Shropshire Union Tyrley Locks

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello.

May be of interest to some.

In January I read on the stoppages programme that these locks were to open mid to late January. We made our way here, the day before arrival I read that they reopened mid February. Anyway we were committed and arrived here a week and a half ago. There's water and elsen point. A bit of a slog back from town with shopping, but hey ho! That's boating.

Now my reason for starting the thread. Just spoken to CRT staff onsite hoping to hear that they would open sooner, alas, no. There's a delay. A wall needs attention and we are now looking at early mid March. Woods eaves Cutting is closed for removal of trees. We are stuck.

A member of the Enfocement Team went by yesterday taking numbers and so on. I asked him if he knew anything. He didn't.

This may sound like a moan about CRT but it isn't, maintenance has to be done,and I welcome it. Just would be better if we were in Market Drayton rather than a forty minute ladened walk back with shopping.

Oh! The joys.

Spoken to Martyn. He winds at Godstone. Anyway, such efficiency that Brian delivered some coal by road last Friday.

In the future we 'may' need a gas bottle but not yet.

Good to know about the taxi. Thank you Cloggy.

Just got back from town. You'd think I would be getting fitter by now, doesn't seem that way. Ought to stop stocking up on vino each time. That may help.

Going to test Morrisons home delivery for the first time.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Cloggy. Do you have personal experience of Dawn. I've just been online to look for a number, which I have.

However, the reviews I've found are not very complimentary to say the least. It would be good to hear a few good words before committing.

Martyn

Cloggy. Do you have personal experience of Dawn. I've just been online to look for a number, which I have.

However, the reviews I've found are not very complimentary to say the least. It would be good to hear a few good words before committing.

Martyn

Never had a problem with Dawns. As with all smallish towns taxi services they can be a bit hit and miss but have always been on time (when they've answered the phone in the first case). We normally shop then go to Wetherspoons and phone them from there. There's a list of cab companies on the wall at the end of the bar. Hope this helps

Hello.

May be of interest to some.

In January I read on the stoppages programme that these locks were to open mid to late January. We made our way here, the day before arrival I read that they reopened mid February. Anyway we were committed and arrived here a week and a half ago. There's water and elsen point. A bit of a slog back from town with shopping, but hey ho! That's boating.

Now my reason for starting the thread. Just spoken to CRT staff onsite hoping to hear that they would open sooner, alas, no. There's a delay. A wall needs attention and we are now looking at early mid March. Woods eaves Cutting is closed for removal of trees. We are stuck.

A member of the Enfocement Team went by yesterday taking numbers and so on. I asked him if he knew anything. He didn't.

This may sound like a moan about CRT but it isn't, maintenance has to be done,and I welcome it. Just would be better if we were in Market Drayton rather than a forty minute ladened walk back with shopping.

Oh! The joys.

I'm curious to know where this information was published about them opening in January and then the subsequent information saying February. The information that i got back in September when the stoppages programme was published said that both Tirley & Audlem locks would reopen on 11th March. As far as I am aware that is still the case and I've not seen anything to the contrary. The only reason I ask is that I bumped into somebody else today who was headed your way and was also under the impression they were reopening soon.

Dawns cabs charge £4 back to Tyrley, Martin on Halsall is on route if you need supplies and is expecting to wind at Tyrley

Already been and gone. Just tucked into a juicy steak at Norbury. I wind at Godstone as I know I can get round there. I don't want to run the risk of going all the way up to Tirley and not being able to get round. It would be one hell of a reverse back to Goldstone from Tyrley!

Martin.

In answer to your question.

Knowing that Adderly and Audlem locks not opening until mid March we 'planned' to arrive at Tyrley locks as they would have opened, in my mistaken view, mid January.

I am convinced that I read on the stoppages site, the above info. A guy on the boat behind us who has been here a week longer, was also under that impression. The stoppages site the last time I looked, this morning, says that they are due to open here at Tyrley on the, I think, 19/02

As I mentioned earlier, I have spoken to guys here working on the locked that it's now about the 11/3 for opening. It's not a problem other than what I have already mention.

Woodeaves Cutting was due to close yesterday, the contractors have not,as yet, turned up. CRT had to clear all their stuff from the lock side at Tyrley Lock in preperation for the contractors arrival.

Just checked the stoppages page and it still states 19/02.

And relax.....

Hope your steak was as good as you said it looked.

• 2 weeks later...

Dilemma. What would you do?

We are still here at the top lock at Tyrley a Locks.

Visually, it looks like all the work has been completed. Chains are off and the lock sides cleared of equipment. All pounds back up to level.

When the guys finished Friday afternoon nothing was said about transit of the locks.

In the words of who knows who, should I stay or should I go?

May wait til the morning and ask.

Martyn

I got an email last Thursday saying the stoppage was extended until Friday the 11th March.

"Notice Alert

Shropshire Union Canal
Starts At: Tyrley Lock 1, Tyrley Top Lock
Ends At: Tyrley Lock 5, Tyrley Bottom Lock
Up Stream Winding Hole: Park Heath Winding Hole, between bridges 49 and 48.
Down Stream Winding Hole: Market Drayton Turning Point

Friday 19 February 2016 08:00 until Friday 11 March 2016 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: (Re)Construction

This is an extension to the original published stoppage works at this location in order to complete gate replacement works and various other repairs across the flight to resolve leakage and operational issues. In addition to essential customer safety related works to lock ladders through the flight of locks."

Yes, I am aware of the extended stoppage, speaking to staff onsite we have known about this for two weeks or more.

However, as I have mentioned all the locks seem to have been cleared of all equipment etc.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Martyn

Edit to add, I have heard talk that Adderly and Audlem have completed early. I know no more.

Edited by Nightwatch

What would you have done if you didn't receive stoppages notices and you had just turned up? From your description I would have just carried on unaware that the flight was supposed to be closed. In my experience, closed short flights are locked both ends, usually with a sign saying "canal closed".

It may be that one group of contractors have finished but another lot could be turning up at 8 tomorrow morning. If all the gates and paddles are unlocked and operational I would go now!

I have and it isn't. All the fences and safety barriers are propped up against the hedge. The work boats are now above the top lock, occupying the water point.

I wouldn't like to go down and get stuck or summat. And get a telling off. I would have thought someone would have informed us. They know we have been waiting for three weeks.

Martyn

What would you have done if you didn't receive stoppages notices and you had just turned up? From your description I would have just carried on unaware that the flight was supposed to be closed. In my experience, closed short flights are locked both ends, usually with a sign saying "canal closed".

It may be that one group of contractors have finished but another lot could be turning up at 8 tomorrow morning. If all the gates and paddles are unlocked and operational I would go now!

There were chains and locks. Now gone.

I'll go in the morning a reckon.

Transited the Tyrley Locks just. They are not officially open, but they are cleared as I have said. Due to put everything back in a week or so to complete the works.

We did hear that both Adderley and Audlem were reopened but it seems they are not. So we spend a couple of days in Market Drayton and replenish the stores, oh! And check out he Talbot and others.

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...

Don't suppose anyone on here is hanging around in Tyrley?

I'm approaching from the south and have my fingers crossed I might get through tonight or tomorrow morning as word on the street is that they MAY be finished sooner than the COP tomorrow that is still the 'official' answer when you call CRT and ask somebody sat in an orifice.