Gas leak - engineer required in Rickmansworth

efish__

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We have a gas leak in our bedroom coming from one of the joins - Have been ringing around to find a gas safe engineer to come and take a look but no-one has responded yet. It's getting urgent now as we're staying at relatives until it is fixed and need to get back on the move again.

Can anyone recommend a decent gas call-out engineer please.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Hey Darren,

I've tried but the leak is still persisting - think the compression fitting needs replacing. Also worried that gas has collected between the hull and the wooden pannelling. How long will gas 'hang around' so to speak?

Ed

Hi all,

We have a gas leak in our bedroom coming from one of the joins - Have been ringing around to find a gas safe engineer to come and take a look but no-one has responded yet. It's getting urgent now as we're staying at relatives until it is fixed and need to get back on the move again.

Can anyone recommend a decent gas call-out engineer please.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Try Ralph Kitts at Bridgewater basin. He may be able to help. 07956 333 892

Here's a photo of the offending compression fitting

IMG_04442dcc.JPG

http://f86i.imgup.net/IMG_04442dcc.JPG

That's hardly standard narrow boat gas plumbing,

What is the pipe on the left made of - it looks like it could be some kind of malleable iron, possibly.

You fairly obviously have copper on the right joining to something that isn't. Unless you are fully competent with gas I would firmly ignore any advice to have a go yourself, and leave it firmly to an expert.

Even if it were the compression olive inside the bit on the right, you can't just remake the joint, because the pipe will not be long enough once you have cut the failed bit off.

I'm sure others may disagree though, but this may be a tricky fix.

• Greenie 1

That's hardly standard narrow boat gas plumbing,

What is the pipe on the left made of - it looks like it could be some kind of malleable iron, possibly.

You fairly obviously have copper on the right joining to something that isn't. Unless you are fully competent with gas I would firmly ignore any advice to have a go yourself, and leave it firmly to an expert.

Even if it were the compression olive inside the bit on the right, you can't just remake the joint, because the pipe will not be long enough once you have cut the failed bit off.

I'm sure others may disagree though, but this may be a tricky fix.

No - agree completely; been there done it. The RHS join is not square with the large fitting and the leak infers that the pipe has got necked - well it certainly is now, judging by the distressed state of the nut - and so has to be cut back and extended.

The LHS looks a bit bodged and the oversized pipe leads one to think that it's been an amateur fit out?

If the OP is going to the expense of a qualified fitter then it might be a good idea to replace more than can be seen with 'normal gauge pipe'. Indeed it's possible that what's there is water pipe size rather than gas??

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. To answer a few of your questions.

- The pipe on the LHS is coming through the bulkhead from the regulator - the RHS leads to the cooker, hobs, and fridge. This probably would have been put in anytime between 80s - 90s when the boat was extended. Last BSS was only a few years ago when this was the hold / before the bedroom.

- The sprayfoam wasn't completely covering the join but nonetheless I had to cut away a big chunk of my nice new bedroom to find the leak :(

- As I said earlier, I don't really want to mess around with this and following your advice I'm even more put off.

- One of Ralphs colleagues reccomended a guy called Matthew (forgotton his last name) - left a message but no reply?

Does anyone know anyone else in the area who could come and take a look? Could I call out an LPG qualified Land Lubber gas professional or should it be a strictly marine affair.

Thanks again :)

Ed

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. To answer a few of your questions.

- The pipe on the LHS is coming through the bulkhead from the regulator - the RHS leads to the cooker, hobs, and fridge. This probably would have been put in anytime between 80s - 90s when the boat was extended. Last BSS was only a few years ago when this was the hold / before the bedroom.

- The sprayfoam wasn't completely covering the join but nonetheless I had to cut away a big chunk of my nice new bedroom to find the leak sad.png

- As I said earlier, I don't really want to mess around with this and following your advice I'm even more put off.

- One of Ralphs colleagues reccomended a guy called Matthew (forgotton his last name) - left a message but no reply?

Does anyone know anyone else in the area who could come and take a look? Could I call out an LPG qualified Land Lubber gas professional or should it be a strictly marine affair.

Thanks again smile.png

Ed

I tried that (some years ago now) when I was building the boat on dry land at home and the 'landlubber' was happy to test for leaks but could / would do no more because he needed an additional certification to do any thing on boats.

The system has got more complicated since then (was xx years ago) so I suspect you'll need a floaty person even to look at it. There are different rules for boats - pipe size, visibility, number of joints and so on - which may not be apparent to a domestic-gas-person - so even if you do find a bod to do the work it's possible that it could not be following the BSS rules - even though it might be safe. None of it is rocket science, just different working practices - all for good reasons...

• Greenie 1