National water pump leaks

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Is there any way to seal the water pump? The main engine water pump is pumping water round fine but every up stroke it seams to let quite a bit of water onto the floor as if a seal or something has gone or the packing. But its pumping water round very well maybe to well as water never gets hot its not much but its going to bug me or is this normal?

Is there any way to seal the water pump? The main engine water pump is pumping water round fine but every up stroke it seams to let quite a bit of water onto the floor as if a seal or something has gone or the packing. But its pumping water round very well maybe to well as water never gets hot its not much but its going to bug me or is this normal?

Sounds like the pump seal, often leather, is worn and passing. Is your engine fitted with a thermostat, doesn't sound like it?

I dont think so as the water is always cold that comes out even after a good run :-( means no sticking a bowl over the side to wash my hands or washing them at locks or while on the move with warm water. But on the + side it cant over heat as easily when in shallower water.

Ok is it easy to get apart? Do the rn group do replacements or where can i get a replacement?

Sorry i have no real idea about these engines as far as how to take them apart.

I also need the oil strings for the rockers at the mo im just adding oil from a can every hour again can you get replacements

I have some parts but dont know what they are except a few.

• 3 months later...

The bottom of the water pump is easy to remove once the pipes are disconnected.

it should have 4 brass bolts and 2 locating dowels.

once the bolts are removed it needs to come about half an inch towards you before it will drop down leaving the pump pistons in place.

It is a big lump of brass and is easier to replace with help.

ps make sure anything dropped cant get into the bilges (I still have a brass bolt someware under my diesel tank).

Bob