Is the extra light through 4 porthole pigeon box, worth the extra £700?

Featured Posts

just wondering if anyone with such a thing would comment on whether it's worth the extra cost? - now the order is in, I'm "tweaking"...

I had roof prisms on my all portholed boat, the extra light was very noticeable against boats without.

Tim

just wondering if anyone with such a thing would comment on whether it's worth the extra cost? - now the order is in, I'm "tweaking"...

We were seriously considering these before we sold our boat and the got chance to do it. With the side hatches closed our kitchen was quite dark as there was only one port hole window in the kitchen to let in natural light.

So I would say a lot depends on how much other natural light is getting into the boat.

Look at a dog box instead, they are bigger and work better for light, I actually just went for a flat sky light and portholes on the side. Worked well and floods the front with light even on a rainy day.

Personally I would not have one, everyone I know that has one says it leaks.

Of course there will be exceptions as there always are.

Prism as per mrsmelly or a 'houdini' style roof light

Mine don't.

Well they do, but only when its raining...

Personally I would not have one, everyone I know that has one says it leaks.

Of course there will be exceptions as there always are.

Prism as per mrsmelly or a 'houdini' style roof light

We are all 11" portholes and have a houdini hatch in our saloon and one in the galley, almost as light as if we had bus windows. A big plus is that when it's warm by opening the houdini hatches it allows the hot air to rise up out of the boat

Phil

We've got one (steel and timber lined) with 2 X double glazed panels in. No condensation and doesn't leak as the drip channels under the hinges are well thought out, unlike our last boat. We also have bulls eyes thought the boat (do get condensation if the plugs aren't in). It's the brightest port-holed boat I've known.

post-14023-0-22288200-1454170061_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Markinaboat

We have two roof prisms fitted, one in the saloon and the other in the galley. For their modest size they cast a lot of extra light and don't interrupt the look of the roof at all. I like a tidy roof ( all,of the mushrooms, prisms and Alde exhaust are bang on down the centre ). The only pigeon box is in the usual place on the engine room roof and I saw no real advantage in tiny ports there. Maybe the larger dog box would cast more light if needed. I'm afraid I'm no fan of Houdinis....

Dave

i have 4 large portholes in the kitchen the 2 sidedoors should have been glazed but boat builders never listen, so because i created a fuss they fitted a large houdini for free it makes a big difference and as others say lets out heat in the summer

15" portholes, QS? Blimey, those must be amongst the biggest on the inland waterways (assuming that's the diameter of the glazed area, not the brass part). I'd go for a pigeon box/ dog box/ call it what you will anyway - but why not visit a brokerage e.g. Whilton, inspect the interiors of a few boats which have them fitted, and see what difference they make?

Prisms, alias ox eyes, have been known to cause fires when prolonged sunlight shines through them - not very common in England, then - but I don't know how often that has occurred.

P.S. our boat has two such boxes, neither of which has ever leaked. A thumbs up for Mel Davis' steelwork.

We have 2 pigeon boxes, 6 port ones, very worth having for us. 1 in engine room, one in galley. Worthwhile for light and ventilation.

Seconding Mel Davies steelwork for not leaking!

Edited by Ally

Prisms, alias ox eyes, have been known to cause fires when prolonged sunlight shines through them

Yes but not all prisms are of the ox eye design, latest models are letterbox in shape.

Post #10 in this link shows one

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8515

Yes but not all prisms are of the ox eye design, latest models are letterbox in shape.

Post #10 in this link shows one

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8515

Thanks, Bottle. But would these prisms not concentrate the sunlight in a similar way?

I wonder what happened to "Esme". She posted copious photos of her new boat, finally several of it being prepared as a Crick 2007n show exhibit, a promise to post more...and then nothing. I hope that she's still on the waterways.

Thanks, Bottle. But would these prisms not concentrate the sunlight in a similar way?

No. Being prism shaped rather than lens shaped, they are more likely to split the light into its different wavelengths and cast rainbows!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

One more vote for a double glazed dog box, don't even think about Houdini hatches. There are photos of a six port pigeon box and a double glazed dog box in my gallery. If you go for the brass or stainless bars on top of your box, do consider the hinging system shown, it makes cleaning the glass and bars much easier.

Bulls eyes, not ox eyes!

Dave, I defer to your knowledge as you're a professional. But I have most certainly seen these items referred to in print as ox eyes, and I've heard the expression used orally too. Perhaps it's a regional thing?

But the sweets are never called ox eyes!

No. Being prism shaped rather than lens shaped, they are more likely to split the light into its different wavelengths and cast rainbows!

Thanks. Sounds charming, perhaps we should get one!