Black Prince Napton

retired

Featured Posts

Hi All

We have just booked a weeks hire from Black Prince operating from Napton for the first week in July 2007.

Have been looking at Canalplan and have been thinking of going from Napton to Fazeley Junction and back. This is only our second narrow boat holiday, the first being last year with Anglowelsh out of Great Haywood.

Does anyone have any thoughts and ideas on our intentions, such as best places to stop overnight for say a pub etc and if there are any places we should avoid stopping.

Hoping it wont be too busy with the kids still in school.

We did originally intend to go at the beginning of June but due to work commitments that was not possible.

Thanks

Charles

I am a little nervous about doing a ring as it is just me and the wife.

Having only been on the canals once so far.

The other half found steering rather daunting as she does not even drive a car.

Last year for the first few days I ended up steering and operating the locks, although half way through the week we did manage with me doing the steering into locks and either filling or emptying them and the other half closing up after.

Just looking to have a real switch off time and relax.

Thanks for the info.

Charles

Steering is just a matter of practise: the more you do, the better you get.

I'm assuming you're planning to get to Fazeley via Hawkesbury -- and it's true that that's the easier half of the circuit as the locks are narrow. However, I'm afraid I'm at a loss to understand why anyone would choose to go halfway, then turn and go back the same way rather than carrying on and finishing the Ring.

But then I've never understood the appeal of lock free cruising. For me, locks are one of the main attractions: the ingenuity, the surroundings, the achievement of working efficiently through them. By missing out Birmingham and Warwick you won't get to experience some of the highlights of the canal network: Farmer's Bridge locks are undoubtedly one of the most fascinating flights in the country, and there's no better way to arrive in Birmingham than by boat; and while the Hatton Flight is hard work, it's an impressive sight. You could always make things a bit easier by waiting for another boat to come along, and do them together.

If you're still not conviced, rather than go to Fazeley you could always do the Ashby canal instead, and maybe head for Coventry basin too. That way you won't have to tackle the Atherstone Flight (where the locks seem to take an age to fill) and you'll have only four locks in each direction.

I second that, its easily doable in a week!

:-)

Yes it is possible, but it is hard work, with next to no time to enjoy the countryside through which you are going. There is nothing wrong with an "out and back" trip as the scene often looks very different going the other way. It also enables you to visit places that you saw on the way through, but didn't have time to visit.

The "ring in week" merchants seem to take no account of unexpected delays. that may leave you rushing once you have committed to the ring. Personally, I would not consider the Warwickshire ring in less than ten days. We took a fortnight and had a trip into central Birminham up Farmers Bridge flight. Now that is an unforgettable experience.

Don't try to rush it, otherwise you'll have to miss too much that is worth exploring, such as Braunston, Hillmorton, Hawkesbury, Hartshill etc., because you won't have time to stop. If you find yourselves ahead of schedule, you can always go a bit further up the Coventry Canal which is more beautiful the further noeth you get. Or you could have a trip up the Ashby Canal which is like going back a hundred years once you are through the Marston Junction bridge.

Enjoy your trip

Tony. :D

The other half found steering rather daunting as she does not even drive a car.

Charles

this might seem a silly question but is you other half not very tall? My other half doesn't drive a car but also struggles with steering as she cannot quite see the end of the boat. Last year I managed to get her to stand on a bucket so she could see all the way down the end of the boat it seems the problem has now gone away.

I'm only 5'2", and I can just see where the end of the boat is. With the aerial at the bow, and in the middle, I simply aim the aerial at the middle of bridges and things and it works OK, either that or the top of the cratch I can see, or the bag of coal on top (whatever is at the front nearest the middle).

I am getting the OH to make me a small slip proof box though, just to give me a little more advantage.

Well you have guessed correct, the other crew member is a little on the short side at 5'1".

We just want to relax and prefer the idea of an out and back, at least this way if we fancy a slow day it won't be too much of a problem.

As we do not know how busy the canals will be in the area we would rather not commit to a ring route until we both feel more confidant at sharing all the work.

Seeing as the other member will have just left her current job due to it relocating to china we really do just want a relaxing carefree break.

Thanks for all the info so far, and can anyone recommend places we should make a point of seeing or avoiding.

Charles

The "can't do it in a week" merchants seem to forget that not everyone is the same.

"personally" is the key word here......

Anything worth exploring off the boat, for me, can be done by car when i get home. I dont intend on spending 1K to hire a boat for a week and go looking around Warwick castle.

Im not knocking the "only cruise for a few hours a day crowd"....when i have more time, and my own boat that's exactly what i'll do. But for hirers, who want to spend all there time on the boat, its annoying to hear experienced people say something isnt possible when it is.....

The "can't do it in a week" merchants seem to forget that not everyone is the same.

"personally" is the key word here......

Anything worth exploring off the boat, for me, can be done by car when i get home. I dont intend on spending 1K to hire a boat for a week and go looking around Warwick castle.

Im not knocking the "only cruise for a few hours a day crowd"....when i have more time, and my own boat that's exactly what i'll do. But for hirers, who want to spend all there time on the boat, its annoying to hear experienced people say something isnt possible when it is.....

I second that!

Once met a Canaltime couple who spent their whole time in the marina - they never went anywhere!

Good job we are all different......

:lol: Hi there Charles, I have just completed a midweek break with Black Prince - their boats are smart & well finnished - one of the best I have hired over the years - one problem I found with Black Prince is that their boats are not fitted with inverters - hence no 240VAC outlets. So don't forget to take a DC adaptor for you're mobile phone & expect a small TV.

