Featured Posts

All these tales of mishaps and difficulties will be putting the OP off!

I love the Nene, and the Middle Level waterways to which it leads, so much so that despite being based in Yorkshire, I've spent 3 of the 10 summers I've had the boat in the area. Neither do I rush to get down or up the river, for despite what people say, there are so many beautiful places to stay.

I heard that visitor moorings were very limited on the Nene?

I heard that visitor moorings were very limited on the Nene?

You heard wrong ;)

Coming downstream from Northampton.

Town centre moorings at B&Q & KFC on the westbridge arm (free)

Northampton embankment by Morrison's. Free

Northampton marina (small charge)

Midsummer meadow EA (free)

The Britannia (patrons only)

Washlands Ea (free)

Billing (chargeable)

Cogenhoe Mill (unofficial but free)

White mills marina (chargeable)

Wellingborough embankment (Free)

Water Ski club Ditchford friends of the Nene (small goba type membership)

Rushden & Diamonds EA (free)

Willy Watt Ringstead (small charge)

Woodford FOTRN (see above)

Ditchford (unofficial free)

Nine arches thrapston EA (free)

Islip EA (free)

Titchmarsh EA (free)

Peartree farm Aldwincle (FOTRN)

Wadenhoe (unofficial free)

Kings Head Wadenhoe (patrons only)

Wadenhoe water meadow (unofficial free)

Lilford (unofficial free)

Oundle Marina (chargeable)

Ashton cut (unofficial free)

Fotheringhay (small charge)

Elton Mill (unofficial free)

Queens head nassington (patrons only)

Yarwell mill (chargeable)

Haycock hotel Wansford (unofficial free)

Wansford Station EA & unofficial both free

Alwalton (unofficial free)

Ferry Meadows (free)

Boat House Thorpe Meadow (free)

Peterborough embankment (free)

Woolpack Stanground (patrons only)

I've left off some of the more out the way unofficial moorings and boat clubs as this isn't meant to be an exhaustive list ;)

Bbc today called it Nene. End of. wink.png

Of course they did. Everybody calls it the Nene. It's just that some people say Nen and some say Neen. I was told it changes at Thrapston. But what do I know - I live near a place called Bonchester and people call it Binster............

Of course they did. Everybody calls it the Nene. It's just that some people say Nen and some say Neen. I was told it changes at Thrapston. But what do I know - I live near a place called Bonchester and people call it Binster............

See earlier,

Blagrove and Imray must be responsible for that nonsense.

Having friends in Thrapston all my life i can say with certainty it doesn't change there.

Its more a Peterborough and beyond thing.

That said, there are far more people from out of the county living in the Nene Valley that its no surprise the pronunciation has been corrupted over the years.

You heard wrong ;)

Coming downstream from Northampton.

Town centre moorings at B&Q & KFC on the westbridge arm (free)

Northampton embankment by Morrison's. Free

Northampton marina (small charge)

Midsummer meadow EA (free)

The Britannia (patrons only)

Washlands Ea (free)

Billing (chargeable)

Cogenhoe Mill (unofficial but free)

White mills marina (chargeable)

Wellingborough embankment (Free)

Water Ski club Ditchford friends of the Nene (small goba type membership)

Rushden & Diamonds EA (free)

Willy Watt Ringstead (small charge)

Woodford FOTRN (see above)

Ditchford (unofficial free)

Nine arches thrapston EA (free)

Islip EA (free)

Titchmarsh EA (free)

Peartree farm Aldwincle (FOTRN)

Wadenhoe (unofficial free)

Kings Head Wadenhoe (patrons only)

Wadenhoe water meadow (unofficial free)

Lilford (unofficial free)

Oundle Marina (chargeable)

Ashton cut (unofficial free)

Fotheringhay (small charge)

Elton Mill (unofficial free)

Queens head nassington (patrons only)

Yarwell mill (chargeable)

Haycock hotel Wansford (unofficial free)

Wansford Station EA & unofficial both free

Alwalton (unofficial free)

Ferry Meadows (free)

Boat House Thorpe Meadow (free)

Peterborough embankment (free)

Woolpack Stanground (patrons only)

I've left off some of the more out the way unofficial moorings and boat clubs as this isn't meant to be an exhaustive list ;)

Thanks for that, it's good to know that there are more moorings than i was led to believe by other forum members. However, some of the unofficial moorings you've listed aren't visitor moorings at all. For example, I know for a fact that Cogenhoe only has long term moorings. There are no visitor moorings there, neither official nor unofficial and all the moorings are taken.

