Is the extra light through 4 porthole pigeon box, worth the extra £700?

Featured Posts

Our boat has four bulls eyes. They have a film, vinyl or plastic stuck underneath with an embossed pattern on. We've only owned since November but the boats 2001 and no signs of scorching. Was built by WFBCO so would imagine they knew what they were doing ... Hopefully!

I'm shining a torch form underneath for the pic.

post-14023-0-35941400-1454708797_thumb.jpeg

Our boat has four bulls eyes. They have a film, vinyl or plastic stuck underneath with an embossed pattern on. We've only owned since November but the boats 2001 and no signs of scorching. Was built by WFBCO so would imagine they knew what they were doing ... Hopefully!

I'm shining a torch form underneath for the pic.

Mine's got not sign of scorching either and the bulls eyes lens has been scrambled with a grinder.

Still focuss's sunlight and will set alight wood IF the focus falls onto it (which it does not).

Wait for a midday summer sunny day and move your hand in 3d space under it to find any hot spot. If there is one you will soon find it. It may just be in a "null" area no-where near combustibles. Or maybe you will know if your mitigation measure works.

Edited by mark99

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2016 at 09:38, nicknorman said:

On a slightly different subject, consider some internal glazed doors for your side hatch. It is a bit grim to have to have the side hatch closed just because it's cold. We have glazed Internal doors which means the steel side hatch doors can be open without letting the cold and wind in. Our only slight problem is the inner doors are not really weather proof so we have to have the outer closed when it's raining, but not when it's cold or windy. You can achieve the same effect with a sheet of Perspex but having it integral makes it look less of a bodge.

I don't suppose you have any photos and/or recommendations of who to get to do this? Seems a good idea

On 2/5/2016 at 21:52, mark99 said:

Still focuss's sunlight and will set alight wood IF the focus falls onto it (which it does not).

So glad I found this thread - in the process of buying a boat with two clear bull's eye lights, never crossed my mind to think about this issue.

Would one (perhaps expensive!) option not be to mount a second, identical bull eye beneath the first, but "upside down" - and might this not create a broader spread of more diffuse light, and at the same time, help prevent condensation getting into the boat (although not between the bull's eyes I guess)...?

Some prisms I have seen have protruded below the level of the ceiling (lining), but the ones in the boat I'm buying have the top side flush with the roof and the bottom is recesse away from the ceiling - I have not checked, but it's just possible their might be room beneath for a second.

2 hours ago, captain flint said:

I don't suppose you have any photos and/or recommendations of who to get to do this? Seems a good idea

The trading boat Periwinkle has nice sliding leaded glass sliding windows mounted in the side hatches. https://www.facebook.com/NBPeriwinkle-603881556308021/

1 hour ago, captain flint said:

phew, loads of photos! Didn't see any of the interior yet...! thanks, though, anyway :)

We saw them at Windmill end and they serve through the side hatch, closing the sliding window when there are no customers, it looked very neat

We cut our 6 light pigeon box out and replaced it with a brass hatch, as per the ones stocked by Midland Chandlers. Much light, if not to everyones tastes.

The old one if for sale if you're interested, priced to sell.

Daniel

On 10/3/2017 at 16:44, DHutch said:

We cut our 6 light pigeon box out and replaced it with a brass hatch, as per the ones stocked by Midland Chandlers. Much light, if not to everyones tastes.

I take it you mean more light that the 6 light pigeon box gave? In which case, I'm sorry, I think you might have talked yourself out of a sale ;-)

Light is the most important thing. The boat I'm getting would be big enough for a dog box, I reckon. One day, when I have enough money, maybe I'll do that, but it seems like if I want light more than anything, I should stick to plan A - the hatch. I don't think they look "pretty" exactly, but I don't object to how they look, either, they're pretty neutral as far as I'm concerned. And they let light in (and, if you want, air out), so that's settled for me I think.

Appreciate everyone taking the time to give their input

Fair enough.

Obviously we decided, at some expense, to buy a new hatch and spend the time cutting out our and welding in the new one. We like the increased amount of light, something like 2 sqft of glass, but it wouldnt suit all peoples tastes.

Obviously a lot of people pay good money to have a pigeon boz welded up, so I am still hoping to pass ours on rather than scrap it!

Daniel

On 30/01/2016 at 16:00, Mike the Boilerman said:

Mine don't.

Well they do, but only when its raining...

Mine dont leak. And since Dmr did his magic, I can now open them. 

£700 sounds steep. But hey ho, if you've the money spend it and enjoy. 

Edited by Goliath

Wow. That does look slick! As a matter of interest, the steel dog box with the plain glazing - lovely thing - must cost a pretty packet, no?

On a side note, having discussed it with various people I've come across a few who prefer the slow jug sawe approach to the easier nd quicker Rage saw method, due to less sharp bits of steel left around - any views on that? I'm just asking out of curiosity as this is mainly fairly new to me and I find it interesting. I hestitate to say I'm gaining much actual knowledge yet (it will come), but I'm at least defining the shape of my ignorance more clearly! ;-)

5 hours ago, KEDIAN said:

CCFF10DE-63EB-499B-9C49-C3E93192144D.jpeg

14243205-645F-4251-BC9D-AAB477830CEC.jpeg

Edited by captain flint

The problem with a jigsaw is that the blade throw means it bounces of the interior fit out and bends the rage saw is adjustable in the depth of cut I go through the steel only vacuum up steel chipping and then a sharp wood saw through the lining with a dust sheet in place 

doudle glazed units fully fitted £950 

Edited by Martin Kedian
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1