MMMMarmite recipies

metanoia

Featured Posts

Peanut butter and Marmite on toast.

As a kid all our mums used to give us this. As an adult whenever I mention it I get looks of askance and comments like 'YUK'. But it's DELICIOUS, works really well!!!

Do I know you (or your Mum)? cos that's one of our staples, too.....

Crunchy or smooth?

Truly delicious....

ETA: had that for breakfast just two days ago

kettle on....

Edited by metanoia

I thought it was some sort of explosive.

Probably not, but I've always found it strange that monosodium glutamate gets such a bad press, when there is more glutamate in Marmite than any other manufactured product on the planet other than pure monosodium glutamate crystals. Not that i'm bothered, but some folk would be shocked...

Probably not, but I've always found it strange that monosodium glutamate gets such a bad press, when there is more glutamate in Marmite than any other manufactured product on the planet other than pure monosodium glutamate crystals. Not that i'm bothered, but some folk would be shocked...

SHOCKED

But........................

I'd have to ask him for the recipe. It's weird bro alchemy. Barely tastes at all of Marmite. But the subtle aftertaste there is is quite pleasant. Anyone who knows his boat Shadows in Banbury, give him a wave and ask him how it's done. laugh.pngboat.gifcheers.gif

I'm heading for Banbury in the next few months so may well check him out. Will PM nearer the time but hope you can tell it's marmite!!

Then again, if it's wine............

Edited by metanoia

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Marmite CAKE!

Mmmm Mike wipe a piece of bread on your sump it might taste nicer.

A teaspoon of Marmite with a very small amount of hot water to make it runny. Pour over potatoes before roasting. Delicious flavour, browns and crisps them up a treat!

Yer that sounds nice but neat Marmite looks like comastic. Pffft

Mmmm Mike wipe a piece of bread on your sump it might taste nicer.

Yer that sounds nice but neat Marmite looks like comastic. Pffft

No, not when cooked, try it. Only uses a small amount of Marmite and it mostly runs off the taytos.

• 3 weeks later...

You can go on about Marmots but have you tried Vegemite (reported to be originally from the dregs of Victoria Bitter vats !).

It must be pretty good as it was bought out by our old friend Kraft.

Cheers Tim !

Is marmite in any way taste related to Bovril? Seems to be used in meat recipes in the same manner.

I prefer Bovril, Marmite is a little bitter to my taste.

http://jewelpie.com/this-or-that-marmite-vs-bovril/

At one time Bovril contained beef extract.

http://reluctantnomad.blogspot.co.uk/2005/09/bovril-vs-marmite_17.html

My mother stocked both but I was never keen on Marmite. They looked the same and their bottles were very similar even if the Bovril logo was mostly red and the Marmite one mostly yellow. Apart from the taste, the big differentiating factor was that Bovril was made from beef, Marmite from a yeast extract.

So, you can imagine my dismay to hear, late last year, that Bovril had decided to dispense with the beef and become yet another product based on a yeast extract. Reasons cited for this change were drops in sales sparked off by mad cow disease and export restrictions overseas. These restrictions were based on those mad cows and restrictions introduced by Malaysia, one of the biggest Bovril markets, on non-halal meat products. It seems that the Malaysians are very keen on stirring Bovril into their porridge and coffee.

Edited by Ray T