Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

If the intention was to steal the boat from the outset, then the quick blue paint job might just be to avoid instant recognition as the "missing green boat", which it succeeded in doing.

I would think that there is a possibility that he had an intended storage/hiding destination in mind early on and now the boat is sheeted over in a place that he may have already planned to take it.

I own an old bus and if I had to move it from it's secure undercover storage to a new location, then I would certainly plan something first. It would be too risky to keep moving around looking as if you were searching for somewhere.

I would doubt that the boat is moving about now as he must realise that it is being looked for, even if he thinks that only a few people are looking!

The fact that the boat wasn't painted until after its hire period was over suggests that there was no prior intent to steal it.

If he intended to steal it, he would have gone hell for leather to get as far as possible, and then painted the boat within a few days of picking it up.

I do wonder if he is more clever than we are giving him credit for.

Having painted the boat blue, he strikes up a protracted conversation with some people on holidays.

He knows that;

1) The boat may well be recognised

2) They won't realise for a couple of weeks.

So, it could have been a ploy to fix the "blue holly" image and travel direction in our minds. It is very possible that he repainted it within a couple of days, and headed in a new direction.

He's doing very well at avoiding detection.

Perhaps if we spent more time looking for Holly and David King than examining jpgs and bmps pixel by pixel for some stupidly perceived conspiracy/alterations we might get a result :blink:. :clapping:

And ruin a perfectly good conspiracy theory? Never, I say, Never!! :lol:

The fact that the boat wasn't painted until after its hire period was over suggests that there was no prior intent to steal it. Agreed.

If he intended to steal it, he would have gone hell for leather to get as far as possible, and then painted the boat within a few days of picking it up.

If I had intended to steal it I would only have paid for a week's hire, paid cash, booked under an assumed name, travelled to the hire base by public transport with the paint already in my suitcase, gone somewhere quiet to re-paint then got as far away as possible.

As for the ‘blue Holly ploy’, I think that's far too fanciful. Would he even know about the possibility of an internet-led search? Why would he assume that those people would take a couple of weeks to realise? If they'd had internet onboard, they could have clocked him immediately, why even risk it?

He's doing very well at avoiding detection.

I think that's more by luck than pre-planning, and now we know to look past the colour and the trim, and the publicity is spreading, his luck will run out soon.

I fancy a drive to Oxford(?) at the weekend then a good long bike ride.

By whatever ways the poorer quality pics came to exist we should all just be pleased that people are circulating pictures of a blue boat in an effort to return it to its rightful owners, and to ensure the well being of David King. Having spent a fair bit of time in his company I tend to agree with the more charitably minded people who have posted the opinion that he has suffered some kind of breakdown/burn out and opted out of ordinary life, Reggie Perrin style. Perhaps if we spent more time looking for Holly and David King than examining jpgs and bmps pixel by pixel for some stupidly perceived conspiracy/alterations we might get a result :lol:. :blink:

I agree entirely with my namesake......instead of mulling over the why's and wherefores, let's find the chap, and get him some help.

WE HAVE JUST RECEIVED A TELEPHONE CALL STATING THAT THERE IS A RUMOUR GOING AROUND THAT HOLLY HAS BEEN FOUND ON THE OXFORD CANAL HIDING AMONGST SOME GYPSY BOATS.

WE KNOW NOTHING OF THIS AT ALL AND CAN NOT CONFIRM THIS.

AS FAR AS WE ARE CONCERNED HOLLY IS STILL MISSING

TRISH

WE HAVE JUST RECEIVED A TELEPHONE CALL STATING THAT THERE IS A RUMOUR GOING AROUND THAT HOLLY HAS BEEN FOUND ON THE OXFORD CANAL HIDING AMONGST SOME GYPSY BOATS.

TRISH

Hi Trish do you have any idea where?

'Gypsy boats' are (I suppose) more my dept. than most and, owning wooden boats on the Oxford myself, I have a few 'traveller' contacts.

If I had intended to steal it I would only have paid for a week's hire, paid cash, booked under an assumed name, travelled to the hire base by public transport with the paint already in my suitcase, gone somewhere quiet to re-paint then got as far away as possible.

Indeed, that is one of the mysteries of the whole case.

There was a distinct lack of apparent prior planning, yet since vanishing with the boat he's been doing *very* well

The only point where I would play it differently to you is that I would have gone for a 2 week hire, as it increases the time before anybody starts searching.

As for the ‘blue Holly ploy’, I think that's far too fanciful. Would he even know about the possibility of an internet-led search? Why would he assume that those people would take a couple of weeks to realise? If they'd had internet onboard, they could have clocked him immediately, why even risk it?

I think that's more by luck than pre-planning, and now we know to look past the colour and the trim, and the publicity is spreading, his luck will run out soon.

You are probably right.

To be honest, I'm struggling to find a theory to fit with the way he's gone about it.

He has apparently been dreadfully inept in his planning, but at the same time has been very efficient in making the changes, and in avoiding capture for a considerable time.

It is all so erratic that I can only imagine that he has had some form of mental breakdown, and very possibly honestly imagines that the boat is his.

Hi Carl

The only info. I have received is what I stated. If you could ask around for us - I would be very grateful. Obviously, we dont know anything about the area at all.

