Help with history of a boat

ieestok

Featured Posts

My apologies for the 'red herring'. I will go back into oblivion captain.gif

Noooo - don't do that!

ieestok - priorities are; get the cabin weatherproof: back cabin doors, slide and probably slide runners, then those rotten cants on the back deck replaced and the featherguard re-attached. Roof cant (handrail) looks to be wood and iffy. This is when you need to make decisions about replacing wood with wood - or steel. Then it's all scrape, chip, and paint. It is inevitable you will find things worse than first seen - be prepared.

Best

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

I really like the look of the boat, it does need a lot of TLC but it has the potential to be a real beauty.

I'd say that the priority should be to halt any further deterioration as soon as possible, then start on restoration after Winter. To my eye, the superstucture paintwork is so wasted that I would be looking at a full back-to-metal repaint, which won't be cheap.

Hmmm yes that does appear to be a different boat.

So it seems my only lead is to find D. Jones? Still have no ideas on data and still interested in the little back cabin. Would also love to know what colours I should be doing her up in!

David Jones previously worked & owned working boats, including the Bletchley, so I would guess he knew back cabins were a great use of space on a boat. We'll try & remember to ask him when we next see him, he's now retired but still has his own boat.

Cheers, Brian

Photo%2012-11-2015%2014%2039%2000_zpswfq

That looks to be half a back cabin - it has the range, table cupboard and side bed, but no cross bed. What is behind t panel back right?

Also it is unusual to have a speedwheel and a morse lever. So does the morse lever just operate the gearbox, or is the speedwheel disconnected?

Hmmm yes that does appear to be a different boat.

So it seems my only lead is to find D. Jones? Still have no ideas on data and still interested in the little back cabin. Would also love to know what colours I should be doing her up in!

's he fitted outIt may be worth trying to find if David Jones built the shell or was just the fitter out AISR in the late 60's early 70's he fitted out several boats

David Jones previously worked & owned working boats, including the Bletchley, so I would guess he knew back cabins were a great use of space on a boat. We'll try & remember to ask him when we next see him, he's now retired but still has his own boat.

Cheers, Brian

That would explain it! And thank you very much if you do get to ask him.

David Jones lived at the top lock in Chester, not sure if he still does but its a lead.

Thank you for the information, I feel it may be a little odd for me just to go and knock on his door though..! "Hi, you don't know me but I'm buying a boat you built...."