River Nene lift out

Mick & Kath

Featured Posts

Hi All,

We are in the process of buying a boat that needs transporting to the Bridgewater canal from Northampton. I have secured a wharf to lower the boat into the water in the North West for £100, but could do with advice about the best wharf (or person) to contact to arrange for the boat to be lifted out of the river Nene. We have just been quoted £2330 or a full years mooring to lift a boat out and put it on the back of a truck.... After I was revived by the wife and given a stiff drink, I thought I would pose the question on here and hope that somebody could point me in the right direction?

Please note, we don't need advice about cranes and transport. It's just somewhere to lift the boat out of the water...

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

The boat is to big too navigate from Northampton to the Bridgewater canal and has to go by road... Thanks for the comments but all I need is a wharf or marina who want to help and don't charge silly amounts of money for using a bit of land for an insured crane and truck for a few hours. Lifting the boat out and onto the truck...

Kind regards

Blackthorne marina at Ringstead have a slip that they use to bring boats out on a trolly. You could maybe lift from the trolly to the truck, I can't Clive the owner is a helpful chap.

http://www.blackthornemarina.com

Other than that it may be possible at Ditchford as they have a decent wharf.

Hi all,

The boat is to big too navigate from Northampton to the Bridgewater canal and has to go by road... Thanks for the comments but all I need is a wharf or marina who want to help and don't charge silly amounts of money for using a bit of land for an insured crane and truck for a few hours. Lifting the boat out and onto the truck...

Kind regards

how big is the boat?

Yes, if it's moored on the Nene is there any reason a widebeam couldn't be taken across the Wash, up the River Witham and down the Trent to get it onto the northern canals?

widebeam_map.png

if it can fit thru Irthlingborough Pack bridge and Fotheringhay Bridge (both have narrow arches and are on a bit of a bend they can be hard work in fat boats) then as you say, the Wash is an option. A fair bit more prep than bunging it on a truck though.

i'm wondering if its the Northampton Crusader that was recently up for sale with Rugby Boats?

if it can fit thru Irthlingborough Pack bridge and Fotheringhay Bridge (both have narrow arches and are on a bit of a bend they can be hard work in fat boats) then as you say, the Wash is an option. A fair bit more prep than bunging it on a truck though.

Possibly. I may be faced with bunging mine on a truck and the thought of packing everything loose into boxes isn't very appealing. I crossed the Bristol channel 3 years ago and the prep wasn't that excessive.

Possibly. I may be faced with bunging mine on a truck and the thought of packing everything loose into boxes isn't very appealing. I crossed the Bristol channel 3 years ago and the prep wasn't that excessive.

I meant more in getting the boat (which we have no idea what it is yet) and the owner ready, there is a pilot that takes narrowboats across, Scholar Gypsy did it last year (albeit the longer trip for Denver to Boston) It can get a wee bit exciting out there other days will be mill pool calm. https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/scholar-gypsy-crosses-the-wash/

I meant more in getting the boat (which we have no idea what it is yet) and the owner ready...

Yes, that's what I meant too. The prep for tidal crossings isn't that excessive.

To some extent it might depend on the age of the boat and how clean the inside of the fuel tank is. If you have to empty and flush out a dirty tank then that could add a lot of prep.

Edited by blackrose

Yes, that's what I meant too. The prep for tidal crossings isn't that excessive.

To some extent it might depend on the age of the boat and how clean the inside of the fuel tank is. If you have to empty and flush out a dirty tank then that could add a lot of prep.

Spot on!

Would be nice if the OP would fill the blanks in save us second guessing :)

Looking at the figure quoted for lifting out / mooring, one could assume that that is at a marina located adjacent to a holiday park midway between Northampton and Wellingborough. I would have thought other options may be available. Blackthorn / Willy Watts would be a goer or contact Wellingborough council and see if they can allow it in one of their car parks along the riverbank!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have just been quoted £2330 or a full years mooring to lift a boat out and put it on the back of a truck....

That's disgusting.

I don't know but maybe you could lift it out at one of the boat clubs in Peterborough - worth a phone call to ask - or they might know somewhere suitable. Very friendly / helpful people when we were there last year.

Have you asked to Environment Agency? They must use a facility to get their boats in and out.

http://maps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/wiybyController?x=519500.0&y=299500.0&topic=offices&ep=query&scale=7&location=Peterborough,%20City%20of%20Peterborough〈=_e&layerGroups=1&distance=10&textonly=off

or maybe Wishbech Yacht Harbour

http://www.fenland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=2180&p=0

Edited by Tiggs

Friends of mine lifted their 70ft NB at Wisbeach

Edit

PM me if you want me to put you in contact with them

This crane looks big enough. There's also a boat lift a bit further along (see second photo).

dscf6249.jpg

dscf6248.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

• 6 months later...