CRT Council Results are in...

David Mack

Featured Posts

Welcome to the Canal & River Trust Council elections 2015/2016 website. Voting closed on 17 December 2015 and the following people have been elected:

Private boating:
Andrew Phasey
Phil Prettyman
Stella Ridgway
Vaughan Welch

Business boating:
Nigel Hamilton
Andrew Tidy

Volunteers:
Ian McCarthy

Employees:
John Ellis

The Trust’s Appointments Committee has co-opted Nicola Benjamin to represent the charity’s Friends (those who give a regular monthly donation) onto the Council.

More information about the Trust’s Council can be found at www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/councilelections2015.

It could be worse, (with one obvious exception!).

Can't really complain, (apart from one obvious exception!), as 3 out of my four top choices in the boater election are in, as is my top choice in the volunteer section. Would have chosen Andy Tidy if entitled to vote in that election.

Definitely better than last time, (with one obvious exception!).

EDIT:

Where are the actual results please, David?

Edited by alan_fincher

It could be worse, (with one obvious exception!).

Can't really complain, (apart from one obvious exception!), as 3 out of my four top choices in the boater election are in, as is my top choice in the volunteer section. Would have chosen Andy Tidy if entitled to vote in that election.

Definitely better than last time, (with one obvious exception!).

EDIT:

Got me guessing. Is the obvious exception a cross between a former Golden Shot host and one of the Shadows?

I recall that a couple of years ago at least two CWF members stood for election, but I have not seen any mention of candidates from here this year. Were there any?

Yes,

Stella Ridgeway, (elected in boater election), Roger Stocker (not elected in boater election), Andy Tidy (occasional member here, elected in trade category), Ian McCarthy (elected in volunteer section).

I am told Vaughan Welch (elected again in boater section) is a member on here - he has had my posts taken down in the past, but not had the guts to challenge me directly about what I have said. Also Bandsman Jim Owen registered on here recently, (not elected in boater section - in my view quite a relief!).

Got me guessing. Is the obvious exception a cross between a former Golden Shot host and one of the Shadows?

Bob Marvin? :lol:

Yes,

Stella Ridgeway, (elected in boater election), Roger Stocker (not elected in boater election), Andy Tidy (occasional member here, elected in trade category), Ian McCarthy (elected in volunteer section).

I am told Vaughan Welch (elected again in boater section) is a member on here - he has had my posts taken down in the past, but not had the guts to challenge me directly about what I have said. Also Bandsman Jim Owen registered on here recently, (not elected in boater section - in my view quite a relief!).

Bob Marvin? laugh.png

Isn't that a tablet for dogs

It seems I'm wrong about who might top the poll, (and I'm happy to be wrong!!).

Although I can't find an actual break down of votes cast, I have found this.....

Our report of voting for the above elections, which was extended to close at 23:59 yesterday, is
as follows:

Private Boating

Number of eligible voters: 27,280
Total number of votes cast: 1,860
Turnout: 6.8%
Number of votes found to be invalid: 0
Total number of valid votes to be counted: 1,860

Result (4 to elect)

The election was conducted using the single transferable vote electoral system.

The following candidates were elected (in order of election):-

PRETTYMAN, Phil
RIDGWAY, Stella
PHASEY, Andrew
WELCH, Vaughan

So in fact the only one standing from last time's gang of four, Vaughan Welch it suggests only got the final 4th place.

I'm very convinced Phil Prettyman was the strongest candidate, so I'm glad to see that enough common sense has prevailed to apparently place him top.

I'm disappointed for Roger Stocker, who at least made repeated attempts to engage the electorate both here and elsewhere - something most seemed not interested in.

It seems I'm wrong about who might top the poll, (and I'm happy to be wrong!!).

Although I can't find an actual break down of votes cast, I have found this.....

So in fact the only one standing from last time's gang of four, Vaughan Welch it suggests only got the final 4th place.

I'm very convinced Phil Prettyman was the strongest candidate, so I'm glad to see that enough common sense has prevailed to apparently place him top.

I'm disappointed for Roger Stocker, who at least made repeated attempts to engage the electorate both here and elsewhere - something most seemed not interested in.

I must admit, I am disappointed Roger did not get in.

The numbers voting suggest apathy, which cannot be good for Crt either.

The nabo rep did not get the number I expected. So either nabo has a very low membership, or their members did not feel the preferred rep was acceptable, or able.

