Fishing (Grand Union Canal)

Featured Posts

hi there,

I was wondering if any one could advise. I will have my dad looking after our boat as we will be away for a week in the summer. Now, he's a keen angler and i was thinking about getting him the license so he can fish from the boat. It is likely to be Denham/Uxbridge/Rickmansworth area and I was wondering what else is required (apart from the license from EA) to be able to fish legally.

Many thanks!

Technically you need permission to fish from the controlling body. Much of the canal network's fishing rights are owned by various fishing clubs/ societies. The remainder is owned by CRT.

In the real world though clubs who own stretches tend not to bailiff them. The same applies to CRT. Many anglers tend to work on the basis that if there are no signs around saying private fishing it's free fishing. Not to say that it's right to behave in this way, but there you have it.

Pretty sure he'll need a rod licence from the EA too, in addition to permission from a controlling angling club.

There was a thread here recently where people were getting fined astonishingly large amounts for not having one.

Edit to add:

Here we are. "Anglers are being reminded of the importance of getting rod licences after a man was ordered to pay £900 for illegal fishing in a beauty spot near Tewkesbury."

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=84174

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

i am sure you need a EA rod licence even for your own water/pond/lodge.

Just get a weekly EA rod licence and fish away, if there are bailiffs for that stretch pay there and then when the ask, or ` sorry i didnt realise it is private` they cant do anything about it but ask you not to fish. On all the stretchs i have fished over the years i have only seen a water bailiff twice.

Pretty sure he'll need a rod licence from the EA too, in addition to permission from a controlling angling club.

There was a thread here recently where people were getting fined astonishingly large amounts for not having one.

Edit to add:

Here we are. "Anglers are being reminded of the importance of getting rod licences after a man was ordered to pay £900 for illegal fishing in a beauty spot near Tewkesbury."

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=84174

He knows a about the rod licence. I know you don't like reading threads before posting but at least try to give the op a scan over so you have a basic idea of what the thread is about...

• Greenie 1

Well fancy that and I've been buying annual one every year for ever....lol...great thing about this forum you get to learn so much.

its wearth getting an annual one if you fish enough, not much anyway at £27, i used ti fish 4-5 time a week but over the last few years i hardly go so when i do i get a daily.

Is there still such a thing as a fishing bailiff man?? When I was a kid around the yiewsley area we always saw them but since being on the boat I've never seen or heard of a fisherman being asked to show a rod licence. In my opinion I wouldn't bother I'd just fish and in the unlikely event of anyone asking I'll simply put the rod inside.

Darren

• Greenie 1

Is there still such a thing as a fishing bailiff man?? When I was a kid around the yiewsley area we always saw them but since being on the boat I've never seen or heard of a fisherman being asked to show a rod licence. In my opinion I wouldn't bother I'd just fish and in the unlikely event of anyone asking I'll simply put the rod inside.

Darren

theer is in busy places and folk who dont pay the small sum for an EA rod licence deserve to be fined and tackle confiscated.

And putting a rod down when the EA bailiff is there does not work, been there and seen it happen to a few chaps. Police intervened in the end.

theer is in busy places and folk who dont pay the small sum for an EA rod licence deserve to be fined and tackle confiscated.

And putting a rod down when the EA bailiff is there does not work, been there and seen it happen to a few chaps. Police intervened in the end.

Police called!!! well times must have change. When I was fishing as a kid it was a 60 year old man on a bike with his sandwiches in a napsack riding along the towpath

Darren

Police called!!! well times must have change. When I was fishing as a kid it was a 60 year old man on a bike with his sandwiches in a napsack riding along the towpath

Darren

That was maybe 20 years ago and earlier, not 50 years lol.

i am sure you need a EA rod licence even for your own water/pond/lodge.

Just get a weekly EA rod licence and fish away, if there are bailiffs for that stretch pay there and then when the ask, or ` sorry i didnt realise it is private` they cant do anything about it but ask you not to fish. On all the stretchs i have fished over the years i have only seen a water bailiff twice.

Actually they can under the 1971 theft act theft of fishing rights (e,g, not having a ticket/permission from the owner of the rights) is an offence. It's rare that it's used but there have been prosecutions and I understand in certain areas it is being clamped down on.

Nowadays you're most likely to be asked for your club "book" by a fellow angler. Members are encouraged to ask unfamiliar faces for their license, as it saves the club bailiffing costs and helps protect waters from poaching. If you can't show it the most likely outcome is you'll be asked to pack up. If you don't the member will probably ring the local police station, and depending how busy they are, they'll insist you shift and it could well end in court.

The response is largely dependent on the value of the water, and who owns it. A private syndicate paying a thousand pounds p.a. to fish a river or lake will take a less liberal view to incursions than the town A.A. with rights to the local cut. As with most things, a friendly admission of error and a chat about the presiding club goes much further than self righteousness indignation. Whatever, get a national river license or your lack of club water ticket will be seen as compounding your guilt should it ever come to fines.

Nowadays you're most likely to be asked for your club "book" by a fellow angler. Members are encouraged to ask unfamiliar faces for their license, as it saves the club bailiffing costs and helps protect waters from poaching. If you can't show it the most likely outcome is you'll be asked to pack up. If you don't the member will probably ring the local police station, and depending how busy they are, they'll insist you shift and it could well end in court.

The response is largely dependent on the value of the water, and who owns it. A private syndicate paying a thousand pounds p.a. to fish a river or lake will take a less liberal view to incursions than the town A.A. with rights to the local cut. As with most things, a friendly admission of error and a chat about the presiding club goes much further than self righteousness indignation. Whatever, get a national river license or your lack of club water ticket will be seen as compounding your guilt should it ever come to fines.

I can just imagine the police rushing out to deal with that when the can't even come out to real crimes...

Nowadays you're most likely to be asked for your club "book" by a fellow angler. Members are encouraged to ask unfamiliar faces for their license, as it saves the club bailiffing costs and helps protect waters from poaching. If you can't show it the most likely outcome is you'll be asked to pack up.

What gives a club member the right to approach a member of the public unknown to them and demand anything?

What gives a club member the right to approach a member of the public unknown to them and demand anything?

Most club licenses state that any member has the right to approach another person fishing on a club's water and ask for their book. A member must also comply with that request, or cease fishing immediately. They have no right of search, so neither a member nor bailiff can look in bags, etc. An angler calling the police to say that someone is "behaving suspiciously" would usually get a prompt response.

Edited by Locksprite