Then and Now

AMModels

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I've always found "now" to be relative. One question, at what time does "now" become "then"? ^_^

Actually when we came past in January Hardy was in a worse state than the photo above.

Yes, but I would rather not see that picture as the "then" one with a "now" that shows what befell poor old Argo.

5 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Too many butties going this way unfortunately. 

Did I gather from a post elsewhere that one has just been saved from such a fate for at least the forseeable future?

If I did, then congratulations!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Nelson's Wharf. then, then and nowish.

Pictures from CRT Archive and or NarrowBoat Mag and Willow Wren's training site.

jason_alex_nelson_napton[1].jpg

wharfbefore[1].jpg

wharf2[1].jpg

I think even your bottom photo is now our of date, the pile of rubble blocking the arm was being removed last time I came past 12 months ago.

36 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Soulbury:

24707.jpg

(From CRT website)

They should have done that the other way round, or not at all, virtually no difference bar the workmen's portaloo that stands near the buildings on the right.

34 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I think even your bottom photo is now our of date, the pile of rubble blocking the arm was being removed last time I came past 12 months ago.

Yes it is, I don't have an up to date picture at the mo, which is why I wrote "nowish."

Edited by Ray T

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/19/2017 at 23:24, alan_fincher said:

My attempts at a "then and now" on a recent trip out with "Sickle".

The interval between old and new photos is about 45 years.

Details in blog post here.

IMG_3356.JPG

Zen_008_024.jpg

IMG_3359.JPG

Zen_008_025.jpg

Veggie's got a bit out of hand  & the boat doesn't look as though it's done much to up together & tidy:lol:

Islington tunnel eastern end (first picture shamelessly stolen from the internet)

Second picture taken by me today.

2hzo8ia.jpg

f0ytdu.jpg

I had no idea there was once a house there until today.

Edited by magnetman
edit to crop my photo in order to scale better
  • Greenie 1

I had a look at the brickwork and I reckon the frontage is original with the door and windows filled in with bricks but looking behind it appears that the back has been filled with earth as there are some trees.

I was a bit tempted to take the mooring pin hammer and whack a brick just to check :)

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 22:24, alan_fincher said:

My attempts at a "then and now" on a recent trip out with "Sickle".

The interval between old and new photos is about 45 years.

Details in blog post here.

Alan, what's the story of Sickle's disappearing and then reappearing top guard?

15 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Alan, what's the story of Sickle's disappearing and then reappearing top guard?

I think they were removed as part of the ice boat conversion.  Certainly all 4 boats (Sextans, Sickle, Theophilus & Tycho) feature in pictures with none present.

I don't know why for definite, but it may be because they sometimes had baulks of timber bolted on the outside of the boat to widen the channel being broken, (Sickle still has the relevant holes still there, blanked off with rivets).

Clearly when Sickle was restored in the ownership previous to ours a decision was taken to put them back, perhaps because the hull sides are only 0.2" thick on a Middle Northwich, and it was felt better to add the missing protection.  I think Sextans has regained them as well, but that boat is being progressively lengthened over the years, and has recently acquired a brand new section in addition the extra 10 feet it had already acquired some years back from the spare part of Thea.

But I'm guessing- I have never discussed it with those who did the work.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Islington tunnel eastern end (first picture shamelessly stolen from the internet)

Second picture taken by me today.

2hzo8ia.jpg

f0ytdu.jpg

I had no idea there was once a house there until today.

Quite a powerful set of pictures, the first a lovely home, and the second a homeless man, judging by the bedding behind the bench. 

Another one from London.

Standing beside Commercial Road looking towards the railway bridge (now DLR). On beginning of Lee Navigation/Limehouse Cut.

Note the wooden post with a ring around the top is still there (far right) but bollard has been removed as there is no longer a lock in that place.  Don't know date of first photo (60s?) but I took the second one today.

14cuvc7.jpg

jza16o.jpg   

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

• 1 year later...