1.5 breather

Darren72

Featured Posts

My engine breather doesnt have a pipe leading to the air box as recommended by some. I have an history of a mist coating on my engine which I presume is coming from the open breather. NO I dont have too much oil in the engine. Does connecting a pipe to the air box result in blue smoke from the exhaust? Can I not just connect a pipe from the breather to a container to collect the oil so I can monitor the loss? Plus connecting a pipe to the air box surely will clog the filter?

My engine breather doesnt have a pipe leading to the air box as recommended by some. I have an history of a mist coating on my engine which I presume is coming from the open breather. NO I dont have too much oil in the engine. Does connecting a pipe to the air box result in blue smoke from the exhaust? Can I not just connect a pipe from the breather to a container to collect the oil so I can monitor the loss? Plus connecting a pipe to the air box surely will clog the filter?

Yes, better into a bottle or into the drip tray.

Some incarnations of this engine have a breather pipe pointing straight down into the engine bilge. In a road vehicle, this would leave oil vapor and droplets behind on the road

It's pretty easy to adapt this to exit into a container in a boat, or set up something similar

Richard

The crankase breather on our BMC 1.5 is routed into the steel gauze air filter

Yes and the oil mists operation is so crap it oils the wire mesh. That's fine for the wire mesh type filter but not so good with a foam filter and even worse with a paper element type filter. I have known new but run in 1.5s throw oil mist out of the breather, most old ones do it. I agree with Richard etc, route the breather into a milk bottle sitting net to the engine.

Jaguar were I think one of the first to introduce decent crankcase emissions control way back in 1959 with the introduction of their Mk 2 series of cars, 2.4, 3.4 and 3.8, mainly to satisfy the American market who were very fussy about oily roads, the UK wasn't too bothered about it at the time hence all the oily patches all over our roads which was on a par with all the dogs muck on the pavements.