DM2 oil consumption

mross

Featured Posts

What oil consumption is normal for a DM2? Mine is about 30 years old, not sure of the running hours. I have added about 4 litres in the 50 hours I have run it. This seems OK to me but I wondered if this was typical?

That sounds very excessive I'm afraid. I rarely need to top up mine in between 250 hour oil changes.

Just a few things, forgive me if it sounds like I'm teaching someone to suck eggs.

The range between the top limit and bottom limit on the oil stuck is huge. I tend to keep mine very close to the top mark. You could easily add 2-3 litres to get it from the bottom limit to the top (it's a big sump).

If you changed the oil filter on the last oil change, did you check the oil level before running the engine for the first time? If not the oil filter may have taken a lot of the oil and dropped the level on the dip stick. Always check the oil level after you have run it for while.

Leave the engine for a good 30 minutes after switching engine off before taking a final reading. If I check the dipstick a few minutes after switching it off I get a very low level reading on tbe dip stick. It takes quite a while for the oil to drain back into the sump.

Have you got any noticeable oil leaks (oil in bottom of boat)? The head gaskets can be a weakness on DM 2's.

Is she blowing out a lot of smoke when running or do you see a splattering of oil around the chimney area n the roof? If so, you may have a problem with the rings or bore.

Just a few ideas really. I hope it's nothing serious. If you are worried you could contact Dave Bixter at RN for advice.

I'll monitor more carefully, I can't remember what the level was when I bought her but I found the level on the low mark and topped it up to 3/4. The exhaust is a bit blue, depending on the angle of the light. There is no oil splatter on deck and no leaks from the engine, just a bit of oil from when I lubricate the governor linkage.

It's good to hear that consumption can be zero. Advice has been to check oil level daily so I inferred that the engines did consume some oil.

I'll monitor more carefully, I can't remember what the level was when I bought her but I found the level on the low mark and topped it up to 3/4. The exhaust is a bit blue, depending on the angle of the light. There is no oil splatter on deck and no leaks from the engine, just a bit of oil from when I lubricate the governor linkage.

It's good to hear that consumption can be zero. Advice has been to check oil level daily so I inferred that the engines did consume some oil.

Well fingers crossed for you.

The only time mine blew blue smoke was if I'd used the cold start (extra fuel) device and had forgotten to flick it down (most times it fell down on its own) but getting a face full of blue smelly smoke was a good reminder - normally when singlehanded and had to leave the tiller and nip down to reset it.

Didn't detract from the grin factor of a slow-revving twin though!!

What oil consumption is normal for a DM2? Mine is about 30 years old, not sure of the running hours. I have added about 4 litres in the 50 hours I have run it. This seems OK to me but I wondered if this was typical?

Too much although not horrendous. Maybe needs consideration of rings or a de-glaze at some stage but not yet

My DM2 is of a similar age, and has a slight oil leak, but I would only expect to put Maybe half a pint in during that time. During our summer cruise last year we didn't use two gallons including an oil change and over three hundred hours cruising. I know this as I took two gallon cans with me and did an oil change and topped up whilst we were out and had some left in one can when we got home.

On my last ship, the engines would use about 5 tonnes of lube oil per month! But it was quite cheap in bulk.

You sure the oil is going into the sump and not the diesel tank? ;)

On a serious note, if too much oil starts to get thorough the rings (or breathers) you could end up with a runaway engine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_runaway

It happened to a mate of mine so it does happen and it wrecked his engine. It might be worth getting someone to have a look at it. An engine rebuild might cost you a lot more. Lets hope it's something simple.

• 4 months later...

Mine has use around 2L of oil sence may but i have an oil leak that i must fix i also loose a tiny bit threw the gearbox forward and reverse shaft when its really hot. But ive done quite a bit of heavy long boating at not on tickover. Gone from rick to braunstone and back with about 10 hours of tickover not going anywhere. I get a bit of blue smoke on start up but only as i lift the lever and turn it over for quite a while before starting.

But mine has been modded when rebuiltso its more if a rn / national mix.