We went on a round trip to Foxton via Braunston / Watford Staircase Locks (A must)/ Crick / Welford - it was just brilliant & the weather was fantastic!

Hi All

We have just booked a weeks hire from Black Prince operating from Napton for the first week in July 2007.

Have been looking at Canalplan and have been thinking of going from Napton to Fazeley Junction and back. This is only our second narrow boat holiday, the first being last year with Anglowelsh out of Great Haywood.

Does anyone have any thoughts and ideas on our intentions, such as best places to stop overnight for say a pub etc and if there are any places we should avoid stopping.

Hoping it wont be too busy with the kids still in school.

We did originally intend to go at the beginning of June but due to work commitments that was not possible.

Thanks

Charles

Charles,

There is nothing wrong in doing a ring. But neither is there anything wrong in an out and back trip. Personally I find that the canal and the countryside looks different on the way back to the way out.

The Warwick ring is fine, but not everybody finds Birmingham canals attractive and you would have the Hatton flight of double locks to cope with - not easy if you are effectively single-handing.

Your suggestion of Fazeley and back is fine - easy to do in a week - but as someone else has said the Atherstone locks can be very slow.

Alternatively, you could do the Ashby canal. Very attractive and lock free.

Foxton is also do-able. There are two staircases - at Watford and at Foxton, but lock-keepers are on duty at this time of year, and they will look after you.

Whatever you decide, have a great time.

When you finally decide on a route, let us know. I'm sure that we will be able to give you lots of suggestions for possible overnight moorings, decent pubs, etc.

Graham

Napton - Market Harborough & back in a week is easy - we did it at the beginning of March (including a night moored next to Watford locks because we got there at 3pm and there was a boat coming down so we were too late!) and visited up both arms (MH & welford). If you want less locks then head up the Oxford towards the Ashby. This means you can stop at Rugby to shop at the Tesco's (when going this way you only need basic provisions to start off).

We're going out again next month, this time doing the Warwickshire Ring - though our big decision is clockwise or anti? LOL. If its only your second trip, then the ring may be ambitious unless you are wanting to do long days

We're going out again next month, this time doing the Warwickshire Ring - though our big decision is clockwise or anti? LOL. If its only your second trip, then the ring may be ambitious unless you are wanting to do long days

Getting to the top of Hatton always seems so much more of an achievement then coming down . . .

Getting to the top of Hatton always seems so much more of an achievement then coming down . . .

Especially as it tends to be easier coming down flights of locks

(view from the top)

t6fv_0.jpg

One thing to consider, for me in direction, is the route to take C.de.B or KN route. I've been round Brum and past Cadbury's about 5 years ago when I did the two Worcester canals, so C.de.B sounds quickest (though having done the Cov, Asby, & Oxford a few times over the last 3 years would hate to think I ended up with a spare day there when I could have detoured into Brum). Not such a problem as I'm thinking of doing Severn & Avon later in the year and could tag a detour on there.

Mind you I'm looking into doing a time-lapse video diary this time, so at least I'll have CCTV :)

Hi All

Thanks for the opinions you have all expressed.

The route we are considering according to Canalplan would take us from Napton Marina to Fazely and back.

According to the planner there will be 36 locks in total corvering 99.33 miles.

This will take us on the following canals.

Grand Union Canal (Oxford Canal Section)

Oxford Canal (Northern Section)

Coventry Canal (Main Line - Hawkesbury to Fazeley)

Looking to travel about 3 hours on the first day assuming we collect around 3pm then having the neccesary instruction from the boat yard etc.

We would like to be at polesworth first thing Tuesday morning do you think this is realistic ?

What would you recommend as suitable overnight stopping places as it would be nice to have a good pub meal and a few drinks each evening if possible.

Regards

Charles

Hi Charles :

Believe we stopped at Polesworth on the way back down from Barton Turns last July. Moored right at the bottom of a pub garden, with only one other boat. Thought it'd be really crowded, but it wasn't. Nothing fancy - no kitch canalia, but very friendly landlady and locals, good, cheap basic food and a pool table. Will check in the log book and/or map book when we go to the boat at the weekend, and let you know the name/exact location.

Fiona G

Hi All

Thanks for the opinions you have all expressed.

The route we are considering according to Canalplan would take us from Napton Marina to Fazely and back.

According to the planner there will be 36 locks in total corvering 99.33 miles.

Looking to travel about 3 hours on the first day assuming we collect around 3pm then having the neccesary instruction from the boat yard etc.

We would like to be at polesworth first thing Tuesday morning do you think this is realistic ?

What would you recommend as suitable overnight stopping places as it would be nice to have a good pub meal and a few drinks each evening if possible.

Regards

Charles

Braunston for the first night is probably too short (as being just over an hour away), though that'd be okay for your final night. The Old Royal Oak at Hillmorton is probably the best bet, though its general pub fare (though "home of the big plate special") allowing you to tackle the locks in the morning and stop at the Tesco's canalside at Rugby to get supplies. We've done this a few times and it means you don't need to worry about taking too many supplies down with you. Though, as you are going in July then you could push on later the first night to get to Rugby itself.

Polesworth is 43m 16locks away (according to canalplan) so 20hrs at 3 lockmiles an hour, so doing 8am-6pm should be fine

• 4 weeks later...

We(My wife Sue Millie the dog and I) have just got back from an out and back from Warwick to Oxford easy to do in a week, not to many locks after Napton,very picturesque and the best bacon in the country from Folly stores as well as good pubs

What more can you ask for?

What ever you decide on have a fantastic holiday and let us know ^_^