Rayns Island River Soar

Richard T

Featured Posts

Maybe the new owner fancies building a "Grand Designs" type house.

How about one that rises up at times of flood? Remember the program where one was built on the Thames. Horribly over budget due to access problems, but you should keep your feet dry.

If I bought an island I'd declare it an independent state, call myself a King, and build a pub with no smoking ban.

Already been done and by an Englishman. Matthew Dowdy Shiell claimed the island and appointed himself King of Redonda after Queen Victoria gave her blessing.

1920px-Redonda_from_the_southeast.JPG

Remember sailing past en-route to Nevis from Antigua. Click for info.

passed it many times but not seen it when flooded

Not allowed to navigate when river in flood.

We looked at the island a few years ago with some interest, then followed weeks when the soar was so flooded there was no boating. The whole area round there is flood plain hence the a6 being on an embankment.

When I saw that Grand Designs program about the house on the island on the Thames which floats up on a flood, my concern was that a flood would be sure to deposit silt and other debris underneath it, so the house would end up perched on an ever-increasing layer of stuff, perhaps in an uneven arrangement which might cause a structural problem. It seemed to me that it would make much more sense to simply build on stilts like they do in Borneo (and probably elsewhere too).

But, assuming that planning permission would be possible for something bigger than that bungalow on the island, who would be happy to accept the risk of being cut off for weeks on end by floods? In the absence of a high enough bridge, a house could be made quite self-sufficient with solar panels, stove heating and a well stocked larder, but I suppose the occupants would be trapped there; even in a rubber dinghy with an outboard and having local knowledge, could someone negotiate the strong current and be sure what unseen obstructions lie under the flood water? Could always build a helipad I suppose?

Helipad would occupy most of that island! Not to mention the nearby high voltage overhead power lines being a severe hazard.

Boat access is about all there is, and Sileby Mill Lane the nearest road access from which to set out.

DSC_0127.jpg

Sileby mill Lane on a good day......

Have the T shirt! It can get very wet around there.

I imagine Steve lived on his Dutch barge, at least during floods, when he resided on the island.

We looked at said barge a few years ago when the then owner had it up for sale. Didn't buy it for a number of reasons.

• 1 year later...

Went by the island yesterday and very impressed to see someone making a real go of it. There seemed to be a veg patch, greenhouse, bee hive, solar shed, wood stack, etc. The island looked much tidier than when we looked at it. Someone has worked very hard and was good to see their results. I wish them well. 

We had a boatman who got stuck in Loughborough by a flood one winter. He met up with some students who persuaded him it would be a good idea to plant some weed on islands in the sewer and then harvest it in due course. He had some plants in the back cabin but forgot to water them so grand scheme came to nowt.