Newbie, Advice Needed!

John J

Featured Posts

Hi, first off thank you all for the wealth of information on the forum. I have been reading as much as I can over the past few months, and the knowledge I have gained has been invaluable! Thanks!

I have been to look at this boat

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Canal-Narrow-Boats-for-sale/lees-narrowboats-50-cruiser-stern/98300?redirm=1#MxW7gcrVuyeIZo64.97

and I am considering going to see it a second time and possibly making an offer subject to survey. To my untrained eye it is generally in ok condition, there are a few cosmetic things I would need to do as I am planning to live aboard. I viewed it on my own when everything was disconnected so I have not seen everything working, but I have been told everything works,and I would obviously ask to see everything working on a second viewing..

I would be very grateful if anyone would be able to have a look at the advert and share any thoughts or opinions they have about the boat, and its suitability for living aboard, probably continually cruising for much of the time. I know there is only so much you can tell without actually seeing it, but if there is anything you think I should be looking out for, or questions I should be asking the seller? any and all advice gratefully received! Thanks in advance, John

Welcome to the forum John.

Looking through the pictures it looks like it has been stood for a while so definitely see it running and maybe check the batteries as the shot of the red low light lit is I presume showing a low charge state so they may have sat with a low charge state for sometime which could mean you would need to replace them. Odd that the solar doesn't charge the domestics as well as the engine battery. The fitout looks quite basic so personally I would say it is overpriced and would be looking at atleast an offer of a few grand less than the asking price and more if you don't require the refit on offer.

And I would look to get your own survey, not just take the sellers word for it.

Edited by Rob-M

I'd say, get down to the bank - stuff a carrier bag with £30k in notes and go and buy it.

Looks good and I would suggest it wont' be about for long.

Toilet roll looks about ready to run out - maybe they will renew it for you.

Seriously - well worth a 2nd look but I'm not sure about the enforceability of a 6 month warranty - nice if you can.

Go for it.

Advert says the price includes a refit?

Therefore, we have budgeted a cabin refit. We will remove the folding bed and fit a permanent double on the port site with a walkway to the forward cratch on the starboard side. Under the new double will be plenty of storage. Above the bed there will be cupboards fitted giving you even more storage space making the forward cabin very comfortable.

THIS REFIT IS PART OF THE DEAL. Alternatively, if you want to do this we will discount the boat by £2500 making it just £36000.

I think I would be looking at a lot more boats.

Looks like a dealer is selling it, and they have taken no care whatsoever over its presentation for sale. At £38k I'd leave well alone - how many boats have you looked at to make you think this is as good as it gets at this price point?

But it does have a clever 3k inverter. Unlike my stupid one.

:)

I don't like that fit out for £38k. Maybe £32k at a push. Looks very basic and like a 'owner for out' to me. I didn't read the details as on my mobile it just views as a wall of text.

If you really like it I'd follow Alan's advice and turn up with £30k take it or leave it.

Not only that - but unless it is 'out of shot' there does not appear to be a battery box, or any method of strapping the batteries to stop them sliding out of the tray when the boat heels to 45o

There again - it seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing (when the 'inspector' comes a visiting) as to what the boat needs to pass.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replys! I am going to have another look at it with the seller there.. Im still thinking whether to make an offer..

I'd say, get down to the bank - stuff a carrier bag with £30k in notes and go and buy it.

Looks good and I would suggest it wont' be about for long.

Toilet roll looks about ready to run out - maybe they will renew it for you.

Seriously - well worth a 2nd look but I'm not sure about the enforceability of a 6 month warranty - nice if you can.

Go for it.

Cheers Alan, I will make toilet roll replenishment a condition of any offer I make.. I agree about the enforceability of a 6 month warranty..

Welcome to the forum John.

Looking through the pictures it looks like it has been stood for a while so definitely see it running and maybe check the batteries as the shot of the red low light lit is I presume showing a low charge state so they may have sat with a low charge state for sometime which could mean you would need to replace them. Odd that the solar doesn't charge the domestics as well as the engine battery. The fitout looks quite basic so personally I would say it is overpriced and would be looking at atleast an offer of a few grand less than the asking price and more if you don't require the refit on offer.

