Can Anyone Help Identify This Location Please?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

12764320_10153860323904070_2382806962832

This photo is one I took from a magazine but if anyone feels it would help I can get a better copy.

John Lower asks the question in the latest issue of Cuckoo Magazine:

"This photo is one of approximately 250 transparencies which I have been given by Sherin Roffet on behalf of her father, James Roffey. Around 50 of the pictures are of The Chesterfield Canal and the rest are around the system. They date from the early 1960s until 1981. On the left-hand side can be seen "Dawn", the bow section of an old Chesterfield Canal Boat after which the "New Dawn" project is named. The breaking up of this boat at Ellesmere Port was one of the catalysts in getting our boat building scheme started.

But where and when was this picture taken? Searching for clues I spotted the boat "Shell Fen" which is a broad beamed fuel tanker. The historic records indicate that this was owned by The Lorenz Brothers and kept on The Bridgewater Canal. Then in the foreground is the well known "President", it's steam slightly obscuring Dawn. "President was restored in the 1970's and relaunched as a steamer in 1978 so it had to be after that. Then in the collection of pictures are some of a rally at Northwhich and others of The Anderton Lift, so I assume this was taken at the Inland Waterways Association's National Rally at Northwich in 1979.

Finally "Dawn's" paintwork looks very smart. So was she on her final journey to Ellesmere Port when her owner, Ike Argent, presented her to the museum to be saved as the last Chesterfield Canal Boat? Can anyone help with more information? The Dawn Rose Team would love to hear from you".

Hmmmm, could it be on the Weaver? I'm not familiar enough with the river to know but it may prompt someone else. I had got the "vibe" it was pre '79 just from the photo colours (time related changes) and clothing if I'm honest! I used to work in the photo industry so have some experience but it's not definitive or forensic. - I'm an Engineer, not a chemist.

The dating of 1979 based on President's steaming only bothers me because the photo shows it's "stack"/chimney with what appears to be a diesel spring-loaded rain flap thing. DON'T SHOOT ME, it's just what I think it looks like...

The dating of 1979 based on President's steaming only bothers me because the photo shows it's "stack"/chimney with what appears to be a diesel spring-loaded rain flap thing. DON'T SHOOT ME, it's just what I think it looks like...

Interesting... Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Stanley Ferry, IWA National Rally.

What year was that please?

It may not be Stanley Ferry as this was the National Rally, and there appears to be no fencing on top of the bank:

gallery_6938_2_27631.jpg

Regarding Shell Fen, Geoff Wheat brought the boat over to Lancashire from the Fens in 1975 according to the dates on his slides. Roger Lorenz's slides were not as well sorted as he had been trying to put them into subject areas. There are several of Shell Fen on the Weaver, and I suspect the date is 1976 or 1977. There is nothing which seems to relate to the photo in question though.

gallery_6938_2_90229.jpg

Finally "Dawn's" paintwork looks very smart. So was she on her final journey to Ellesmere Port when her owner, Ike Argent, presented her to the museum to be saved as the last Chesterfield Canal Boat? Can anyone help with more information? The Dawn Rose Team would love to hear from you".

Ike Argent donated DAWN to The Boat Museum, Ellesmere Port in 1983. It was reported in Waterways World magazine July 2005 that DAWN was to be broken up due to its deteriorated condition captain.gif

Looks like the funnel, in front the shorter safety valve vent pipe and to one side the whistle which was the arrangement when first put back to steam when owned by Messrs Bostock and Braine.

The picture of Shell Fen in the lift is after the Ellesmere Port Easter event 1976 or there abouts. We had just come up the Ship Canal.

The girl is Alison, we were engaged at the time. We married 2 years later on.

The chap steering is Bob Green, Paul Lorenz is behind Alison. I was up the fore end, behind Roger with the camera.

The handsome dog is Randy.

Tim

In the top photo, I think it might be the tug 'Enterprise' alongside 'Dawn'

I'm amazed to hear that Dawn was broken up - it was in immaculate condition when Ike owned it.

It is a great shame it was allowed to deteriorate to the point that it was scrapped. What is sadder to my personal view is that that the knees and other fittings were not made available for it to be rebuilt. The majority of old boats (especially wooden ones) are a little like Triggers Broom. When building Dawn Rose (using traditional methods from detailed plans made of one of the old Chesterfield boats) if those items had been available to the team then they may have been able to record the boat as a restoration of the original. Instead it is has the label of being a new boat.

But ... whether it is new or not it is a wonderful boat and a great testimony to the team that have worked so hard to create it.

More about Dawn Rose can be found here:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/on-the-water/new-dawn

'Shellfen' was certainly at the Northwich Rally - don't recall it being at Wakefield.

Would "President" be able to get to Wakefield?