Bit of a Rant

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

On 05/07/2017 at 09:24, cuthound said:

We live canalside on the Coventry Canal. We get about one boat per month, summer or winter cruising past in the dark.

Had one go past at 03:00 a couple of weeks back. He set our dog barking which alerted us to his presence.

Ah but there might be dozens of them going past you (and the dog) don't notice!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not a chance that Zeus wouldn't hear them, he barks when a duck creeps onto the garden in the middle of the night, so a boat has no chance :D

I absolutely love night time cruising, dont get chance at the moment but if I ever retire? it will be done a good few times in the summer.

On 05/07/2017 at 09:39, cuthound said:

Not a chance that Zeus wouldn't hear them, he barks when a duck creeps onto the garden in the middle of the night, so a boat has no chance :D

Well I have to admit, yes he probably would notice a boat creeping onto your garden if he notices a duck creeping onto the garden.

But in my experience boats generally stay in the cut...

:D

35 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I can confirm that both Cuthound and Zeus noticed us creeping past yesterday morning though neither of them barked (but then it was after 11am).

He won't have recognised the boat because although we know its name, the previous owners were confused and had the wrong name written on. I'll get round to sorting this out sooner or later.

Frank

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

I can confirm that both Cuthound and Zeus noticed us creeping past yesterday morning though neither of them barked (but then it was after 11am).

He won't have recognised the boat because although we know its name, the previous owners were confused and had the wrong name written on. I'll get round to sorting this out sooner or later.

Frank

When I saw the long low nose of an Orion tug coming through the bridge I immediately thought is it "Twisted Reach", but then I saw it wasn't?

You should have introduced yourself after all these years Frank :cheers:

Next time feel free to stop and have a chat.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well I have to admit, yes he probably would notice a boat creeping onto your garden if he notices a duck creeping onto the garden.

But in my experience boats generally stay in the cut...

:D

The speed some of the come past I sometimes wonder if they or DQ will stay in the cut :P

I was varnishing the cratch and front door woodwork yesterday and it is amazing how many people only slow down if they can are someone on board or in the garden.

"Sorry didn't realise you were there" is the latest excuse when I popped up from the well deck as they sped past :angry:

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

The speed some of the come past I sometimes wonder if they or DQ will stay in the cut :P

I was varnishing the cratch and front door woodwork yesterday and it is amazing how many people only slow down if they can are someone on board or in the garden.

"Sorry didn't realise you were there" is the latest excuse when I popped up from the well deck as they sped past :angry:

Controversial perhaps, but I see no reason to slow down as much when passing a boat on its EOG mooring as an occupied one on mooring stakes or even goat chains. .

The owner knows there will be a rump of speeders so will have tied his boat up accordingly. Won't he??!

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Controversial perhaps, but I see no reason to slow down as much when passing a boat on its EOG mooring as an occupied one on mooring stakes or even goat chains. .

The owner knows there will be a rump of speeders so will have tied his boat up accordingly. Won't he??!

We are always tied up tight to the armco with chains and dont move at all even when major Richard Craniums speed past but its just crap manners and uneccesary to tear past after all not even coal boats need to be in that much hurry and the rest of us are just playing at it so whats the rush? I am with you totaly with the plonkers who have slack ropes what should they expect.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

We are always tied up tight to the armco with chains and dont move at all even when major Richard Craniums speed past but its just crap manners and uneccesary to tear past after all not even coal boats need to be in that much hurry and the rest of us are just playing at it so whats the rush? I am with you totaly with the plonkers who have slack ropes what should they expect.

There is still a need to slow down to a degree because as a boat passes, the water level drops as well as the backwards-then-forwards surge. The surge can be wholly countered by mooring securely but there is nothing the moored boat can do to prevent the way the boat sinks down vertically three or four inches when a richard cranium tears past.

There is still a need to slow down to a degree because as a boat passes, the water level drops as well as the backwards-then-forwards surge. The surge can be wholly countered by mooring securely but there is nothing the moored boat can do to prevent the way the boat sinks down vertically three or four inches when a richard cranium tears past.

Yeah agreed............we are both being polite today arent we with " Richard Cranium " :D

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well I cant speak for all EoG moorers,  but when I developed the mooring I put in 4 CRT type steel bollards so that I can use spring lines to moor securely.

Still irritates me when people pass so fast that I can hear the boat grounding as the 8 inches of water below it is sucked from under it.

3 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

You didn't know you had a dog until then? :D

Lol. Zeus isn't the kind of dog you can ignore. 

He is a rescue GSD, who had a shed load of issues when we got him. The most serious being his incessant barking which had resulted in a noise abatement order being served on his previous owners, giving them 30 days to solve the problem or have him put down. 

He hadn't had any training, couldn't walk without nearly pulling you over and wanted to kill every other dog he saw. His only saving grace was that he was great with people and children.

Nearly two years later, he only barks when he has a reason  (even if I don't always agree with his reason) walks nicely to heel, and has worked his way up to the top class at training school. He plays well with other dogs off the lead, but is still reactive to 9 out of 10 dogs when on the lead.

It has been hugely satisfying working with him to resolve his issues, but I think if I had known how difficult it would be and how long it would take (still not quite there yet with him), I might well have chosen another dog.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Nearly two years later, he only barks when he has a reason  (even if I don't always agree with his reason) walks nicely to heel, and has worked his way up to the top class at training school. He plays well with other dogs off the lead, but is still reactive to 9 out of 10 dogs when on the lead.

It has been hugely satisfying working with him to resolve his issues, but I think if I had known how difficult it would be and how long it would take (still not quite there yet with him), I might well have chosen another dog.

Respect++ and a greeno.

Daughter Elanor had much the same situation with Sally, the dog in my avatar, except she also had triggers involving small kids running, cyclists and men shouting, all a bit scary.

She's nine now and a different dog thanks to Elanor's hard work with her.

45 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You do know half of those are probably me.....

That'll be why Zeus barks then, he's saying "hi Matty".

You have a special place in his heart coz he ate the ham intended for you sandwiches, when you were painting DQ on the day we got him. :D

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Respect++ and a greeno.

Daughter Elanor had much the same situation with Sally, the dog in my avatar, except she also had triggers involving small kids running, cyclists and men shouting, all a bit scary.

She's nine now and a different dog thanks to Elanor's hard work with her.

That gives me hope, although I hope we resolve the last of his issues well before he reaches 9 (he was 14 months old when we got him and is 37 months old now) :glare:

• 2 years later...