Strange sight on the South Oxrord

Nic&Ann

Featured Posts

Do you want to debate it properly, I can split the thread into two if you like.

Although I think it is important, there is no rush to do anything but let people mull it over. It isn't something I think about all the time. I've not finished with my own 'research'.

Anywa, it could be merged with the earlier thread to save going over too much of the same ground.

No, not merge. People will not want to read from the beginning of a growing out of date thread.

I'm not sure there's a thread dedicated to Higgs' specific interest - if there is, do you have a link? I know its been brought up in similar related threads but I'm not sure it has one of its own.

No I meant just the general discussion about this boat in a field.

Sorry,I didn't realise there had been a previous thread on this,be interesting to know CRT's view on it!

That boat has indeed been much discussed before; I'd be interested to know a geologist's view on it!

I say this because as far as I can work out the canal in that area is on top of a clay subsoil (known as Lias, from the Jurassic period), and clay is famously impermeable. In other words, under the clay lining of the canal is more clay, so if you dig it out and put it back the water may be unlikely to leak afterwards because it has nowhere to go. If true, this may explain CRT's seemingly relaxed attitude to it?

Don't you mean, drum to bang? And anyway, one mention in a month is hardly force feeding.

yes, clearly something catastrophic went amiss with smartphone, fat fingers and a dumb operator :)

The :cheers: was in the absence of a tounge in cheek emoticon :cheers: etc.

yes, clearly something catastrophic went amiss with smartphone, fat fingers and a dumb operator smile.png

The cheers.gif was in the absence of a tounge in cheek emoticon cheers.gif etc.

I couldn't get by without spellchecker, I'm hopeless. Tongue, by the way. smile.png

That boat has indeed been much discussed before; I'd be interested to know a geologist's view on it!

I say this because as far as I can work out the canal in that area is on top of a clay subsoil (known as Lias, from the Jurassic period), and clay is famously impermeable. In other words, under the clay lining of the canal is more clay, so if you dig it out and put it back the water may be unlikely to leak afterwards because it has nowhere to go. If true, this may explain CRT's seemingly relaxed attitude to it?

If that is the case then the canal at that point would be unlikely to have been puddled, simply relying on the natural impermeability of the surrounding land.

IMO that is still irrelevant, as without a proper survey, the landowner would be in no position to guarantee this and was simply "chancing his arm".

George ex nb Alton retired

True, we pay nothing to CRT as we are in such a marina, which is self watering and provides water to the canal system. I think the owner of the marina should bill CRT for this supply (serious suggestion.)

I think there is room for give and take. The connection fee, I do not object to, on the principle of give and take. Your situation seems to be different to most marinas that would probably dry without canal water supply.

Edited by Higgs

I couldn't get by without spellchecker, I'm hopeless. Tongue, by the way. smile.png

God knows what dictionary this phone uses! I rely on it far too heavily TBH, more for speed of typing than anything else.

A proof read before hitting add reply wouldn't go amiss, that said, it would reduce the amount of cook ups which wouldn't do :)

I think there is room for give and take. The connection fee, I do not object to, on the principle of give and take. Your situation seems to be different to most marinas that would probably dry without canal water supply.

True, it is quite unusual I imagine.

True, it is quite unusual I imagine.

Haven't some properties on the Coventry Canal recently been charged by CRT for disposing of their surface run off water in the cut?

I know some dry docks are charged each time they pump out into the cut and the charged AGAIN when they refill using the same water!

I say, well done CRT. The more they spread the charging regime where they can legitimately do so, the less they will need to chase the private boater with inflation busting increases.

Haven't some properties on the Coventry Canal recently been charged by CRT for disposing of their surface run off water in the cut?

I know some dry docks are charged each time they pump out into the cut and the charged AGAIN when they refill using the same water!

I say, well done CRT. The more they spread the charging regime where they can legitimately do so, the less they will need to chase the private boater with inflation busting increases.

Might happen eventually. Time will tell. It is quite complex where we moor, and goes back years to before the canal was even there. It was a riverside boat building yard originally for mining purposes, and the canal was later cut through it, so it is a stream that once fed the river now feeding the "new" canal (and the marina). I am no legal expert, but imagine that could get quite tricky. "They" chose to put the canal there so accepted the water for all these years? Status quo and all that?

God provided the stream so perhaps should be billed by CRT for same? wink.png

Edited by Guest

Might happen eventually. Time will tell. It is quite complex where we moor, and goes back years to before the canal was even there. It was a riverside boat building yard originally for mining purposes, and the canal was later cut through it, so it is a stream that once fed the river now feeding the "new" canal (and the marina). I am no legal expert, but imagine that could get quite tricky. "They" chose to put the canal there so accepted the water for all these years? Status quo and all that?

God provided the stream so perhaps should be billed by CRT for same? wink.png

Given that the Church of England is "established", perhaps they will pay the CRT bill on his behalf?

Get a room you two? wink.png

Anyway - no-one has gone and asked CRT. No-one has gone and asked the landowner/boatowner what's it all about Alfie.

I suppose speculation is fun, though.

Edited by Emerald Fox

Get a room you two? ;)

Anyway - no-one has gone and asked CRT. No-one has gone and asked the landowner/boatowner what's it all about Alfie.

I suppose speculation is fun, though.

I'll second that Emerald Fox,speculation is fun

I've been told that the boat owner also owns the land that it's on/in, so he's not trespassing. As the canal is still full of water and the field isn't, one may conclude that he has not done any damage to the bankside.

I do like the "Stop" sign which he's planted on top of the big mound of earth. Laughed about it when we went past earlier in the year.

Well as the water level in the hole is the same as the canal and has been since day one I would suggest he must have damaged the bank as the two are now effectively connected.