Forth and Clyde / Union Canals overnight stops?

AllanD

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, in July we will be heading from Ratho for 10 nights towards Glasgow and return. Any info on where to overnight or where not to would be very much appreciated. Also recommendations on eating out. Thanks AllanD.

Linlithgow is the obvious first stop, although it's a bit close. There is a bistro further on (about an hour) at Bridge 49, which is a pleasant stop, with mooring in the Causwayend transhipment basin.

I wouldn't stop overnight in Polment: it has a bit of a reputation, which possibly isn't as deserved these days as it once was!

My aim for second day would be down the wheel and onto the Forth and Clyde, probably hanging a right to the pub at Lock 16, or alternative Falkirk eateries.(There are a few, but I've not tried any recently!)

Passage on the Forth and Clyde is governed a bit by Scottish Canals' operation of Bonnybridge lift bridge, which they seem to like doing after midday, either 12.30p.m. or 1.30p,m,. After the bridge and locks 17-20, you can either stop at Auchenstarry (Gastropub good, but a bit pricey, last time we were there) or, depending on SC staff, time of day, time of month, etc, make it to Kirkintilloch or Glasgow Road Bridge (pub/eatery), which needs SC to operate Twechar and Hillhead brdges, so may not be possible, as there are Council imposed restrictions on operating times, and by the time the afternoon/evening rush hour is over, SC staff have probably gone home as well angry.png , so Auchenstarry may be a more achievable stop. Once past Hillhead Bridge in Kirkintilloch, it's plain sailing to Glasgow, although the bascule bridge just before Spiers' Wharf on the Glasdow branch needs SC operation. Good moorings at Spiers' wharf, about 10 minutes walk from the Clockwork Orange (underground!) and numerous pubs and restaurants.

Bowling can be reached in a day's cruising from Glasgow, but again needs SC operation of the locks and bridges.

e.t.a. Don't stop anywhere near Lambhill. Very bad reputation, in this case deservedninja.gifninja.gif

Edited by Iain_S

In addition to the above which is bang-on...

Avoid staying too long in Broxburn (Port Buchan) if school kids are about

Tie up to a tree in the Winchburgh Bings for one of the quietest spots on the canal

Four Marys in Linlithgow is good pub grub

The Stables pub is the west side of Kirkintilloch and is nice to stay over if there is space

The Boathouse @ Auchinstarry and Stables pub food varies between bad and good depending how fussy or hungry you are

By July we should have the new Community-Owned Moorings site just east of Park Bistro up and running informally. By informally i mean we will be welcoming visiting boats but it will be tieing into the bank and gang-planking it probably. It would be great if you would factor that into your plans and try the place out!

Have a good trip... :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi IainW,

I have sent you an email after I was provided your email address. Can you please advise if you have received it and it hasn't gone to your junk mail folder?

Thank you.

Bob

Edited by Mibosa