kelvin p2r Exhaust from oil filler

Springer

Featured Posts

Hi Guys

Having recently part renovated my p2r it now appears to have exhaust gases coming from the dipstick and filler cap , which i only noticed after i replaced the filler cap lid washer and the dipstick blew out when it was running!!

any ideas with the cause please?

Nigel

As mentioned it is most likely piston rings. but with the setup on a P series I would also add head gasket blowing by between a cylinder and the hole that the valve push rods go through.

There are a couple of other possibilities but depends on how far stripped you had the engine.

hi martyn

We've spoken before actually, when i pressure tested the water side of the system some time agoo..

The engine has had new cylinder head gasget, valve springs and end bearings according to the invoice the gent whom i bought the engine off of gave me on purchase , he did the work in 2001 and i bought it in 2014.

He started it at the time albeit on easy start, but as i said had a different filler cap with a hole in the top where the chain used to be and no seal, so i guess it was releasing the pressure there.

I stripped the rest down and cleaned replaced seals ,any damaged parts and new exhuast box, gaskets , ect. and have had it running ok before i rectiyed the oil filler seal and cap.

So , where do i go from herefrusty.gif Please?

Nig

well changing the cap shouldn't have made any difference unless you had inadvertently sealed the crankcase. on the P series there should be a small copper tube between the rocker cover and the cylinder head that feeds into intake. This is essentially a closed crankcase breather, my first step would be to check that this isn't blocked and is allowing airflow from within the rocker cover to the intake. See if that sorts it. If that doesn't sort it then its likely you have more crankcase pressure than it should have and we are back to piston rings etc.

Edited for typo's

Edited by martyn 1