Taking a Brummagem boat to the NEC boat show, January 1985

John Brightley

Featured Posts

John

Thanks for putting these up. I remember those days well, always managed to scrounge a complimentary ticket to visit the show. It's all a long time ago now!

A couple of years later Brummagem were producing stuff for Sally Boats on the K & A and I spent the show week decorating and signwriting one of the boats, something traditional if I remember correctly. Working in artificial light and with constant piped music, the week palled as it went on. I had many conversations with potential punters and I was concerned as to how I might fit everything in ( I was teaching at the time ) but only one ever bore fruit!

Best wishes

Dave

Around that time there was a ground breaking boat built by BB does anyone remember it? It had steering at the front as well as the rear and was full of top end luxury (for the time) I remember it as being lots of glass and chrome, am I imagining it? I thought it went to some of the shows as a way of showing they built 'specials' as well.

That was Daniel Gooch, again designed by Alan Grren for the owner Mike Wilkinson. He had commissioned a more traditional style boat, Brunel, previously. I think he also had William Stanier built subsequently, another avant garde boat, though I'd moved on by then. I've not seen any for years.

Dave

That was Daniel Gooch, again designed by Alan Grren for the owner Mike Wilkinson. He had commissioned a more traditional style boat, Brunel, previously. I think he also had William Stanier built subsequently, another avant garde boat, though I'd moved on by then. I've not seen any for years.

Dave

I think Stanier is at Rowington

Richard

Dave

cheers Dave that was it. It and Mike were at Alvechurch for one of their rallies when I saw it, it was definitely space age compared to most boats on the cut at that time.

Sadly the Boat Show at the NEC is now defunct as the organisers went out of business. Some may recall their stand at the IWA festival at Burton, but they were unable to get enough support for the next year.

When it was at the NEC it was of definite interest to see narrowboats and cruisers brought into the halls and there were times that Hall 1 was used and there were others when Hall 5 had the display of boats.

cheers Dave that was it. It and Mike were at Alvechurch for one of their rallies when I saw it, it was definitely space age compared to most boats on the cut at that time.

See to remember that one of his boats had a Jacuzzi in it which was remarkable as few houses had them then.

Tim

I went to the Bingley Hall Show in '65. The show newspaper carried a story of the founding of Birmingham and Midland Canal Carrying, I lost little time in getting round to Gas St. As a youngster, I was keen to help, meeting a good few of the old school of boaters. The crews were a blend of these and young enthusiasts, I was always ready to turn a windlass or help with a variety of jobs. I still see or speak with some of these today, how the canal world has changed.....

Dave

I think that sentiment is most likely shared by the few surviviors who worked boats back when. Even from the perspective of coming to the cut in '79, I recognise it's still there, but not somewhere I want to get too closely involved with nowadays. It's viewed with fond memories, but from afar.

Bingley Hall was actually in use up to the early '80's. It was a really nice building.

It was only demolished to make way for the ICC.

The Wikipedia entry about it, though interesting, is actually a bit inaccurate - it says that it 'burned down' in January 1984.

I remember the event well - it was only a small fire and didn't cause much damage.

Bingley Hall was actually in use up to the early '80's. It was a really nice building.

It was only demolished to make way for the ICC.

I remember it being fairly run down in the mid 70s. When did the Boat Show move to the NEC? I imagine it was some time before Bingley Hall was finally demolished.

I remember it being fairly run down in the mid 70s. When did the Boat Show move to the NEC? I imagine it was some time before Bingley Hall was finally demolished.

Probably 1983 as we did "Expo 84" when the Queen visited the new NEC, I certainly remember lugging all the gear in!!

edited to change date of Expo.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I remember going to an event at the Bingley Hall on a school trip in about 1974 and recall it being a dump then.

According to an article the caravan and boat show moved to the NEC in 1976, the year it opened.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

• 1 year later...
On 12/24/2015 at 00:59, Keith M said:

As one of the former BB staff I did install that Jacuzzi

I worked on both Brunel and Gooch

I worked for BB for about 2 years

They were good times

Keith

Hello Keith,

Nick here who used to work with Glen in the paint shop late 80's (I was only 18 then with a ponytail & part shaved head haha, now late 40's bit more grown up sort of & 3 kids etc) 

Hope all is well mate & I remember painting the Brunel & Gooch. They were special agreed & If I remember rightly didn't one have a CCTV camera so you could steer from inside if raining? Or maybe that was another? I do remember it being so hi-tech at the time & it was bought by a Doctor if I remember. Anyway, all the best if you read this. I'm going to contact Dave Moore too as I have some good pics from the old days.

Going to get back in touch with Glen too.

Yeah, good times man for sure - Stood me in good stead for later life too.

PS - Where did Victor end up? I often think of him & all you others

Cheers and all the best

Nick

Hi on the forum Nick. Dave here. I'm still in regular touch with Keith and his wife Jan. He recently encountered Mike Wilkinson, who commissioned both Brunel and Gooch. Victor is still around Gas St, still steering boats. I replied earlier to your message.

Dave