Though their vice chair stating publicly across the internet that he considered the council a waste of space probably didn't help.

Wired world.

Thanks to all who voted for me, as the only woman, only continuous cruiser and live aboard elected, I will do my absolute best to represent all boaters' interests; obviously, I will not be some people's choice and I will try and alter my name on my profile to make it easier for members to contact me.

A full breakdown of the votes is here

Stella Ridgway - NB Gracie - currently on the Macclesfield Canal

The actual results are here:

https://secure2.votebyinternet.com/V2-3-2/(S(269ae0ec-0ff2-4ee3-b7d1-8e5b54556fceAMIDwEAAAAAAAA=U-37Ft7FjQurV6YMvaM))/CRTelections2015/en/pollsclosed?bbp=-1&x=-1

Clicking on the links at the bottom of that page gives the individual votes for each category, and the last document is an explanation of how the STV process has led to the particular candidates being elected.

Likewise.

The detailed results show that Roger polled very poorly, which I would not have expected given his profile on here and his 150 word statement.

Thanks to all who voted for me, as the only woman, only continuous cruiser and live aboard elected, I will do my absolute best to represent all boaters' interests; obviously, I will not be some people's choice and I will try and alter my name on my profile to make it easier for members to contact me.

A full breakdown of the votes is here

Stella Ridgway - NB Gracie - currently on the Macclesfield Canal

Continuous cruiser?

I must admit, I am disappointed Roger did not get in.

Although I would like to have seen Roger elected, and he was in my top 4, I was dismayed that he had been a supporter of Jim Owen. I would not support any other candidate without researching them first!

I'm surprised his vote isn't higher though - at least he put some effort in.

The nabo rep did not get the number I expected. So either nabo has a very low membership, or their members did not feel the preferred rep was acceptable, or able.

From my understanding much of the longer established NABO membership, (as opposed to newcomers), does not make use of the Internet or Email The decision to make this an Internet only election means many NABO members, (and maybe many IWA members?) will not have voted, I think.

You clearly have open differences with both NABO and Stella Ridgeway, but to be fair to Stella she has managed second place - no mean feat in the circumstances. (At the end of the day anywhere in the top 4 was enough, of course!)

Though their vice chair stating publicly across the internet that he considered the council a waste of space probably didn't help.

Totally agree - absolutely bizarre for NABO to back a candidate, then rubbish the whole idea that the elections have any relevance. It came late in the day after most that were going to had already voted, but still a bizarre thing to happen.

Wired world.

Assuming you mean "weird world", then yes.

Some encouragements though. In fact Vaughan Welch didn't get into that final place by any great margin It seems, with Ruth McCabe not actually that far behind. At least, I think we can be very confident that very large numbers of people made up their mind about his last term. I would have thought he was a dead cert to get back in, because lots of people just look at the long list of offices held, but clearly many of the electorate got the message this time.

And we have at least avoided Jim Owen and his eccentric ideas!

I'll have to read the explanation because the table GoogGirl has posted is as clear as mud

that is the table CRT published, can you not see it all?

Anybody just seeing the spreadsheet, but who doesn't understand how a Single Transferable Vote election works is in my view going to really struggle. I stood last time, and fully understood the system, but still struggled then to interpret the way in which the votes get transferred as each candidate is eliminated.

Edited by alan_fincher

Really pleased that Andrew Phasey has been elected, and Andy Tidy.

I'm sure others will be pleased at some of those who haven't got in.

I would like to say thank you to all the Business Boaters that cast their vote in my direction. I will endeavour to do all I can to ensure that the needs of Business Boaters are represented on the Council.

Andy

• Greenie 2

Anybody just seeing the spreadsheet, but who doesn't understand how a Single Transferable Vote election works is in my view going to really struggle. I stood last time, and fully understood the system, but still struggled then to interpret the way in which the votes get transferred as each candidate is eliminated.

All explained here:

https://secure2.votebyinternet.com/V2-3-2/(S(4b95a7a8-8ce9-49b9-9f54-8240530b91d7AMIQwEAAAAAAAA=iAgCkouSgC8EXAKSL7v))/resources/attachments/f1435/Explanation.pdf

I would like to say thank you to all the Business Boaters that cast their vote in my direction. I will endeavour to do all I can to ensure that the needs of Business Boaters are represented on the Council.

Andy

Would you be kind enough to add to that? How do you go about promoting your particular interests etc at any of the meetings.