Trish

I'll take a drive out now and go visit some moorings I know. I'll start with mine, I've not been up there for a few days and there is room for another boat. This could get embarrassing :lol:

I'll take a drive out now and go visit some moorings I know. I'll start with mine, I've not been up there for a few days and there is room for another boat. This could get embarrassing :lol:

There is a row of moored boats that might fit that description (i.e. "gypsy boats" just north of the road bridge at Fenny Compton. Cowroast Marina is just a couple of hundred yards away from there. Might be worth checking with them.

Graham

I was on the Oxford canal at the weekend on my cousin's boat. We were in the Enslow to Aynho area and I can't remember seeing a boat like 'Holly', though I wasn't actually looking as I've not been on the site for a while. However there was a boat travelling south that I do recall was motoring along pretty quickly and making quite a bow wave. We were moving north at the time and he didn't slow as he passed us. I remember commenting to my cousin that someone could almost waterski behind it! Anyway - I can't remember much of what the boat looked like, but it wasn't particularly long and didn't look anything special really. This was on sunday afternoon around 5:30pm ish.

I fancy a drive to Oxford(?) at the weekend then a good long bike ride.

Now that's an idea. Given that the weather forcast this weekend is good and there are enough of us following this story why don't we all go and patrol our local stretch of canal. I wll cover the GU Leicester branch from top of Watford to top of Foxton (including the Welford Arm). I know that the previous sighting in this area is now being discounted, but if nothing else this will eliminate the area completely. If enough of us do this and post areas covered here we can reduce considerably future search areas and perhaps even get Trish's boat back.

Graham

I live in oxford and the 'gipsy' boats may be an innacurate referal to the eco friendly bunch who inhabit the waterways.Im going to nip out now and have a butchers.I could have sworn i have also seen some advertisement somewhere as well about a boat hull coming to oxford for sale soon.People do have more money than sense here and there are always people after boats .Maybe an idea to call Alchemy boats based just out of oxford to check if they have seen anything.

Now that's an idea. Given that the weather forcast this weekend is good and there are enough of us following this story why don't we all go and patrol our local stretch of canal. I wll cover the GU Leicester branch from top of Watford to top of Foxton (including the Welford Arm). I know that the previous sighting in this area is now being discounted, but if nothing else this will eliminate the area completely. If enough of us do this and post areas covered here we can reduce considerably future search areas and perhaps even get Trish's boat back.

Graham

I'll be walking the Grand Union from Madia Vale to Harrow On The Hill (may manage Bull's Bridge depending on how my feet are feeling! :lol: )

TRISH

Gypsy boats? Isnt that what some of the landlubbing community see us as?? Even though we might be just alternatives or eco boaters?

I'll be walking the Grand Union from Madia Vale to Harrow On The Hill (may manage Bull's Bridge depending on how my feet are feeling! :lol: )

Harrow? You mean Horsenden Hill?

Edited by fender

Nope. Harrow On The Hill / Sudbury - Perhaps I should have said "Greenford Visitor Moorings" - not really with it this morning!

ah yes! Greenford!

But isnt it better to wait and see if this boat on the Oxford is indeed Holly - before you make a trip out from W2/W9? I'm sure we all want to know that the boat has been found and can be returned to its owners safely.

ah yes! Greenford!

But isnt it better to wait and see if this boat on the Oxford is indeed Holly - before you make a trip out from W2/W9? I'm sure we all want to know that the boat has been found and can be returned to its owners safely.

Well I live near Little Venice, so if it's a nice day I'd probably go for that walk anyway!

I apologise for the terminology used by referring to 'gypsy boats'. This is how the message was relayed to me. I thought this was the correct name.

We have a community of travellers living in Middlewich and I am aware that they do not like to be known as Gypsies.

If I have offended anyone - I truly apologise.

Trish

I apologise for the terminology used by referring to 'gypsy boats'. This is how the message was relayed to me. I thought this was the correct name.

We have a community of travellers living in Middlewich and I am aware that they do not like to be known as Gypsies.

If I have offended anyone - I truly apologise.

Trish

Not to worry Trish, lets just hope that Holly has definitely been found.

Hi Trish

Please do not worry about your terminology, I reckon you have enough on your plate at the moment without having to apologise for relaying a message.

I would like to think no one here would of been offended, after all we are all trying to help with the safe return of your narrowboat.

Have a good day and lets hope for positive news very soon, so that you may get back to normal what ever that is LOL.

It would be a good idea if between us we could "do" a length of canal- say 5 or 10 miles each. if we planned it right, we could cover a large part of the network simultaneously!

I can cover the Hudds narrow and broad this weekend, but think Holly won't be up here!

Hope everything is OK at Middlewich and you are not overtly stressing- and that the rest of the season is going to plan!

Mark

It would be a good idea if between us we could "do" a length of canal- say 5 or 10 miles each. if we planned it right, we could cover a large part of the network simultaneously!

I can cover the Hudds narrow and broad this weekend, but think Holly won't be up here!

Hope everything is OK at Middlewich and you are not overtly stressing- and that the rest of the season is going to plan!

Mark

If I'd been on the Oxford I'd be cycling along the towpath looking for Holly, I'm really fed up with these people who think they can steal narrow boats and the sooner this saga has a conclusion the better. Its got to be made absolutely clear that stealing nb's is simply not on one way or another.