Edited by Claude

Thanks for that but some of the unofficial moorings you've listed aren't visitor moorings at all. For example, I know for a fact that Cogenhoe only has long term moorings. There are no visitor moorings there, neither official nor unofficial.

Claude, I hate clashing with you but you are wrong again.

Tie up above the lock, left-hand side facing downstream, walk to the mill, have a beer and enjoy your surroundings.

A few years ago the land owner banned all mooring due to some piss takers. They have been moved on and thankfully mooring is once again allowed.

The same thing happened at Elton mill.

We don't have what you would relate to a c&rt VM. There are either EA 48 hours or mooring with land owners consent - be that free or with a charge.

Chill and enjoy the river :cheers:

Edited by gazza

Claude, I hate clashing with you but you are wrong again.

Tie up above the lock, left-hand side facing downstream, walk to the mill, have a beer and enjoy your surroundings.

A few years ago the land owner banned all mooring due to some piss takers. They have been moved on and thankfully mooring is once again allowed.

The same thing happened at Elton mill.

We don't have what you would relate to a c&rt VM. There are either EA 48 hours or mooring with land owners consent - be that free or with a charge.

Chill and enjoy the river :cheers:

Have we "clashed" before Gazza? I wasn't aware. You obviously take these anonymous online conversations far too seriously and perhaps you're the one who needs to chill.

Anyway, if I'm wrong (again?) them so are the 2 blokes i spoke to the other day who moor at Cogenhoe, one of whom has been there for 7 years. That's always possible i suppose...

Edited by Claude

I am talking specifically about the farmers field opposite the mobile home park. I am not talking about any moorings adjacent to the park.

I hate doing the listen to a local bit. But honestly, listen to me :)

My old man is a former member of NBC and cogenhoe mill is a popular run from Weston Favel mill (NBC) guess where we moor up.....

You seem to take a hard line every time you engage in a debate. Hence my earlier comment

I am talking specifically about the farmers field opposite the mobile home park. I am not talking about any moorings adjacent to the park.

I hate doing the listen to a local bit. But honestly, listen to me :)

My old man is a former member of NBC and cogenhoe mill is a popular run from Weston Favel mill (NBC) guess where we moor up.....

You seem to take a hard line every time you engage in a debate. Hence my earlier comment

I honestly don't know what you're talking about? I thanked you for the list of moorings you posted and simply questioned whether some unofficial moorings were in fact moorings. Where's the hard line?

I am grateful for the advice but you do seem extremely sensitive if someone questions or disagrees with you. This is a discussion forum so there will always be differences of opinion. You need to learn to live with that sometimes. I now recall where we disagreed last time and again it was you who took a hard line because you hadn't read my post properly and so misunderstood and got it wrong. This time I will assume you're right so let's leave it there shall we? I will anyway because i don't take these silly online spats seriously, but this forum seems to have a significant number of members who can't handle disagreement and then hold grudges. It makes me laugh - life is too short. Take care.

Edited by Claude

Not really Claude, I can't be doing with arguing for arguing sake. I do robustly state and defend my case when I know I'm correct, as I was on the AF debate :)

Print the list of its a handy one you won't find too often.

The chill comment was meant exactly as that, Chill, kick back and enjoy the river, not chill out because you are wound up over our discussion on here.

Peace, out.

:cheers:

Edited by gazza

Cogenhoe is usable again, (at least, that's the information locally, and we've moored overnight there a couple of times without problems,) However, the signs forbidding mooring and threatening prosecution are still there, so you have to believe the local rumours, or have a bit of cheek.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

Bbc today called it Nene. End of. wink.png

I've heard the BBC call Cogenhoe cog-en-hoe, but as everybody knows it's pronounced cook-no, & it's annoying when they keep calling the river 'Neen' when everybody (except the weirdos from Peterborough rolleyes.gif ) knows it's pronounced nen.

As for the farmers moorings above the lock at Cogenhoe I believe you are supposed to go into the caravan park opposite & let them know you are staying there.

& here's the obligatory Fotheringhay shot (dont blame me Scholar Gypsy started it)

IMG_20140917_174603.jpg

• Greenie 1