shock. Best you stay away. The best thing about the K&A is the way one boat passing per hour is an unusually busy day, and attracting more boaters here is gonna spoil that!

Having a V hull Springer, I found mooring no problem.

:)

I enjoyed the whole trip from Reading to Bristol, but as others have said the river sections can be challenging. I came up the Kennet in spate and it was tricky in places. Did all the locks and swing bridges on my own apart from the Caen Hill flight where I had help. If the locks were especially hard work I don't really remember that. Seemed ok to me - as did finding moorings for a flat bottomed widebeam. From memory all the natives I met along the K&A were friendly too!

Edited by Claude

If you have any form of weakness in the leg area be aware that many K&A locks use a sort of one foot stirrup that allows you to step up onto the lock beam to walk across. The locks would be far easier if they had proper steps fitted like the GU ones.

The locks also had (last time we were there) idiot gearboxes on the paddle gear. These tend to make winding easier but god help you if you need to drop a paddle fast.

Fobney is the worst lock in my view and in summer is best done before about 10am unless its terrible weather. Its the swimming pool for the local youths and although usually they are fine if you chat to them we have been stoned there - that is had stones thrown at us, they were stoned!

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

Sounds something like the Middle Level / Nene. I agree with Mike, nice to be out on your own with a challenge of where to moor thrown in.

After learning everything about the boat on the Ouse and Nene in winter I find canals rather boring to be honest. Which is due to their lack of exciting currents, massive locks, flooded weirs and convenient moorings. Presently on the GU and I really do miss my short time on the rivers, as Mike said, it's good that it's harder there as the lack of boats is what's so appealing.

The mooring was always a problem. When I first was boating on my own boat back in the 90s, almost always single handing, how to easily and safely place a plank, walk down it with at least two mooring lines in hand, having already thrown mooring pins and mallet into the long grass/nettles, hoping that the wind holds the boat against the bottom on the cutwhile you do all the above was a daily conundrum .

And don't ask me about frozen swing bridges early in the morning, dry pounds, locks padlocked on alternate days to save water. (Are they still using the same combination locks as they were then? For a fee I can give out the number.)

Absolutely. Couldn't agree moor up and be left alone and hardly see a boat.

It's not as quiet as the Basingstoke, though. We have been moored up all day at the Barley Mow Bridge and have seen not a single boat all day.

N

It's not as quiet as the Basingstoke, though. We have been moored up all day at the Barley Mow Bridge and have seen not a single boat all day.

N

You're kidding yourself. Try sneaking up and doing a lock and the rangers appear out of nowhere to unchain it and chain it back up after you.

They are watching your EVERY MOVE...!

P.S. To like the eastern K&A, you'll also need to like trains.

No. 'Like' is too small a word....

That's the main reason I won't go back! The trains, and the CYCLISTS! it is NOT a dog-friendly canal if you leave your dog lazing on the towpath in the sun.

N

Ahh, missed you last night as I took the 'John Pinkerton' up to the castle, usually go to the BM for evening trips.

Tonight there are 4 boats moored in the cut above Fobney Lock. There's approx 1 km of free moorings along this cut and it is a 20m walk to the town centre. There are some splendid spots to moor going west from Reading. It is true that Fobney Lock does attract the local lads but I've never seen them throwing stones! Being a Manchester lad I've always thought the local yobs to be rather tame. Most of their dads work in IT.

Tonight there are 4 boats moored in the cut above Fobney Lock. There's approx 1 km of free moorings along this cut and it is a 20m walk to the town centre. There are some splendid spots to moor going west from Reading. It is true that Fobney Lock does attract the local lads but I've never seen them throwing stones! Being a Manchester lad I've always thought the local yobs to be rather tame. Most of their dads work in IT.

Note to self: Don't bother with Manchester!

We did the K & A last summer, taking about 3 weeks to travel from Pyrford to Hanham and back.

Some of the lock gates are indeed heavy, but since we were often sharing it wasn't an issue. The turf-sided locks are quaint and steeped in history, but just felt a bit dirty. We were glad to find only two. No issues at Fobney.

Going down Caen Hill we were with one other 32' boat and a hirer, and with the assistance of volunteer lockkeepers too it was really easy. Going back up was similar - we shared with a nice hiring family.

We didn't have to use a plank, which is just as well as I keep it in my garage at home. We had no problems finding moorings, although we do avoid towns, villages and pubs. The river below Bath is stunning, and well worth a visit.

Our perception was that there are a lot of towpath dumpers on the K & A. Each to their own and all that, but it is a shame that so much towpath (particularly between Bradford and Bath) is populated in that way. We weren't in a hurry, so we passed them slowly and it didn't affect us really. I'm not sure that it was literally "mile after mile" of moored boats, but there are certainly a lot.

We did it two years ago, and lets just say if it's up to me, we won't be doing it again any time soon.

. . . there are very few landscape vistas to look at . . .

Oh Bettie Boo how could you say that? The Vale of Pewsey has stunning landscapes, and there's time enjoy them as you cruise the lock-free long pound between Pewsey and Devizes.

post-20508-0-63042900-1465362073_thumb.jpg

Oh Bettie Boo how could you say that? The Vale of Pewsey has stunning landscapes, and there's time enjoy them as you cruise the lock-free long pound between Pewsey and Devizes.

attachicon.gifIMG_1839.jpg

LOL

Ok - you got me there ninja.gif

The Vale of Pewsey did have some pretty spots, and all those white horses were good viewing as well; maybe after spending 5 weeks on the Thames with all those extraordinarily easy locks, and great mooring spots, along with the beautiful scenery of floral/fauna/wildlife/towns & villages spoilt me and made the K&A far less appealing.

Like I said though, it wasn't for me at all; however 'im at the back thought it was great and thoroughly enjoyed it. They do say opposites attracthug.gif