safety on the water

fergyguy

Featured Posts

We always wear self-inflating life jackets when out on our boat. We used to think they weren't necessary until an elderly volunteer lock keeper at Foxton fell in whilst trying to jump from our boat onto the bank in the centre pound (8'6" deep - try 'just standing up' in that) last year. He couldn't swim and would probably have drowned if it wasn't for his self inflating life jacket.

I can lift more than my own bodyweight in the gym, but I could bearly move him in his wet clothes when I tried to pull him up. Fortunately the only result was he got wet and had to go home to change, but it was a very valuable lesson.

Since then, we've bought three of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Crewsaver-Crewfit-165n-Sport-Auto-Harness-Red-Lifejacket-/331850596700?hash=item4d43d6415c:g:OmoAAOSwLs5XLlAp

They're unobtrusive and you can almost forget you've got them on.

Many comments occur that you need to wear a lifejacket, even as a strong swimmer in case you bang your head. Surely we should all be wearing motorcycle crash helmets instead.

Ah yes, I just found out this week that falling in isn't the only danger.

While crewing a tug I went forward to fend off when the tug went skew in a bridge hole.

I rapidly found out that the gap in front of me was narrowing FAST, so had to retreat quickly.

Result a badly bruised cheek bone, but could have been much worse.

Moral: do not try to stop the boat with your body.

Easy to forget!

I'm a poor swimmer and haven't yet worn a life jacket, however I'm very careful not to fall in:

I don't stand in the tiller arc, there's no need except for briefly when getting on/off, or changing steerer etc. depending on the boat

On a lockside I'm always concentrating on where I am and who or what's near me (as well as watching the boat and the skipper) and I avoid the edge, treading cautiously when I do have to go near it.

When on rivers I make sure I stay within the boat; no walking down the gunnels or along the roof there.

The other big hazards to my mind are crush injuries and hitting the head on a bridge or tunnel; the golden rule for preventing the latter is to always look forwards, or at least be well aware of what's coming up, when outside the profile of the boat.

Having said all the above, I did nearly fall in last month (on the T&M in water that was probably only 4 feet deep), stepping from the bow of one near-stationary boat to another when they were starting to move apart. The enemy is complacency.