Apollo Duck

Featured Posts

I have just wasted the best part of an hour trying to post an advert for our boat on Apollo Duck, It all worked fine until I came to load photos, and despite the promotional information stating "unlimited photos" it would only allow four to be loaded. the total size of which was only 650kb, so nowhere near the maximum file size permitted. Having failed several attempts to add more photos, I cancelled the advert but they have still debited my account for £12. I am not happy.

Plenty of people have said it is easy to advertise on Apollo Duck, so have I done something wrong, I have sent them a message, but don't expect an answer until Tuesday at the earliest.

Edited by David Schweizer

You say "cancelled the advert", but I expect you know it is still there to view, even if that is not what you want.

Actually I would say that with just the 4 pictures it presents very well compared to many I have seen.

Although frustrating that you have not got what you expected, if the cost is really just £12, I would let it run and see what if any interest it attracts.

If by any luck you succeed in a private sale, £12 sees a trivial amount compared to what a broker typically takes! Worth a gamble I'd say, even if you don't get the extra pictures you think you should have.

I know somebody looking, but it is just too long for what they are after.

Can't believe it's not sold. Compared to other boats that you see presented where you can almost smell the dank and cringe at the mankyness.

Edited by mark99

As you will have realised, I have had another go, and managed to work out how to post additional pictures, although some of them are under the wrong predetermined headings. It is a very tedious process but it eventually worked.

Thanks for the generous comments, I would have replied earlier but i have already had one telephone enquiry from a gentleman who likes the traditional appearance of Helvetia

As you will have realised, I have had another go, and managed to work out how to post additional pictures, although some of them are under the wrong predetermined headings. It is a very tedious process but it eventually worked.

Thanks for the generous comments, I would have replied earlier but i have already had one telephone enquiry from a genteman who likes the traditional appearnace of Helvetia

I shared it on my FB page and someone asked me if it was still available, so keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks for the generous comments, I would have replied earlier but i have already had one telephone enquiry from a genteman who likes the traditional appearnace of Helvetia

Sounds promising, but is the boat still with Rugby Boats? Will they still expect their commission if you sell it yourself? Best to sort this out before, rather than after any potential private sale.

Good luck.

Sounds promising, but is the boat still with Rugby Boats? Will they still expect their commission if you sell it yourself? Best to sort this out before, rather than after any potential private sale.

No, Helvetia was removed from Rugby Boats in April, and the contract was cancelled. Fortunately we have been able to get a temporary mooring back at Wigrams Fields where we used to moor.

No, Helvetia was removed from Rugby Boats in April, and the contract was cancelled. Fortunately we have been able to get a temporary mooring back at Wigrams Fields where we used to moor.

I thought you would have it sorted out, but had to say in case not!

...Plenty of people have said it is easy to advertise on Apollo Duck, so have I done something wrong, I have sent them a message, but don't expect an answer until Tuesday at the earliest.

Well it shows how wrong one can be,. I have had two replies from Apollo Duck, one advising me how to post more photos, and a second one responding to my suggestion that they put a page on their site explaining the posting process for people like me who are not very computer literate.

So well done, and thanks to the Apollo Duck team.

I seem to recall the initial asking price was £39,995, at which time I thought a lot of people would struggle with the price and the age, no matter how good the specification and condition. At £32,950, I'm surprised it didnt fly out with Rugby Boats, and will be surprised if you havent sold it within a few weeks. If I were looking for a new boat, I would be coming to see you!

I seem to recall the initial asking price was £39,995, at which time I thought a lot of people would struggle with the price and the age, no matter how good the specification and condition. At £32,950, I'm surprised it didnt fly out with Rugby Boats, and will be surprised if you havent sold it within a few weeks. If I were looking for a new boat, I would be coming to see you!

The original asking price at Rugby Boats was revised quite early in the selling process to £36,950, but still with no takers, The current asking price reflects a private sale with no broker's fees.

When I put ours on there, I included a link to my yahoo site where I had as many details as I liked and a scan of our survey etc. Meant that we had no time wasters at all as everything was there

Hi David

Nice boat. The ad shows it off to good effect.

For what it's worth, when we were looking around for a narrowboat, after about a year we gave up on ApolloDuck in favour of focusing on brokers. There was no problem with AD, but with the owners/sellers.

Because getting out to see a boat could be a costly and time-consuming affair for us (relying on public transportation and OS maps), I usually had about half dozen questions about the boat and its condition that I emailed to the owner first. For example, after once going some distance to see a boat whose ceiling height turned out to be 5'-9" (I'm 5'-11"), I always asked about ceiling height!

Problem 1: I'd say about 50% of sellers never responded to the email. So it was time-wasting.

Problem 2: A few people were not really honest (or were over-enthusiastic) in describing their boat's condition. (Some were atrocious dumps.) So it was time-wasting and expensive.

Problem 3: Many 'self-sale' boats were massively over-priced. And I mean wildly over-priced. So, again, it was time-wasting and expensive to get out to see them.

Problem 4: An astonishing number of 'self-sale' boats hadn't even been cleaned up inside. It didn't seem like they were serious about selling, and they didn't seem to really care about their boats. I mean, things like sinks full of ancient dirty dishes (on a leisure use boat, not a liveaboard), stuff dumped here and there, rotting food in the fridge, etc. I guess I'm the sort of person who thinks that anyone who treats their boat's interior like this probably treats its engine and plumping in the same way.

In the end restricting ourselves to looking at brokerage boats almost always bypassed all these problems.

Your boat doesn't look anything like this! And I don't think you are like this at all! And all those pictures show it off beautifully.

Just be aware of what the AD and self-sale experience is for some buyers ... and answer their emails!

Edited by Jim Batty

Hi David

Nice boat. The ad shows it off to good effect.

Your boat doesn't look anything like this! And I don't think you are like this at all! And all those pictures show it off beautifully.

Just be aware of what the AD and self-sale experience is for some buyers ... and answer their emails!

Jim, just out of interest Helvetia is incredibly well kept, I was on her only last Thursday. You could eat your tea of the top of the engine.

It is a well made boat loved and looked after with beautiful lines and she swims and handles well.

I am not in the market to purchase, already have a boat, and I am not on any concession.

She will be a good purchase.

Jim, just out of interest Helvetia is incredibly well kept, I was on her only last Thursday. You could eat your tea of the top of the engine.

It is a well made boat loved and looked after with beautiful lines and she swims and handles well.

I am not in the market to purchase, already have a boat, and I am not on any concession.

She will be a good purchase.

At the right price.