Gas leak - engineer required in Rickmansworth

efish__

Featured Posts

We have no idea how long the gas was leaking before we started to smell it - the boat vibrates alot so has probably been getting increasingly worse over the last 2 weeks. CRT (Phil Brogan) has actually told us not to move the boat and we have approved overstay until it's fixed. Would rather get someone out than take it in - also don't want to use electrics as wiring passes through that section of panneling in which the gas has been collecting - stove is also close by. Better safe than sorry I guess. Also because the leak is in our tug deck bedroom (below water level) there is no low level ventilation to get all the gas out - would prefer not to sleep there overnight.

Will call through the list tomorrow and fingers crossed we can get someone out by Monday and get back on the move.

Thanks,

Ed

- One of Ralphs colleagues reccomended a guy called Matthew (forgotton his last name) - left a message but no reply?

Does anyone know anyone else in the area who could come and take a look? Could I call out an LPG qualified Land Lubber gas professional or should it be a strictly marine affair.

Thanks again smile.png

Ed

Strictly marine LPG competency

Was it Matt Miller at uxbridge

Name: Matt Miller Address: Miller Marine

Uxbridge Boat Centre

Waterloo Road

Uxbridge

UB8 2QX Landline: 07724983966 Mobile: 07724983966 Email: millermarine1@yahoo.com Gas safe register: Number: 119747

gassafelogor.gif

If not try talking to Roger Alsop of this parish

Name: Roger Alsop Address: 10 Marlins Turn

Gadebridge

Hemel Hempstead

HP1 3LQ Landline: 01442-219115 Mobile: 07956656063 Email: comet@nildram.co.uk Gas safe register: Number: 177148

gassafelogor.gif

or Derek Barnett

Name: Derek Barnett Address: 15 Hilmay Drive

Hemel Hempstead

HP1 1TZ Landline: 07973258563 Email: boatexaminations@gmail.com Website: www.boatexaminations.com Gas safe register: Number: 205416

gassafelogor.gif

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

All sorted, plumber/gas engineer - you know what I mean - he was off the gas safe register and qualified for boats so good enough for me.

Thanks for the advice, just trying to catch up on all those missed cups of tea now. Is there an elsan near Uxbridge!

All sorted, plumber/gas engineer - you know what I mean -

We are techncians really, not engineers. My dear departed Dad would turn in his grave to hear us jumped up plumbers calling ourselves engineers. He was Chartered Engineer and proud of it. 'Debasement of the language', my old English teacher used to call it. No doubt she would also turn in her grave to hear the technical college I attended passing itself off now as a university. Same problem!

P.S. Forgot to say, pleased you now have it sorted, and thanks for coming back to post feedback on the outcome. Not everyone bothers which is very frustrating to people contributing to a 'help' thread.

We are techncians really, not engineers. My dear departed Dad would turn in his grave to hear us jumped up plumbers calling ourselves engineers. He was Chartered Engineer and proud of it. 'Debasement of the language', my old English teacher used to call it. No doubt she would also turn in her grave to hear the technical college I attended passing itself off now as a university. Same problem!

Mike, as I noted earlier, I wouldn't want a Gas Engineer (MIMechE or whatever) physically dicking around with a gas installation.

Horses for courses, and I also mourn the passing of CATs and Technical Colleges.

I learnt most of my 'engineering' after I left uni and went to work on a real site. The General Foreman took no prisoners, and snotty new graduates were at the bottom of the pile, below brickies, labourers and even the tea lady. After 6 months I knew a bit and he had elevated me to the status of 'not too bad, I s'pose'.

However I think the days of protecting the title 'engineer' are long gone, certainly are in my case.

Mike, as I noted earlier, I wouldn't want a Gas Engineer (MIMechE or whatever) physically dicking around with a gas installation.

Horses for courses, and I also mourn the passing of CATs and Technical Colleges.

I learnt most of my 'engineering' after I left uni and went to work on a real site. The General Foreman took no prisoners, and snotty new graduates were at the bottom of the pile, below brickies, labourers and even the tea lady. After 6 months I knew a bit and he had elevated me to the status of 'not too bad, I s'pose'.

However I think the days of protecting the title 'engineer' are long gone, certainly are in my case.

The thing that surprised me in my early career where I worked with real engineers in an office. They new how to design and program superb radars for Royal Navy ships but few of them had the confidence or ability to wield a spanner and change the starter motor on their car, say.

Conversely, few of the top class technicians I know have a clue as to what Young's Modulus is, or even seem to understand basic stuff like Ohms' Law.

The thing that surprised me in my early career where I worked with real engineers in an office. They new how to design and program superb radars for Royal Navy ships but few of them had the confidence or ability to wield a spanner and change the starter motor on their car, say.

Conversely, few of the top class technicians I know have a clue as to what Young's Modulus is, or even seem to understand basic stuff like Ohms' Law.

Exactly. It is not a matter of who is superior to whom, it is a matter of horses for courses. Just like doctors vs nurses. Both are vital in their respective roles, and bad at each other's roles, and it wouldn't be helpful to confuse their job titles any more than it helps to misuse the term "engineer".

I'm a Chartered Eng........... also a Gas Safe Registered Oik. And time served apprentice. smile.png

Never lost the will to twiddle and have to keep legal. It's not that unusual. I have couple of industry colleagues who are the same - Heads of Engineering / Directors and C. Eng but carry overalls and a bag-o-tools that get used a couple times per annum.

Edited by mark99

I'm a Chartered Eng........... also a Gas Safe Registered Oik. And time served apprentice. smile.png

Never lost the will to twiddle and have to keep legal. It's not that unusual. I have couple of industry colleagues who are the same - Heads of Engineering / Directors and C. Eng but carry overalls and a bag-o-tools that get used a couple times per annum.

In my experience, the best engineers started as tradesmen/technicians and made the difficult 'upgrade' to CEng status. They have the broadest experience and make excellent managers, largely because they have the ability to communicate with all grades of employee.

On the other hand I know a very successful CEng who mainly works as a facilitator with Russian entrepreneurs and also has a harbour engineering consultancy. He has no tools, no practical skills and would struggle to fit a shelf on the wall.

In my case my dad was a self-taught skilled fitter who rebuilt merlin engines in WW2. I learned many skills from him when I had to lie under a Riley he was rebuilding, holding a torch for him, and also helping him to build a house in my early teens.

Do you have your LPG and 'boats' tickets, out of interest?

If yes, would you feel qualified to fit a Morco instantaneous water heater in a boat? Be careful answering, 'tis a trick question!

Do you have your LPG and 'boats' tickets, out of interest?

If yes, would you feel qualified to fit a Morco instantaneous water heater in a boat? Be careful answering, 'tis a trick question!

No. My field is in the big outside stuff and Industrial / Commercial behemoths.

• 1 year later...

Haven't been on here for a year but just an update - was a simple leaking compression fitting. Nice gas engineer at Rickmansworth fixed it for £50 and a cuppa - He had completed his boat gas safety on a whim about 20 years ago and never used it so was quite happy to come and work on the boat - let me know if anyone needs his number. 

Thanks

On 21/09/2017 at 23:12, efish__ said:

Haven't been on here for a year but just an update - was a simple leaking compression fitting. Nice gas engineer at Rickmansworth fixed it for £50 and a cuppa - He had completed his boat gas safety on a whim about 20 years ago and never used it so was quite happy to come and work on the boat - let me know if anyone needs his number. 

Thanks

The ACS quals run out after 5 years and need to be refreshed and the have to re-register every year in Gas Safe.

General advice check the dates on the card.