Shallow shower tray

Featured Posts

Our boat was fitted with a shallow tray when we bought it and it was rubbish. Would flood every time. So we designed our own shower area based on a very deep enamelled steel tray, 900 x 600, German made and quite expensive. Best thing we have done, love to use the shower now. I think it is 150mm deep.

Our boat was fitted with a shallow tray when we bought it and it was rubbish. Would flood every time. So we designed our own shower area based on a very deep enamelled steel tray, 900 x 600, German made and quite expensive. Best thing we have done, love to use the shower now.

Thanks for your reply, sounds like a more expensive job then. Is your tray sunk into the floor?

Edited by Wild Is The Wind

No, not sunk into floor. Have arranged an easy access to the waste trap too. The original tray was 585 x 585, so I had to cut 15mm into one wall to shoehorn the new tray in. Then we used a 900mm Wesley Windows sliding door unit.

The deep enamelled tray sounds interesting smile.png

Many years ago when I had the bathroom shop, the two German brands (Bette and Kaldewai) both sold deep shower trays as described. A brief google suggests they don't any longer. Shallow trays are dead trendy at the moment.

shallow trays depend very much on the plastic sealing strip commonly used on modern systems at the bottom of the panels.

the intention is only to divert the sprayed water from running under the seal.

they do not seal against a flooded tray.

Looking at fitting a shower cubicle, can anyone confirm if the shallow shower trays they come with are OK? Ie wont flood and will fit flush to a tiled floor underneath the tray? Have bought a whale gulper pump. Thanks.

Any shower tray will flood if not pumped out. Run the pump when showering or have a handy switch.

I fitted a shower with a large tray for elbow room as much as anythig. I could not find a tray large enough amongst shower suppliers so I bought a large drip tray (the sort of thing garages use under cars for oil changes). It was made of tough durable plastic that I cut and trimmed to floor level..

And quite cheap compared to proper shower trays (which as well as being expensive, did not lend themselves to being cut and trimmed).

Here's a link for ideas.

http://www.hartleige.com/product/plastic-drip-trays