Canal Events Calendar 2016

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Each year I try and summarise some of the main canal events coming up during the year, particularly those designed for or which attract historic ex working boats.

This is often a bit "approximate" in the early stages, where some dates are either not yet publicised, or where people have made a best guess based on previous year events, but not necessarily come up with the correct date.

Unless I specify below that something is a guess, I think I have checked all the dates involved against at least one source that quotes them.

Fri 25th - Mon 28th March - Easter at Ellesmere Port

Sat 30th April - Mon 2nd May - BCLM Tug Gathering
Sat 30th April - Mon 2nd May - Canalway Cavalcade, London

Fri 13th - Sun 15th May - Titford Pumphouse Rally

Sat 21st - Sun 22nd May - Rickmansworth Festival

Sat 28th - Sun 29th May - BCNS 24 hour Marathon Challenge
Sat 28th - Mon 30th May - Crick Boat Show

Sat 4th - Sun 5th June - Etruria Historic Boats Gathering

Sat 4th - Sun 5th June - Ashby Canal Association

Fri 17th - Sun 19 th June - Middlewich Folk & Boat Festival

Sat 18th - Sun 19 th June - Stoke Bruerne Family Festival

Sat 18th - Sun 19 th June - Foxton Locks Festival

Sat 25 th - Sun 26 th June - Braunston Historic Boats

Sat 30th July - Linslade Canal Festival
Sat 30th - Sun 31st July - Audlem Festival of Transport

Sat 6th - Sun 7th August - HNBC 50th Anniversary & Campaigning Rally - Basingstoke

Sat 13th - Sun 14th August - Blisworth Canal Festival

[GUESS] Sat 27th - Mon 29th August - Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Sat 27th - Mon 29th August - IWA Festival Of Water - Pelsall

Sat 3rd - Sun 4th September - Shackerstone Festival

Sat 10th Sun 11th September - Stoke Bruerne Village at War

Sat 17th to Sun 18th September - Tipton Canal Festival

Sat 24th to Sun 25th September - Parkhead Canal Festival

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

Thanks to Alan for his toil in compiling this list each year.

To elaborate a little, the Ashby Canal event on 4th and 5th of June is to commemorate the golden anniversary of the body's foundation in 1966. It will take place at what they call Snarestone Wharf; I am not sure if that's the same place as the former commercial loading staithe "Gopsall Wharf" or not.

I've just checked. Gopsall Wharf is actually only a mile south of the tunnel. If you're planning on going, the new winding hole is now in water at the new head of navigation, but is only good for 50' boats. There's quite a bit of room to moor up on the "new" water, as long as you don't mind demonstrating your reversing technique. You'll need to book space with the ACA for the festival weekend though. It was good fun last year, but be prepared to buy more bric a brac than you really need!

Thanks for this Alan, and for your help earlier,

we are booked in to attend Ellesmere Port at Easter, and the Braunston rally in June, with the business, not with Tawny.

We're also looking at what others to go to.

We will of course also be taking part in the BCN challenge, and that's definitely with Tawny, play not work that weekend.

Sue

Friday 18th - 19th March Steam Boat Association Swan Lane Wharf, Coventry, CV2 4QN. Dates need confirmation.

Think you will find that this one is 18th June

This ably demonstrates the hazards of trying to produce such a list!

Keep them coming, though.

What do you mean? I've put things on the calendar before. I don't think I'm a moderator.

Then it has changed - as a minimum it used to be that everything required moderator approval.

Also, can you easily amend, or delete, when somebody tells you it is wrong?

Thanks for doing that Alan, it was only a couple of days ago I was thinking that you hadn't done it yet this year!

I think there's a few things going on up the Leeds & Liverpool this year for the 200th, also a few things happening in Liverpool I think at some point.

Thanks for this Alan, and for your help earlier,

we are booked in to attend Ellesmere Port at Easter, and the Braunston rally in June, with the business, not with Tawny.

Looking forward to seeing you both at the Port. Are you bringing Tawny up for accommodation?

Unless it has changed, I think only a moderator can do what is required.

What do you mean? I've put things on the calendar before. I don't think I'm a moderator.

Then it has changed - as a minimum it used to be that everything required moderator approval.

Also, can you easily amend, or delete, when somebody tells you it is wrong?

OK it seems that we can now freely add events ourselves - this certainly wasn't once the case.

I will try and find time to add those from my original list, but can I please make the plae tha those who have suggested further ones add their own.

Another plea - if a date is "not confirmed" or is a "best guess", please make this very clear when posting it.

OK it seems that we can now freely add events ourselves - this certainly wasn't once the case.

I will try and find time to add those from my original list, but can I please make the plae tha those who have suggested further ones add their own.

Another plea - if a date is "not confirmed" or is a "best guess", please make this very clear when posting it.

It worked really well last year and easily took the crown as most comprehensive events list to be found online.

Thanks for doing that Alan, it was only a couple of days ago I was thinking that you hadn't done it yet this year!

I think there's a few things going on up the Leeds & Liverpool this year for the 200th, also a few things happening in Liverpool I think at some point.

Looking forward to seeing you both at the Port. Are you bringing Tawny up for accommodation?

Probably not, it's just going to take too long to get her there weekends only. I think we'll need a hotel room.

Sue.