BSS regs file

W+T

Featured Posts

For the life of me i can not find the BSS file, i had it on my old laptop but now i cant find the copy, just the 2013 updates.

Has anyone got the link to it please.

While i am here to put my mind at rest, i can fit 12v leisure batteries in a main cabin foot locker if they are sealed type?

Cheers

Wolly :)

They do seem to have hidden the old book:-

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss%20guide%202005%20complete%20web.pdf

So I found the above - hope that's what you want.

Sad to say I'm not a great fan of the BSS management style - BSS is a good thing - but not if they are at liberty to hide what the rules actually are, rather than allow confused examiners to say something different (there have bee several reports of incorrect statements made by examiners on here recently)

BSS is to me what CaRT is to Laurence Hogg....

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss%20guide%202005%20complete%20web.pdf

Sad to say I'm not a great fan of the BSS management style - BSS is a good thing - but not if they are at liberty to hide what the rules actually are, rather than allow confused examiners to say something different (there have bee several reports of incorrect statements made by examiners on here recently)

BSS is to me what CaRT is to Laurence Hogg....

You are the man :), that is it. i had it in hard back until i sold a boat and left it on the boat, then i saved it on a file on my last laptop then that broke so lost it again before i could print it off and laminate it.

many thanks ;)

While i am here to put my mind at rest, i can fit 12v leisure batteries in a main cabin foot locker if they are sealed type?

Cheers

Wolly :)

Now you have the book see section 3.1 Note 1. You'll need to show that the foot locker conforms to the battery manufacturer's spec.

Tony

Sad to say I'm not a great fan of the BSS management style - BSS is a good thing - but not if they are at liberty to hide what the rules actually are...

You need this latest version if your boat is a privately owned privately managed craft.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/private-boats/

Click on the small person reading a document in the rectangular shape

Those are the requirements and the checking actions supporting the requirements, word for word, exactly what the examiner must do.

The 2005 book is out of date.

• Greenie 1

At least s3.1 note 1 remains the same

Which is good for me as i will using the sealed type and will be having plenty of ventilation as planned. into the cabin and bilge area. open back battery box, well cabin step. Just need to get the paper work from the manufacturer to store with the battery to keep the inspector happy..

With reference to my other thread about the number of fire extinguishers, which has not been commented on by Rob.

I notice that the requirement for the number/capacity of fire extinguishers now has the either and or underlined.

I understand that for a small powered boat without any fuel burning appliance, only one extinguisher is required. However there is another ambiguity. The clause refers to the NUMBER of extinguishers being reduced, but also states the CAPACITY of that reduction (5A/34B). Does this imply that the total capacity requirement is also reduced by that amount?

With reference to my other thread about the number of fire extinguishers, which has not been commented on by Rob.

I notice that the requirement for the number/capacity of fire extinguishers now has the either and or underlined.

I understand that for a small powered boat without any fuel burning appliance, only one extinguisher is required. However there is another ambiguity. The clause refers to the NUMBER of extinguishers being reduced, but also states the CAPACITY of that reduction (5A/34B). Does this imply that the total capacity requirement is also reduced by that amount?

I do consider the BSS 6.1.1 to be badly written, however it does only say you can reduce the qty it does not say you can reduce the total capacity.

So as written you can have a single extinguisher for a <7m boat but it must be a big one - 10a/68b.

You need this latest version if your boat is a privately owned privately managed craft.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/private-boats/

Click on the small person reading a document in the rectangular shape

Those are the requirements and the checking actions supporting the requirements, word for word, exactly what the examiner must do.

The 2005 book is out of date.

Noted / downloaded thank you

(and you got a greenie for being helpful)

Edited by OldGoat

I do consider the BSS 6.1.1 to be badly written, however it does only say you can reduce the qty it does not say you can reduce the total capacity.

So as written you can have a single extinguisher for a <7m boat but it must be a big one - 10a/68b.

I await clarification from Rob.

I await clarification from Rob.

Removing the one 5A/34B will also affect the required total capacity which consequently will be lowered by 5A and 34B in all three boat length categories

By way of an additional clarification as a FAQ: - it is the minimum expected number of extinguishers, but the total combined fire rating aboard may be met by having more than the minimum required number of extinguishers if the owner chooses.

Removing the one 5A/34B will also affect the required total capacity which consequently will be lowered by 5A and 34B in all three boat length categories

By way of an additional clarification as a FAQ: - it is NOT the minimum expected number of extinguishers, but the total combined fire rating aboard may be met by having more than the minimum required number of extinguishers if the owner chooses.

Should it read as amended above 'in red'.

By way of an additional clarification as a FAQ: - it is the minimum expected number of extinguishers, but the total combined fire rating aboard may be met by having more than the minimum required number of extinguishers if the owner chooses.

thank you, Rob.

perhaps the clause should be amended to state: The minimum number of extinguishers (and their total capacity) may be reduced by a maximum of one 5A/34B rated extinguisher where the vessel has either no internal combustion engines, or no fuel-burning appliances.

I see the BSS guidance still states that certificates last for four years LESS one day. Any chance of some explanation why they are not valid for four complete calendar years please?

Same as the boat licence, mine runs from the 1st March and expires at midnight on the last day of Feb.

Removing the one 5A/34B will also affect the required total capacity which consequently will be lowered by 5A and 34B in all three boat length categories...................................

I am not surprised that it is what the BSS intended, but it is not what it says, so you should correct it the next time it is updated.

I must be having a 'bad day' because as written it does not make sense to me.

.... it is the minimum expected number of extinguishers, but the total combined fire rating aboard may be met by having more than the minimum required number of extinguishers if the owner chooses.

definitely a bad day. cool.png

it makes perfect sense.