Water tank treatment

bigcol

Featured Posts

But it does "flavour" the water somewhat!

The MCA insist that the water tank on a boat I sometimes skipper is sterilised once per year, done by adding thin bleach as above, then running taps until there is a chlorine smell, and leaving for 24 hours. It usually takes a couple of re-fills of the tank to get rid of the chlorine smell.

Rather than Milton I have used Dr Johnsons  Sterilising fluid which may be found for less than a pound if you try Homebargains or similar rather than Poundland 

http://www.poundland.co.uk/dr-johnsons-sterilising-fluid-1-litre

In the spring I put the whole litre in and then a full tank of water than pull the water through the pipes and shower head . Leave it to snad a few hours or overnight.

Empty the tank by opening taps and refill with fresh water . A second fresh water  flush out may be needed.

Even so we use 5 litre bottles for drinking water - refilled fresh from a mains supply .

Lived on board since 2005 and never treated the water tank anything. Did have a Seagull filter for a few years but the flow was so slow we stopped using it.

Replaced the tank ( stainless steel ) two years ago with a TekTanks one.Nothing wrong with the tank I was just concerned with the fact that I couldn't get at the hull underneath it and imagined it to be slowly rotting away. As the old tank was part of the engine room bulk head I cut in out leaving this section in situ. All that was in the tank after at least 10 years was some very fine orange coloured sediment laying on the bottom.

We do use a Brita filter jug but mostly because it prevents our kettle from scaling up.

As the tank is used continuously I see no reason to treat the water any more than I would treat the water in a house.

Keith

22 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

As the tank is used continuously I see no reason to treat the water any more than I would treat the water in a house.

I would agree with continuous  use there is a good case for doing nothing.

But many of us don't use the boat much over the winter.

7 hours ago, MartynG said:

Indeed and in that circumstance it probably would be advisable to use some form of treatment.

Keith

On 11/10/2017 at 08:18, MartynG said:

I reckon it's that cold down there (my tank's below the waterline) in winter it'll kill anything particularly nasty.  Run most of the water out in Spring and refill.  Not died yet, though I probably will sooner or later.

6 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I reckon it's that cold down there (my tank's below the waterline) in winter it'll kill anything particularly nasty.  Run most of the water out in Spring and refill.  Not died yet, though I probably will sooner or later.

As Doc Martin replied when a little girl asked “Am I going to die?”...

”Yes. Everybody does. But not yet”