Cleaning wood Burning Stove Glass

Aunty_Rinum

Featured Posts

Brillo pad, dry, can use it on glass when hot, e.g. to clean off the initial condensation tar when lighting. The soap in the pad sort of lubricates it as you scrub, Otherwise newspaper, spit and wood ash.

Brillo pad, dry, can use it on glass when hot, e.g. to clean off the initial condensation tar when lighting. The soap in the pad sort of lubricates it as you scrub, Otherwise newspaper, spit and wood ash.

Will all result in a lot of effort and scratched glass. Wet wipes are the answer. If anyone tries them, please report back.

I have a Morso Badger (..the next size up from the Squirrel..) multi fuel stove, which is defra-approved for burning wood in a smokeless zone. I admit it is in a house rather than a boat, and I only ever burn wood, but I only ever seem to get soot on the glass when I close down the air supply... so I don't usually close it. If I do close it down occasionally, I usually find that most of the soot deposited usually burns off. Running stoves with the air closed down causes incomplete combustion resulting in soot and Carbon Monoxide, and if there are any 'weaknesses' in the stove or flue (eg cracked glass, cracked stove or leaks in the flue) then CO can leak out... As to cleaning soot off, a soft sopnge with washing up liquid usually does the trick.

Will all result in a lot of effort and scratched glass. Wet wipes are the answer. If anyone tries them, please report back.

No scratches on glass after 6 or 7 years of use at home. Maybe the eco fan helps! Little effort involved with spit n ash n paper, or brillo pad.

No scratches on glass after 6 or 7 years of use at home. Maybe the eco fan helps! Little effort involved with spit n ash n paper, or brillo pad.

I was using brillo pads back in the 1970's for cleaning the glass on a Rayburn room heater and have done the same on our Villager Puffin on board the boat for years and I will confirm it does not cause scratched glass.

I have not tried wet wipes but will do so next time we are on the boat.

Those people who mention they would need to go and buy some for the purpose have obviously not realised how many uses wet wipes have. I would not be without them on the boat. They are great at getting greasy hands clean and will even remove blacking!

Those people who mention they would need to go and buy some for the purpose have obviously not realised how many uses wet wipes have. I would not be without them on the boat. They are great at getting greasy hands clean and will even remove blacking!

Hmm. But if my hands are greasy I can clean them with soap and/ or washing up liquid, both of which we have on the boat already; and, since many boaters take care not to remove blacking if they can avoid it, why would you want to remove it?

So wet wipes will not be on my shopping list.

(This is becoming a candidate for that "Massive argument" thread!)

Assuming you have hot running water and soap to hand then that is fine.

Arriving to our boat in the middle of winter and setting the fire I much prefer to use a wet wipe than to thrust my hands that are black with coal muck under a freezing cold tap then remove the rest of the soot that has not been removed by the cold water on the clean towel.

You shouldn't. They do not degrade like toilet paper does and so they are best not getting into the sewer system at all

They burn ok though

And put noxious fumes into the air!

When I had a Boatman stove it burnt the soot off the glass when lit again the soot only seemed to build up as fire died.

I agree, this is about the one good thing about the Boatman stove. The glass stays clean.

I'm still chucking mine out though as everything else about it is RUBBISH!!!!

I did and Im absolutey staggered! Thick black soot that was baked on took minimum effort to remove, but what on earth are wet wipes doing to babies bottoms!

Great tip though, thanks.