That's yer lot I'm off.

pete.i

Featured Posts

Took my boat off the water today. Parked it up on it's trailer in my wife's uncle's farm for free. I've had enough of the way that C&RT are treating boaters, the weather has been rubbish this year so I have only had the boat out 5 times and I am generally just not enjoying boating any more. Plan now is finish the small amount of work that I have to do on the boat and trailer and then put it up for sale. Then, possibly buy a small caravan and do a bit of touring. We shall see.

It's been fun, sort of. Tried a narrowboat and enjoyed that for nearly 5 years then bought my cruiser, Shetland 4+2, but now it's time to try something else before I get too old.

Bye all and thanks for all the help that I have had on this forum and the entertainment.

All best Pete, it is worrying me more and more how things are looking on the cut nowadays, to many things going bad, so dont blame you. Caravaning is great, get out and about more, a lot more, reason i decided to get a boat i can trailer to lakes sea and canal. We have done a fair bit over the years of caravaning and loved it.

enjoy ;)

Wolly :)

Crap weather?

It's not been that bad this year!

Well has been pretty crappy here (Norfolk). Still had the heating on, albeit infrequently, at the end of May. June was not great, July was ok for about three weeks and August it rained! Yup crappy in the extreme.

• Greenie 1

Well has been pretty crappy here (Norfolk). Still had the heating on, albeit infrequently, at the end of May. June was not great, July was ok for about three weeks and August it rained! Yup crappy in the extreme.

We had a cracking week in Norfolk in May. Hoods off for most of it.

A couple of good weeks on the Fens.

I wouldn't call it a bad year so far. We have used the boat every weekend so far.

All best Pete, it is worrying me more and more how things are looking on the cut nowadays, to many things going bad, so dont blame you. Caravaning is great, get out and about more, a lot more, reason i decided to get a boat i can trailer to lakes sea and canal. We have done a fair bit over the years of caravaning and loved it.

enjoy ;)

Wolly :)

I wouldn't believe all of the doom and gloom you hear on here. In reality it isn't like that at all.

Just go out and enjoy boating and being on the water.

• Greenie 1

We had a cracking week in Norfolk in May. Hoods off for most of it.

A couple of good weeks on the Fens.

I wouldn't call it a bad year so far. We have used the boat every weekend so far.

I wouldn't believe all of the doom and gloom you hear on here. In reality it isn't like that at all.

Just go out and enjoy boating and being on the water.

Seconded, have a green thing.

I actually enjoy being on the boat in inclement weather, it's cosy, warm and dry.

Took my boat off the water today. Parked it up on it's trailer in my wife's uncle's farm for free. I've had enough of the way that C&RT are treating boaters

All the best for the future.

But honestly, are you really stopping boating because of the biased reporting here of half a dozen envelope-pushers?

Normal boaters boat for years (or decades) on end with no conflict with CRT.

I've thought about giving up on the grounds it isn't as enjoyable as it was. But I suspect at my age, I'm just rosying up the past a bit. And as the boat's been laid up most of this year I've realised how much I've missed it. Best wishes to the OP - it's always wisest to stop doing something when you don't enjoy it any more rather than ploughing on miserably. Me, though, I can't wait to get going again...

I too think it's been a great Summer for England, and although CRT aren't perfect (who is?) I find them the less bloody minded than BWB and certainly demonstrating more continuity when it comes to enforcing the rules and guidelines.

I think their are many more restrictions about what you do or where you stay overnight in a caravan.

Still each to their own ...... good luck and enjoy yourself.

• Greenie 3

I didn't realise that there were any CRT waters in Norfolk. I thought they were all Broads Authority and EA.

Ah but we do have the Great Ouse, Middle Levels and the Nene - all of which are connected. But I never told you that and if you tell anyone else I shall have to shoot you :-)

Not CRT I agree but there is access to the main network should we actually wish to venture out. But why would we!

Edited by Traveller

I too think it's been a great Summer for England, and although CRT aren't perfect (who is?) I find them the less bloody minded than BWB and certainly demonstrating more continuity when it comes to enforcing the rules and guidelines.

I think their are many more restrictions about what you do or where you stay overnight in a caravan.

Still each to their own ...... good luck and enjoy yourself.

"Mooring" costs soon mount up. Average £25 per night, at certified sites.This includes hook up and water but awnings are extra so are pets. If you don't keep your van at home approx £480 per year at a park, with no hook up or water or anything else for that matter. Approx 10mpg less when towing. Risky stopping in lay-by's over night, we wouldn't do it.

All the best for the future.

But honestly, are you really stopping boating because of the biased reporting here of half a dozen envelope-pushers?

Normal boaters boat for years (or decades) on end with no conflict with CRT.

No I don't take what is said on here to heart. As I said I have had a lot of good advice and help from various forumites for which I am grateful. The spats have been great entertainment which I never participated in but I did read avidly. I'm just not enjoying it anymore. I do volunteer work for C&RT and I think they want you as an unpaid employee. To be fair I also volunteer work for the RNIB and that is the same. But bottom line is I'm just not enjoying my boating any more. So I think it's time for a change. I can't remember who said the bit about it's been a good year for caravaning and I cannot be bothered to scroll back but I wouldn't know I don't have a caravan yet.

We have had a great Summer and lovely Autumn.....that's after 466 miles of canal and river and 249 locks since July.

Got back to our base outside Chester last week.

No problems, reasonable weather, good banter with passing boats and CRT staff

Looking forward to next year