Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Just had a go with CanalPlan, to see how far he could have gone, just travelling since he was seen at Hatton. Even at just 4 hours a day, its amazing how far he could have gone...., even allowing for slower single handing.

Some of the places include the sheff and south yorks (Thorne) and the Ashton, but moe seriously, there are a lot of places.....

Keep looking then folks!

Was just wondering if anyone had thought that if the guy who hired Holly was planning to steal her right from day one (or two even!) he could have had however long before she was due to be taken back, to well and truely disguise her, new paint job etc.

Dont know how long he had her booked for - but this could have given him a couple of weeks at least to radically alter her profile and colour scheme.

Granted that he has supposedly paid by credit card and left his car at the hire depot etc - but if it's a dodgy credit card, under a false name and a clapped out old car - do the math, these divided by £40k worth of boat.......

Nige

Nige, I beleive I read earlier than an ex Middlewich Hire employee spotted the boat when it was in it's second week in the hire fleets colour of green, unaltered.

I understand where you're coming from, though. No doubt it'll all come out in the wash (not THE Wash on the east coast I hope).

“This story will now make a good Tv show or film.”

Like Bullit at 4 mph!

Sorry to make fun Trish, I’ve watched this with increasing trepidation since I received a mail oh so long ago now it seems. At first I was gutted that maybe he had got onto a river and sunk, mainly for him but also for you. But now I know his greatest thieving talent is painting and decorating! And combined with malc’s testimonial that he can use a boat I am sure that you will get your boat back. Maybe his life isn’t going so well and the escapism of life on the cut was too much to resist.

His life will be much worse when he gets caught.

I'm based a couple of days cruising from Middlewich, and have always wondered how old Holly was, and who built her as I've been passed the boat and it's also been past us loads of times over the past couple of years. I was also treated to a ramming end up stern (oerr missus) by it in 2005 when I was moored up somewhere along the line on the way to Chester by foreign hirers!

It's a very nice boat... just waiting for the news that it's been found, and is homeward bound.

Edited by Liam

Trish,

I was just wondering if it was possible to remove the picture of Malc's boat from the posters that Paul created? You are more than welcome to use my edit above!

Also, I'd be grateful that if you need to phone me today, could you do so after 12:00 as I've just finished a night shift!

Thank you :(

Jon

I don't wish to throw people off the scent and send you on a wild goose chase, but I'm sure I saw 'Blue Holly' on the first part of our trip out of Hlilmorton to Foxton and back.

I can't be certain it was her but it does look very familliar. I thought at the time it was odd that she didn't have a name and was painted all blue, that looked kinda clean - freshly painted looking clean.

We picked up our boat on 2nd April and reached Foxton on the 5th.

Like I said, I'm not 100%. How many other boats are all blue and without a name? I saw many boats without proper signage, but all of them had notes in the windows with the name of the boat.

I don't wish to throw people off the scent and send you on a wild goose chase, but I'm sure I saw 'Blue Holly' on the first part of our trip out of Hlilmorton to Foxton and back.

I can't be certain it was her but it does look very familliar. I thought at the time it was odd that she didn't have a name and was painted all blue, that looked kinda clean - freshly painted looking clean.

Like I said, I'm not 100%. How many other boats are all blue and without a name? I saw many boats without proper signage, but all of them had notes in the windows with the name of the boat.

So where did you see her? If it was at Braunston on 2/3 April that would fit in with her rate of progress from Hatton etc.

In which direction was she going?

Nick

Hi Tullz

Could you possibly give me a ring on 01606 832460 as soon as possible

Many Thanks

Trish

Of course, if this guy has access to internet on board Holly, we may be helping him to evade capture! Amost like monitoring police radio.

JayCee

Ahh the old publicity versus no-publicity argument. If he goes past my boat and I ring the police. He should be caught before he reaches yours. If it wasn't publicised then, owing to the lack of canal cops, we wouldn't know what to look out for or where.

I didn't take a lot of interest when it was up in Middlewich but I will be looking out for it now it may be in our neck of the woods.

If I hadn't been following the thread then I wouldn't have known.

Edited by carlt

Of course, if this guy has access to internet on board Holly, we may be helping him to evade capture! Amost like monitoring police radio.

I hardly think that anything said here will help him to evade capture in the end.

It is (just) possible that he could use info from here to evade for a couple of days longer, but the bottom line is that what he sees here must surely convince him that there is no way that he can escape for good.

Go back a couple of pages, post#301 from Malc (who saw the new blue Holly at Hatton)

Further to the above posts I think it unlikely that David King is following this thread because 1) he did not seem the type to have a wifi enabled laptop onboard. 2) he is probably too busy altering the inside now, and 3) why should he even suspect that the internet boaties are hunting him?

Trouble is, that was 3 weeks ago, and Tullz' sighting is still a fortnight old. I keep checking new posts expecting to see news of a fresh sighting, but nothing.

Has the Lincolnshire sighting been confirmed, or ruled out as a different (green?) Holly?

Go back a couple of pages, post#301 from Malc (who saw the new blue Holly at Hatton)

Trouble is, that was 3 weeks ago, and Tullz' sighting is still a fortnight old. I keep checking new posts expecting to see news of a fresh sighting, but nothing.

Has the Lincolnshire sighting been confirmed, or ruled out as a different (green?) Holly?

To get to Lincolnshire he would have to pass through manned locks, and lots of them whether on the Leicester arm or on the River Trent, or even if he crossed The Wash after passing down the Nene.....He is to all intents on an unnamed/unlicenced boat and officialdom everywhere is looking for such boats......One or two he could maybe slip through I cannot see how he could possible get through all of these unnoticed on a boat that, quote.... "hasn't got a name yet".

JayCee

or a mate at home relaying info to his mobile - he could have another 'phone. I'm with Carl on this - the more people who know, the better.

To get to Lincolnshire he would have to pass through manned locks, and lots of them whether on the Leicester arm or on the River Trent, or even if he crossed The Wash after passing down the Nene.....He is to all intents on an unnamed/unlicenced boat and officialdom everywhere is looking for such boats......One or two he could maybe slip through I cannot see how he could possible get through all of these unnoticed on a boat that, quote.... "hasn't got a name yet".

Unfortunately it would be fairly simple to use a name and number off a boat he has passed on the system somewhere and nobody would ever know.

I have just seen on a different website that the reporter has said that we have found Holly.

THIS IS NOT TRUE. NOTHING HAS CHANGED (EXCEPT THE COLOUR PERHAPS) HOLLY IS STILL MISSING ALONG WITH MR KING. WE HAVE THE PICTURE OF A REPAINTED HOLLY FROM 28.3.07 ON THE HATTON FLIGHT. FROM THERE, NOTHING CONCRETE.

Please keep looking

Trish

Unfortunately it would be fairly simple to use a name and number off a boat he has passed on the system somewhere and nobody would ever know.

Although if he had to show the boat's licence it would still say Holly. He has the choice to appear un licenced or display Holly's one.