Narrow Boat World Article About Our Incident at Hillmorton on 25th August

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Just on a trivial note, when did the British stop being pissed off and become pissed?

When American "culture" descended on us.

Warning SERIOUSLY OFF TOPIC!

Actually, I thought that Americans didn't use pissed off but it turns out they do.

"American pissed is understood as shorthand for pissed off. Since pissed in AmE does not have any other particular meaning as it does in BrE, it's become fairly common."

See

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=21548

and scroll down in the comments for further enlightenment.

PS this is an "interesting" web site

The Hillmorton volockies are aware of the initial thread about the Fincher's incident, so if they did wish to respond, they can. Possibly, in fact likely, CRT have told them not to, which is understandable.

Given the total absence of any CRT staff posting on CWF, paid or volly, I'm inclined to think there is an organisation-wide ban on them contributing here.

Or a ban on the footsoldiers at least. Sally Ash posted a few times and and there was someone in head office used to post useful stuff here until she stopped three or four years ago. can't for the life of me remember her user name.

The Hillmorton volockies are aware of the initial thread about the Fincher's incident, so if they did wish to respond, they can. Possibly, in fact likely, CRT have told them not to, which is understandable.

As an employee of any organisation it is normal for all external comments to be in the hands of senior managers or media dept, if any are made. I do hope in this case that CRT make a statement at the end of their investigation and not try to make it disappear.

"2 boats have unfortunately partially sunk in old Ford lock at Victoria Park. All on board safe and as well as I suppose you could be in the circumstances. Fire brigade and police here and CRT informed. I'm sure those who've had their boats sink, including 1 man and his young son on the worst sunken boat, could do with some helping hands and cups of tea in the coming days if anyone is about and able to."

From another site this evening , not a a VLK in site I suspect.

"2 boats have unfortunately partially sunk in old Ford lock at Victoria Park. All on board safe and as well as I suppose you could be in the circumstances. Fire brigade and police here and CRT informed. I'm sure those who've had their boats sink, including 1 man and his young son on the worst sunken boat, could do with some helping hands and cups of tea in the coming days if anyone is about and able to."

????

Last time we came through town the only VLK we encountered was at Camden and I have to say he was an absolute legend, it was a nightmare and he made it ok, sounds like this incident happened after dark. The VLK knock off, before dark. Edited by Lady Muck

Last time we came through town the only VLK we encountered was at Camden and I have to say he was an absolute legend, it was a nightmare and he made it ok, sounds like this incident happened after dark. The VLK knock off, before dark.[/quote

The point I was making and should have elaborated I guess is problems in locks can occur no matter who is in control. I hope the boats come up quickly, otherwise I imagine a few last minute plans to avoid the stoppages will be ruined.

Given the total absence of any CRT staff posting on CWF, paid or volly, I'm inclined to think there is an organisation-wide ban on them contributing here.

Or a ban on the footsoldiers at least. Sally Ash posted a few times and and there was someone in head office used to post useful stuff here until she stopped three or four years ago. can't for the life of me remember her user name.

The volunteer manager posted on the initial thread about the incident, too. But he didn't hear what he wanted.

I've remembered now. It was DebbieFiggy or something similar. Profile seems to have been deleted...

The volunteer manager posted on the initial thread about the incident, too. But he didn't hear what he wanted.

No it was not our inital thread about our incident that he posted in.

He did contribute twice to this more generic thread about VLKs generally.posting as emoss. (He is Edd Moss).

As the person in charge of volunteering, I had copied our incident report to CRT to him, and I also pointed out in that thread that CRT had yet to respond to it, and ask him what his expectations might be about time to get a response.

He did not post again, and has never been in contact with us.

No it was not our inital thread about our incident that he posted in.

He did contribute twice to this more generic thread about VLKs generally.posting as emoss. (He is Edd Moss).

As the person in charge of volunteering, I had copied our incident report to CRT to him, and I also pointed out in that thread that CRT had yet to respond to it, and ask him what his expectations might be about time to get a response.

He did not post again, and has never been in contact with us.

Pretty damning.

DebbiF is NOT SallyA

She is a real live person whom some on here know.

Look at Mike's post - he refers to two people firstly Sally Ash, but also to....

someone in head office used to post useful stuff here until she stopped three or four years ago. can't for the life of me remember her user name.

I have been told by more than one person that part of the role Deborah Figuerado ("Debby Figgy") is scanning sites like this one and also social media sites, (and presumably even NBW) for stuff that CRT management may have an interest in seeing.

Mind you the original source of that suggestion may be the same person in each case! I have no idea to what extent this is true, but I would be very surprised if there are not people in CRT watching threads like this one.

Somebody presumably drew Edd Moss' attention to the one in which he put up a staunch defence of Volunteer Lock Keepers, but did not engage the many people who clearly had a less rose tinted view of at least a subset of those so "employed".

Look at Mike's post - he refers to two people firstly Sally Ash, but also to....

I have been told by more than one person that part of the role Deborah Figuerado ("Debby Figgy") is scanning sites like this one and also social media sites, (and presumably even NBW) for stuff that CRT management may have an interest in seeing.

Mind you the original source of that suggestion may be the same person in each case! I have no idea to what extent this is true, but I would be very surprised if there are not people in CRT watching threads like this one.

Somebody presumably drew Edd Moss' attention to the one in which he put up a staunch defence of Volunteer Lock Keepers, but did not engage the many people who clearly had a less rose tinted view of at least a subset of those so "employed".

Debbie figgy monitor's this site amongst others every weekday morning, and then passes any relevant info to the department's. Its part of her job.

CRT don't employ someone to scour the internet, looking for grievances so that they can respond to them. As with other large organisations with a public profile, their only interest is in protecting themselves.

So... if they see something which in their view is malicious or defamatory, or which discloses personal or private details, or if any of their employees have disclosed something they think they shouldn't, they will take the necessary action to have the offending post(s) removed.

The last person in BW to post useful stuff in my opinion was Eugine Baston. I have probably spelt that wrong.

The last person in BW to post useful stuff in my opinion was Eugine Baston. I have probably spelt that wrong.

Eugene Baston

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=154

Tony puts it very well; cheap jibes.

And what does this pathetic piece of content free sneer say? Why are you joining the bandwagon of people with fingers in their ears going 'nah nah nah' rather than paying attention to reports about real safety concerns.

....or do you think Alan Fincher is lying too?

Alan Fincher explained what happened perfectly and is certainly not lying. Yes, i was there.