Tim & Pru New Series

pig

Featured Posts

I fancied a cruise on the Broads until I saw how busy it was. I assume it’s really quiet at this time of the year  

Last time I was there (33 years ago) I was racing a dinghy on Hickling Broad as a fresh faced 17 year old. 

Just now, MHS said:

I fancied a cruise on the Broads until I saw how busy it was. I assume it’s really quiet at this time of the year  

Last time I was there (33 years ago) I was racing a dinghy on Hickling Broad as a fresh faced 17 year old. 

Don't be put off, we boated on the broads April and September and its fine. Its also worth getting a boat that goes under the lower bridges on the Northern rivers which makes it even quieter...

8 minutes ago, MJG said:

Don't be put off, we boated on the broads April and September and its fine. Its also worth getting a boat that goes under the lower bridges on the Northern rivers which makes it even quieter...

Thank you. It’s some thing for us to look into. Can you be a little more specific as to which Broads are the quieter ones? I may  persuade my 86 year old dad to come too. He spent time down there in the past. 

3 minutes ago, MHS said:

Thank you. It’s some thing for us to look into. Can you be a little more specific as to which Broads are the quieter ones? I may  persuade my 86 year old dad to come too. He spent time down there in the past. 

In general the Northern rivers are busier as they are prettier (arguably) and more hire boats are based there.

However if you can get a boat that goes under potter Heigham, Wroxham and Wayford bridges you will gain access to some very quiet stretches, especially out of season.

10 hours ago, MJG said:

In general the Northern rivers are busier as they are prettier (arguably) and more hire boats are based there.

However if you can get a boat that goes under potter Heigham, Wroxham and Wayford bridges you will gain access to some very quiet stretches, especially out of season.

I would agree with that. not many hire boats will get up there.

• 1 month later...
On 29/10/2017 at 23:29, MHS said:

Horsey mere is very peaceful and more or less deep throughout, good for sailing.

8 hours ago, bizzard said:

Horsey mere is very peaceful and more or less deep throughout, good for sailing.

Thank you for the info. 

On last nights Mon & Brec, Tim & Pru both hinted that it might be their last planned trip on the canals. It seems to be the last of the series. 

I would love to think they could enjoy a trip on a hotel boat, which takes the pressure off to steer / work the locks. 

9 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Did their boat really "stall" in the tunnel?

I'm surprised no body has mentioned the gate opening using the boat? Of course some people argue its ok but why on earth was an experienced boater trying to open the gate by pushing on the beam rather then leaning back on it?

Hints of it being done for 'dramatic effect' me thinks.

Edited by MJG

10 minutes ago, MJG said:

I'm surprised no body has mentioned the gate opening using the boat? Of course some people argue its ok but why on earth was an experienced boater trying to open the gate by pushing on the beam rather then leaning back on it?

She always does them, probably his first

1 hour ago, MJG said:

• Gate opening with the boat,
  • stalling in the tunnel
  • colliding with the bank
  • and leaving the boat tied in a lock

are - in my opinion - feeble attempts by the producer to introduce a modicum of fallibility in to the scene, lest the Great Unwashed think there's no skill involved in boating.

Given that the above is a requirement of the plot - what would you do? Nevertheless I do find it extremely irritating, especially as both of them have been boating for many years and wouldn't be so clumsy.

6 hours ago, MJG said:

If he had been pulling the beam it would have whacked into him when the boat hit the gate ( set up? )

When the boat stalled it looked to me as if the key was in the off position when he leaned forward to 'try it again'. Maybe I'm wrong :unsure:.

I did enjoyed the program and hope that Prue is well enough to get out on the cut a few more times as it does seem to bring back memories for her. Of course Tim is no spring chicken either.

On 08/12/2017 at 00:00, Laurie.Booth said:

Did their boat really "stall" in the tunnel?

No because there's no buzzer sounding and it looked to me like the ignition key was in the off position. Having witnessed some of the filming on the Stratford canal episode, I can confirm that a lot was done for effect. I'm think Tim's crashing into locks and bridge holes is all staged, after all the programme is aimed at Joe public and not experienced boaters.

Edited by Flyboy
  • Greenie 1