Apollo Duck

Featured Posts

We were very tempted by Helvetia when we were looking. It's a nice boat.

I agree that the AD experience is a bit confusing. I'm computer literate and it took me a few goes to get the ad for our old boat looking good. But you can't argue with the price and exposure.

Good luck with the sale, and don't forget to change it to SOLD when everything is complete.

I was was also tempted, it was important to me that the boat had been maintained so it was an obvious contender. I was put off by the single beds and lack of solid fuel stove.

The single beds convert to a cross double if need be.

From the advert: - "two single beds in the back cabin, convertible to a cross boat double, and an L shaped sofa in the saloon, which is easily converted into a double bed."

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=474743

When we bought our boat it didn't have a stove. When buying a pre owned boat very rarely will you find one that fits the bill 100%

We subsequently had a stove fitted in our boat. Not an insurmountable problem.

Edited by Ray T

"Spreading inaccuracies"? Lol.

I'm too tall for a cross bed, nor do I wish to make my bed up every night. The single beds put me off. I thought my comments might be useful to David.

I have viewed the boat, I'm not a keyboard guesser. I came to the conclusion that to adapt it to what I wanted would in effect spoil what made it attractive, I couldn't work out how it could be done sympathetically, it's a very lovely and tempting boaty boat.

Edited by boathunter

I was was also tempted, it was important to me that the boat had been maintained so it was an obvious contender. I was put off by the single beds and lack of solid fuel stove.

Interesting you talk about the boat being well maintained,it is nearly 35 years old of course and the present owner

has had it for the last twenty,does anyone know about the previous 15 years ?

Interesting you talk about the boat being well maintained,it is nearly 35 years old of course and the present owner

Yes. I know the full history of the boat, including some early photos.

Edited by David Schweizer

I fail to understand your reasoning on this, If someone buys a 15 year old boat ( irrespective of the condition at purchase ) & then keeps that boat & maintains it to a high standard for the next 20 years any "iffy bits" will have been fixed ,repaired; replaced, so the first years of it's life are of no concern? in the latter part of my working life I was employed restoring old & WW2 aircraft & after being rebuilt as a fit to fly state, musing on the 55 or more years of it's life was of no relevance to the condition at that time.other than where it had been &what it had done

I fail to understand your reasoning on this, If someone buys a 15 year old boat ( irrespective of the condition at purchase ) & then keeps that boat & maintains it to a high standard for the next 20 years any "iffy bits" will have been fixed ,repaired; replaced, so the first years of it's life are of no concern? in the latter part of my working life I was employed restoring old & WW2 aircraft & after being rebuilt as a fit to fly state, musing on the 55 or more years of it's life was of no relevance to the condition at that time.other than where it had been &what it had done

Makes sense - I have been looking at wrecked Spitfires, restored to flying condition and now worth millions.

I would be concerned that the golden rivet may be almost worn through...

+1 I started writing something similar, but thought that anybody sensible, and serious about buying a boat, wouldn't even consider it as an issue, so I deleted it. I'm glad others feel the same.

The advert looks good to me, nice looking boat.

Your boat doesn't look anything like this! And I don't think you are like this at all! And all those pictures show it off beautifully.

Can't believe it's not sold. Compared to other boats that you see presented where you can almost smell the dank and cringe at the mankyness.

Ditto, it appears a very fair price for a tidy looking boat of a condition that places in a league with boats half its age.

Well it shows how wrong one can be,. I have had two replies from Apollo Duck, one advising me how to post more photos, and a second one responding to my suggestion that they put a page on their site explaining the posting process for people like me who are not very computer literate.

So well done, and thanks to the Apollo Duck team.

Good on them, and thank you for updating us.

Daniel

How do you know if any Iffy bits have been fixed ? you can of course assume,but you don't know.The first 15 years of a Boats life are of concern,

especially if it has been an ex hire Boat.I would suggest that your analogy with Aircraft and canal boats is a poor one for obvious reasons

Makes sense - I have been looking at wrecked Spitfires, restored to flying condition and now worth millions.

It makes no sense because a Spitfire would be rebuilt to a much higher standard than a canal boat simply because

it has more value and is subject to stringent safety standards

If you have no useful suggestions to offer may i suggest that you resist making unhelpful contributions. You clearly know nothing about our boat, which has always been maintained to a very high standard throughout it's life, and you clearly know nothing about me.

Like me,you can suggest what you like chap.XAlanW has raised some points and I am attempting to answer him,

such is the way of CWDF as I understand it.Perhaps you confuse the Forum with EBAY

Like me,you can suggest what you like chap.XAlanW has raised some points and I am attempting to answer him,

such is the way of CWDF as I understand it.Perhaps you confuse the Forum with EBAY

No, Alan has raised some perfectly valid challenges to your earlier post, based on his knowledge of both my boat and me. The fact that you have failed to grasp the point he was making does not warrant your rudeness and irrelevant comparative comments..

Edited by David Schweizer

No, Alan has raised some perfectly valid challenges to your earlier post, based on his knowledge of both my boat and me. The fact that you have failed to grasp the point he was making does not warrant your rudeness and irrelevant comparative comments..

For your information,and I say this because its something you seemingly struggle to grasp,the post you speak of made no reference to Helvetia

or yourself but was of a General Nature.

Can you please tell me where in post 38 you or your boat is mentioned?

It simply isn't written in that context.

Well it shows how wrong one can be,. I have had two replies from Apollo Duck, one advising me how to post more photos, and a second one responding to my suggestion that they put a page on their site explaining the posting process for people like me who are not very computer literate.

So well done, and thanks to the Apollo Duck team.

would it be possible for you to ask the moderation team to alter your rather disparaging title now then.detective.gif

If you have no useful suggestions to offer may i suggest that you resist making unhelpful contributions. You clearly know nothing about our boat, which has always been maintained to a very high standard throughout it's life, and you clearly know nothing about me.

+1 !!!

For your information,and I say this because its something you seemingly struggle to grasp,the post you speak of made no reference to Helvetia

or yourself but was of a General Nature.

Can you please tell me where in post 38 you or your boat is mentioned?

It simply isn't written in that context.

Is this you again Chris?