Possible 'blacking' restrictions ahead??

OldGoat

Featured Posts

I just came across this item on the YBW website:_

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/deadline-looms-for-surveys-on-diy-use-of-antifouling-paints-15383

It appears that H&S 'fears' may want to make it impossible for folks to do their own blacking. I haven't read it in detail so don't flame me if I've got it wrong.

There's a petition in progress, so sign up if you agree.

Antifouling paint is very different stuff to blacking.

Copper arsenic salts usually, and designed to come off rather than stay on.

Horrible stuff, and wearing proper PPE is a good idea, but many DIY-ers just squint and hold their breath.

Blacking is basically roof paint :)

Marvellously expensive, lethal stuff. I had it on a wide beam Tupperware years ago.

When it came out of the water there was next to no weed and what there was just wiped off.

It does need doing regularly though, on average every fortnight and costs about £1k a thimbleful.

The best bit is you can get terminal dandruff just from reading the label on the tin. As a consequence, it is advisable to let your Mother in law do the actual painting.

I might have got a bit excited when writing the above and an odd exaggeration may have slipped through.

• Greenie 2

The best bit is you can get terminal dandruff just from reading the label on the tin. As a consequence, it is advisable to let your Mother in law do the actual painting.

I might have got a bit excited when writing the above and an odd exaggeration may have slipped through.

Not much good letting my M-I-L do the paintwork- every time she breathed out the paint would melt!

N

Marvellously expensive, lethal stuff. I had it on a wide beam Tupperware years ago.

When it came out of the water there was next to no weed and what there was just wiped off.

It does need doing regularly though, on average every fortnight and costs about £1k a thimbleful.

I can see that.

It is never advisable to involve the mother-in-law in anything.

Otherwise, spot on.

Where did you get such cheap antifoul from?

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

One or two slight exaggerations perhaps.

I don't know anything about Anti fouling but they better not start trying to stop people using Comastic or similar themselves, they sell a lot worse chemicals and paints in B & Q.

Flipping do Gooders and Health & Safety gone mad.

It's bloody horrible nasty stuff. That's all you need to know.

Any takers for applying NC's new antifoul in February?

You could try the Corbyn approach.

Don't be speciesist and use the lethal stuff (weed has a right to live too). Just write a note on the hull asking, in the interests of peaceful co-existence, if the weed would mind growing somewhere else.

• Greenie 1

You could try the Corbyn approach.

Don't be speciesist and use the lethal stuff (weed has a right to live too). Just write a note on the hull asking, in the interests of peaceful co-existence, if the weed would mind growing somewhere else.

Can weed read?

I started the thread because - being a cynic - often a ban or proposed regulations on something that needs better control rapidly slides sideways to encompass a similar group of products which don't need such rigorous control.

Marine antifouling stuff is pretty toxic (by nature) a coating such as Comastic is less so, but I can see that some ignorant regulatory official treating what 'we' do to our boats as a similar treatment and subject it to over zealous procedures.

I don't know anything about Anti fouling but they better not start trying to stop people using Comastic or similar themselves, they sell a lot worse chemicals and paints in B & Q.

Flipping do Gooders and Health & Safety gone mad.

This may be a silly question, but if you don't know anything about anti fouling, how do you know whether any associated Health and Safety concerns are "mad" or not?

This may be a silly question, but if you don't know anything about anti fouling, how do you know whether any associated Health and Safety concerns are "mad" or not?

I've worked with lots of different paints over the years as a professional paint sprayer so i know a bit about health and safety of some paints and the risks to health, I've Never used Anti Fouling and I admitt that hands up.

I am just hoping they don't try and stop people from renting a dry dock and getting dirty blacking their own boats with Comastic or 2k Paints which I've used a lot on Vehicles.

I took it that Anti Fouling was different to Comastic and was a Clear Coat for GRP which I know nuffing about :-)

Edited by DHutch

I've worked with lots of different paints over the years as a professional paint sprayer so i know a bit about health and safety of paints and the risks to health, I've Never used Anti Fouling and I admitt that hands up.

I am just hoping they don't try and stop people from renting a dry dock and getting dirty blacking their own boats with Comastic or 2k Paints which I've used a lot on Vehicles.

I took it that Anti Fouling was different to Comastic and was a Clear Coat for GRP which I know nuffing about :-)

Have a look here, they have banned the really good stuff (tbt antifouling)

http://copperantifouling.com/copper/

Edited by gazza

I find that in general, the nastier a substance is, the better it works. Think of 'proper' oil-based paint versus the nest to useless water-based low VOC stuff you usually get. The other side of that coin is that some stuff just shouldn't come near unprotected skin/eyes/lungs, and health and safety informative labelling is supposed to tell us which. The trouble is, the compensation protection lawyers employed at enormous cost by the paint etc manufacturers put warnings on everything, even if the contents of a tin are fairly innocuous.

It still makes me shudder to think how many times as a young lad I used carbon tetrachloride as cleaning fluid (Dad was a chemistry teacher). It's now known to be carcinogenic.

Edited by Machpoint005

Have a look here, they have banned the really good stuff (tbt antifouling)http://copperantifouling.com/copper/

That sounds horrid stuff to be breathing in especially if sprayed, so does that mean they are only trying to ban Anti Fouling or all DIY hull protective coatings?

Being honest the way the threads worded it gives the impression they are trying to stop anyone getting dirty and working on their own Narrowboat Hulls ?

Edited by GreyLady

I find that in general, the nastier a substance is, the better it works. Think of 'proper' oil-based paint versus the nest to useless water-based low VOC stuff you usually get. The other side of that coin is that some stuff just shouldn't come near unprotected skin/eyes/lungs, and health and safety informative labelling is supposed to tell us which. The trouble is, the compensation protection lawyers employed at enormous cost by the paint etc manufacturers put warnings on everything, even if the contents of a tin are fairly innocuous.

It still makes me shudder to think how many times as a young lad I used carbon tetrachloride as cleaning fluid (Dad was a chemistry teacher). It's now known to be carcinogenic.

People use to swear by red lead paint and it was good stuff, I think your right, if it's nasty it's generally good gear.

2k has isocyanate in it so that makes sense. :-(

Edited by GreyLady

, the compensatthe ion protection lawyers employed at enormous cost by the paint etc manufacturers put warnings on everything, even if the contents of a tin are fairly innocuous.

This is so true , my business makes sports nutrition and we label everything as being made in a factory that process' nuts even though non of the product contains nuts and the factory doesnt handle them or ever has the nearest the nuts came were as a snack in the drawer of the receptionist . But the lawyers advised belt and braces just in case somewhere in the raw material supply line an operator ate peanuts while within 10 feet of a packing machine without telling anyone .

The world has gone compensation crazy

This is so true , my business makes sports nutrition and we label everything as being made in a factory that process' nuts even though non of the product contains nuts and the factory doesnt handle them or ever has the nearest the nuts came were as a snack in the drawer of the receptionist . But the lawyers advised belt and braces just in case somewhere in the raw material supply line an operator ate peanuts while within 10 feet of a packing machine without telling anyone .

Are these lawyers related to some of the people who write boat surveys, I wonder?