It's a Sterling, but not as we know it.

steve7a3

Featured Posts

I have one of these:
post-25113-0-81365400-1461784806_thumb.jpg

It doesn't appear to look like anything on the Sterling web site or anywhere else for that matter.

Does anyone else have one? If so do you have a manual for it?

What I'd really like to know is whether it has a starter battery charging circuit or not.

post-25113-0-81365400-1461784806_thumb.jpg

I have one of these:

It doesn't appear to look like anything on the Sterling web site or anywhere else for that matter.

What I'd really like to know is whether it has a starter battery charging circuit or not.

We have one of these.....can't answer your question though. Try emailing the picture to Sterling they will advise.

Don't hook your solars through it though the solar controller is pants.

Edited by tillergirl

Go to the link below and press open as PDF, you will then have the manual for it.

http://powertool.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/sterling_power_products/dai_3000c_12xx.html

Well, thank you very much for that!

It certainly answered the question ... and a few others I didn't even know to ask.

It clearly doesn't have a separate starter battery charger which is a bit annoying.

Well, thank you very much for that!

It certainly answered the question ... and a few others I didn't even know to ask.

It clearly doesn't have a separate starter battery charger which is a bit annoying.

Soz viewing on my phone and didn't realise it's a solar controller, if you need to keep your starter topped up you could try what I did, a 20w panel from eBay with a cheapo controller cost about £20-00, works a treat.

Phil

We have one of these.....can't answer your question though. Try emailing the picture to Sterling they will advise.

Don't hook your solars through it though the solar controller is pants.

Luckily (or unluckily, depending on the viewpoint) I don't have any solar on that boat.

Soz viewing on my phone and didn't realise it's a solar controller, if you need to keep your starter topped up you could try what I did, a 20w panel from eBay with a cheapo controller cost about £20-00, works a treat.

Phil

That's actually a very good suggestion and one option I was considering.

Was also looking at just setting up a split charge system with some sort of intelligent splitter in there.

I've done it before on a van where I had dual batteries and I'm assuming something similar would work here. On the van I had two identical batteries though. I'm not sure whether having such vastly different battery capacities on each side of the split it would work ok.

My starter battery is charged by the alternator when the engine is running, and at no other time. It was on the boat when I bought it in Sept 2011, and I dont go far.

So I dont really see a need to have a separate charging facility for a starter battery - not that it would do any harm.

I have one of these, the standby inverter consumption is pleasingly low and thus ideal to run a mains fridge from. The problem I have is the dc voltage measurement has drifted and underreads by 0.2v, so the charging voltage is a bit high. Worth checking.

Edited by Cas446

My starter battery is charged by the alternator when the engine is running, and at no other time. It was on the boat when I bought it in Sept 2011, and I dont go far.

So I dont really see a need to have a separate charging facility for a starter battery - not that it would do any harm.

Not much of an issue for a boat that's being run regularly, but for one that spends a lot of it's time in a marina connected to mains power, a charger for the starter battery is a good way, if not essential, to keep the battery "alive".

Not much of an issue for a boat that's being run regularly, but for one that spends a lot of it's time in a marina connected to mains power, a charger for the starter battery is a good way, if not essential, to keep the battery "alive".

As I said" I don't go far", so it gets charged very infrequently, but often enough in four and a half years to still be fine. I don't know how old it was when I bought the boat, and it's not a special type of battery.

But I don't disagree that there is no harm in having a charging facility other than the alternator.

As I said" I don't go far", so it gets charged very infrequently, but often enough in four and a half years to still be fine. I don't know how old it was when I bought the boat, and it's not a special type of battery.

But I don't disagree that there is no harm in having a charging facility other than the alternator.

Not just "no harm" but quite a lot of good too. Any battery will benefit from long periods of constant charging if you only move infrequently and have shore power. My charger has 3 output terminals two of which are connected together and go the the domestics, while the other one goes to the start battery.

My start battery is now 11 years old and still in top condition.

Edited by Claude

I too have the same Invertek Inverter. However, there is one problem I have , resulting in much head-scratching and have yet to solve. I know it will turn out to be obvious, but if someone has the solution, would be most grateful.

From the manual:

On P14 - System Adjustments - to access the parameters

"Push the pad marked FUNC (function) for 2 seconds and use up/down keys to scroll through the functions. (The display will show Fn00 up to Fn09 )".

However, on P17 - Disabling Functions - If you press the “FUNC” button for more than 2 seconds you can have access to the different possibilities shown in the following diagram ...

Pressing FUNC button for 2 seconds does perform as described on P17 (Fnc0, Fnc1, Fnc2, Fnc3), but I have yet to find how to access the System Adjustments menus described on P14.

Anyone know the answer?

Pete

Edited by Pennine

I too have the same Invertek Inverter. However, there is one problem I have , resulting in much head-scratching and have yet to solve. I know it will turn out to be obvious, but if someone has the solution, would be most grateful.

From the manual:

On P14 - System Adjustments - to access the parameters

"Push the pad marked FUNC (function) for 2 seconds and use up/down keys to scroll through the functions. (The display will show Fn00 up to Fn09 )".

However, on P17 - Disabling Functions - If you press the FUNC button for more than 2 seconds you can have access to the different possibilities shown in the following diagram ...

Pressing FUNC button for 2 seconds does perform as described on P17 (Fnc0, Fnc1, Fnc2, Fnc3), but I have yet to find how to access the System Adjustments menus described on P14.

Anyone know the answer?

Pete

P17 simply refers to the options available in Fnc5, accessed like all the other functions. P14 also shows the available states for Fnc5.

Tony

I have one of these:

Mine is identical looking. 3000w pure sine with charger built in adjustable to 100amp.

In 11 years only the on/off switch has failed twice. Bottom right hand corner so if you have same and it fails check that switch first.

Never bothered with solar as the inverter would need to be on for solar input to function.