National engine number

Jrtm

Featured Posts

On the National that I am familiar with: number is on the flywheel rim, also on the back of the engine and on the air inlet manifold. But, they are 3 different numbers, so it's anyone's guess which engine it actually is! I think you will find this is the situation with lots of old engines.

Bill

But, they are 3 different numbers, so it's anyone's guess which engine it actually is

I have recently set up the injector pump on a JP2 with a three cylinder flywheel. Old engines like to conceal their identities and set a few traps for the unwary

Richard

Got it its 46321 any one able to tell me what boat it came from

Fulbourne, registered in July 1937, was originally fitted with National engine number 46656. So yours is 335 engines earlier and may well have come from one of the earlier batches of GU boats.

I havent seen the number i got the info from the towy group. Just need to find its original boat name now. Just be nice to know.

Edited by billybobbooth

If im correct the dm2 was taken out in 1960 so must have been fitted to another boat or was in storage for a good few years before going into towy

Are you thinking COROLLA kept its original National until 1960, or are you saying you know it came out of another boat in 1960 - and what are you basing this on ?

Incidentally a National is a 2DM, a Russell Newbery being a DM2 captain.gif

If it was still in corolla it must have been sat somewhere for 4-10+ years or it was fitted to a diffrent boat and was removed from this and then it put into towy.

I know engines got swapped in and out quite a few had this done but at the same time alot of engines were kept or ended up back in there original boat.

It would seam odd to me it was still fitted to corolla as i cant really see someone removing an engine including the engine rods to have it sat or stoored till it was refitted to another boat.

So i would assume it was fitted to another boat. Either that or it was saved from scrap from bw doing an engine change.

But unless i can find the person that did it ill never know but its nice knowing what boat it was from originally.

Yes they are 2dms rather than dm2.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...