Cattle Heads Up

mark99

Featured Posts

Mooring bag??

& is a bulls gob it's mouth or a euphemism for something else? Remember I grew up on a farm, but don't ever remember Dad mentioning that part of the bull huh.png

Are you at Lechlade by any chance Mark?

Fulbourne at Lechlade:

80%20Thames%20Lechlade%201st%20September

Tim

I picked up the High viz vest from the hedge row - total outlay for making the mooring pins highly vizable = £0.00

I generally knock my maureen steaks flush with the ground, so no trip hazard.

No need to waste time poking about in hedgerows!

"Shut yer crack" was another sometimes heard phrase.

Harrods bags are used to stop trippers complaining. The moment one realises they were tripped over by a real Harrods bag, it becomes immediate bragging rights at the coffee morning and ones social status is elevated.

Edited by mark99

I have experienced the stupidity of sheep more than once when boating (another animal bred for meat and no i am not vegetarian or vegan).

A sheep was in the water. I tried to help it out of the water. It was heavy. The animal fought against me with all it's strength.. The other time was a sheep with horns caught in a fence. It was trying to pull itself out but the horns were like barbs. I tried to push it back out but it kept pushing against me frusty.gif

Mooring bags may not have the same design specs as carrier bags re holes and also they may cost more than 5p smile.png

An excuse often used by Welshmen wink.png

• Greenie 3

Seen the odd cow floating in the Indian Ocean, once saw half a dozen that was floating around, must have died on a cattle ship and been pushed overboard. You can tell when you are down wind of one of those ships!

ANYWAY......... ref mooring pins we have a couple of old baked bean tins that I have painted white and pop those on top of mooring pins as a guide.

ANYWAY......... ref mooring pins we have a couple of old baked bean tins that I have painted white and pop those on top of mooring pins as a guide.

Ditto, though from memory (long time since we used them) ours are purple - as you might suspect.

So they are camouflaged against the boat and you can't see them to pinch them icecream.gif

biggrin.png

Hmmm reminds me of the old joke about Daisy the cow getting a Nobel Prize.

For being out standing in her field...

biggrin.png

Sorry....

Tell us an udder...

I met someone with a wooden top who moored at Lechlade and the cows ate his boat. huge great chunks chewed off it at the edges. They are particularly bold, and when we moored there they just trampled through our chairs and brolly, having made it plain we ought to get back on the boat.

Cattle won't die from eating a plastic bag - they'll chew it sufficienty to make it a non-issue. Silage is often (pretty much always) fed to cattle during the winter, and farmers use silage wrap to cover the silage pit. Gradually over the course of the winter, the face of the silage pit recedes, so the sheet needs gradually folding back and back. And its normally about 3-4m in the air, not possible to nip up; so its done with the telehandler's forks, bucket or box cutter, in an approximate way. Also high winds can move it around. So, invariable little bits of silage wrap get into the silage, and sometimes big bits! Most silage is chopped though (a cheese producer or high yielding cow herd is likely to do cross chop using a vertical axis feed wagon where a lower yielding herd would have it chopped in a horizontal axis - but that's not important); or dry cows and bulls might not get it chopped at all.

So, plastic sheeting is safe for cattle. Also, plastic bags tend to have little holes in the bottom to prevent suffocation.

Don't agree with this, the odd finely chopped piece probably won't hurt, but I know when my sister feeds her cattle with sileage she puts a lot of effort into making sure there is no plastic in it. They are also very careful with bale string, even cut bits as the cattle will try and eat it and it won't do them any good at all.

And yes sheep apparently are always looking for new and interesting ways to die.

Sue

I met someone with a wooden top who moored at Lechlade and the cows ate his boat. huge great chunks chewed off it at the edges. They are particularly bold, and when we moored there they just trampled through our chairs and brolly, having made it plain we ought to get back on the boat.

Maybe CRT should be employing cattle for encouraging bona fide navigation instead of enforcement officers?

"Please move to another place after 14 days or we'll send the cows down the towpath"

Would be good for sorting the tw@cyclists as well.

Edited by magnetman

Maybe CRT should be employing cattle for encouraging bona fide navigation instead of enforcement officers?

"Please move to another place after 14 days or we'll send the cows down the towpath"

Would be good for sorting the tw@cyclists as well.

Like this

post-261-0-60936200-1463655423_thumb.jpg

Very good (for a Canadianist!)

But pleased you didn't beef about my awful puns...

Hmm, I've herd about those. Apparently they're a load of bullocks. Try to make a bit more heifert, otherwise people will steer away from this thread and run hell for leather.

I don't suppose you'll be suede by my opinion, though.

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 1