And I would look to get your own survey, not just take the sellers word for it.

Thanks Rob, I will defiantly see everything running, I agree it is odd that the solar only charges the starter.. I imagine its not too bigger job to wire it to charge the domestics as well? I would possibly add another panel anyway.. will defiantly get survey!

Since the advertiser seems to think it is 6 ft beam I would check everything else in the description is correct.

Thanks David, I think its a typo error as he got it right in the apollo duck advert for the boat..

Looks like a dealer is selling it, and they have taken no care whatsoever over its presentation for sale. At £38k I'd leave well alone - how many boats have you looked at to make you think this is as good as it gets at this price point?

Hi Richard, yes he is a dealer, mostly sells yachts i think. Ive looked at quite alot of boats, not quite so many in this price range, I agree it is overpriced.

I don't like that fit out for £38k. Maybe £32k at a push. Looks very basic and like a 'owner for out' to me. I didn't read the details as on my mobile it just views as a wall of text.

If you really like it I'd follow Alan's advice and turn up with £30k take it or leave it.

Thank you for the advice Junior

I thought open battery terminals were a "no no" BSC fail?

98300_-_photo_5_1444986338_img.jpg

Thanks Ray, Alan, and Ditch Crawler, I'll take a closer look at this when I see the boat again.. its got a bss untill 2018 and the man selling it is a bss examiner and tells me everything is compliant.. but he would say that..!

Thanks Ray, Alan, and Ditch Crawler, I'll take a closer look at this when I see the boat again.. its got a bss untill 2018 and the man selling it is a bss examiner and tells me everything is compliant.. but he would say that..!

I don't think he is allowed to examine his own boats

• 2 weeks later...

38k will buy you a lot of boats. If you don't know anything about boats, head along to a good boatyard (that doesn't do sales) and ask someone to go along with you to look at cheap boats and give you an estimate on refurbishing. That way, you get the boat you want. Like old houses, a lot of boats look good to the eye but it's when you start uncovering bits you see the Friday afternoon DIY-er's handywork.

Edited by Timbowilwo

I am puzzled. I have followed the link, twice, and it goes to a Boats & Outboards home page with pictures of lots of seagoing craft, but not of narrowboats. So how come other people have been able to view it?

I am puzzled. I have followed the link, twice, and it goes to a Boats & Outboards home page with pictures of lots of seagoing craft, but not of narrowboats. So how come other people have been able to view it?

Same here so I have no idea which boat is being discussed

Same here so I have no idea which boat is being discussed

I think it is a link which now no longer works.

The boat in question is a 50 ft cruiser stern narrowboat built in 2006 by Lees Narrowboats, and now named Lucy Lockett (formerly named Nelly). It is being sold on the BuyAnyBoat website and a link is http://buyanyboat.net/boats/50ft-cruiser-stern-narrow-boat-for-sale/

Thanks, Ron!

The first impression is that someone has bothered to take a set of decent photographs which show the boat at her best, using sunlight etc. to enhance her appearance. This is an indication that the owner cares about the boat - too often you get one dark, out-of-focus snap which tells you nothing apart from the fact that the owner couldn't care less.

There's much to like here, boat looks to be in very good nick and has most things that you'd need (especially a solid fuel stove, hard to spot at first but I found a photo of it eventually). The only criticism might be that the cruiser stern is very long, resulting in correspondingly less internal space.

The boat is not, as suggested above, offered at £38,500. She is offered at £36,000 as is. This includes the cross-bed which the owner seems to think is a Bad Thing, so he's offering to have it ripped out and a longitudinal fixed bed installed, which would account for the extra £2,500. Personally I'd keep the cross-bed (we like ours) unless you are very tall. You can get mattresses which split one third/ two thirds so that you can leave the bedclothes on during the day but still walk past (we like ours).

I recall a few horror stories about the fitting out of Lees' boats (one owner I knew proudly took delivery of hers only to find, after a couple of weeks of pervading and ever-increasing odours, that the toilet holding tank had no top on it, and that's before she found out about the unsafe gas installation), but these should have been ironed out during the boat's 10-year life.

Non-expert verdict: could do much worse.

• 3 weeks later...