boat fire at Wolverton

waterworks

Featured Posts

Yesterday a man was taken to hospital after a parrafin heater he was using inside his cabin burst into flames, he managed to put it out, but was burnt, and taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhallation and shock. We don't know why the fire started yet so don't speculate. As far as I know he's not badly injured.

His name is Alan, and the boat is called " Kingfisher".

Edited by waterworks

Yesterday a man was taken to hospital after a parrafin heater he was using inside his cabin burst into flames, he managed to put it out, but was burnt, and taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhallation and shock. We don't know why the fire started yet so don't speculate. As far as I know he's not badly injured.

Flippin eck.

Always a tragedy when anyone is hurt, and hopefully gets well soon - but it looks like the speculation has already started :

..........We don't know why the fire started yet........

..........a paraffin heater he was using inside his cabin burst into flames.........

Always a tragedy when anyone is hurt, and hopefully gets well soon - but it looks like the speculation has already started :

..........We don't know why the fire started yet........

..........a paraffin heater he was using inside his cabin burst into flames.........

That is not speculation it is fact. I meant we don't know exactly why the heater caught fire yet. Edited by waterworks

Sorry to hear that- hope he's ok.

I'm currently moored in the area, if there is anything I can do to help please pm me.

Ditto!!

My girl rang me up crying the other day because "the gas boiler had exploded". Still not sure quite what happened there!! But the ceiling is pretty damn charred, quick thinking on her part got the animals to safety and the fire out with the extinguisher.

Always a worry on a big metal box filled predominately with wood with a big old fire at one end and a load of gas bottles on the other. Have to be so careful...

cripes , Parafin heaters always frightened me so stay away , But agree any heater / stove are accidents waiting to happen if not treated with respect . Bloody huge gust of wind caught the boat this morning and it lurched just as I was kneeling putting coal on the stove , I have cut and burned my hand grrrr . you cant be too careful .

hope this guy is ok

Hope you're okay also.

ha ha yeah thanks , tis just a flesh wound , some of the missues " magic Cream " has soothed it nicely , could have been worse though nearly chinned it . boats like a roller coaster in this wind , bit exposed here .

Ditto!!

My girl rang me up crying the other day because "the gas boiler had exploded". Still not sure quite what happened there!! But the ceiling is pretty damn charred, quick thinking on her part got the animals to safety and the fire out with the extinguisher.

Always a worry on a big metal box filled predominately with wood with a big old fire at one end and a load of gas bottles on the other. Have to be so careful...

Hey DD you were moored opposite us a couple weeks ago at grove . Glad your missues and dogs ok that sounds nasty any idea what caused it ?

Saturday 6 February, 4.05pm

Small fire on canal boat, Grand Union Canal, off Deans Road, Old Wolverton. One appliance and crew from Great Holm and one from Broughton attended. Firefighters used a water backpack and a thermal imaging camera. A man was in the care of South Central Ambulance Service.

Edited to say this is from Bucks Fire Service website. Not good news for the poor chap.

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice

I have and use a paraffin heater on the boat. It is one of the modern ones tho and a lot safer than the ones of old and don't seem to get much more condensation than without. So it would be interesting too see if this heater was an old one or one of the new ones with removable tank, etc.

Edited by Robbo

Old ones had removable tanks as well, well the ones we had when I was a kid 65 years ago did.

I remember ones with a glass bottle for a tank, used some type of siphon valve, they also had an extra foot on the base that shut off the fuel and dropped the wicks if weight was taken off it

Old ones had removable tanks as well, well the ones we had when I was a kid 65 years ago did.

The one that I have doesn't use a wick but electronically injects the paraffin into a burner. It's more efficient, has a thermostat, monitors the air quality and turns off if it gets kicked/knocked over. Requires electric tho (about 8-13w after starting)

Edited by Robbo

Terrible thing to happen. I hope he recovers fully.

I have used a few paraffin heaters in France and the biggest no, no, was to never fill them while hot. I personally don't like them as need ventilation, and too much condensation.

On the subject of ventilation and condensation, they have caused CO deaths on boats.

However on the subject of fire, it can be even worse than this latest incident at Wolverton

See this report from Bristol that was witnessed by a member of this forum.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-boat-owner-died-spilling-paraffin-heater/story-11237088-detail/story.html

The general basic starting points with any appliance - gas, solid fuel, oil etc

• Install properly
  • Maintain routinely in accordance with instructions
  • Use correctly as advised in the owner's manual

So in another boat fire incident last December in which a paraffin lamp was being fuelled with petrol did not meet the last bullet point.

The owner suffered burns but survived.

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice