Canal history

BenC

Featured Posts

I know someone mentioned it the other day, but BBC 1 Canals the making of a nation. Now on

Hello MIKE, very professional!

But it is only on some BBC regions, with a different episode in different areas.

But do not despair! The whole series (six episodes I think) is being shown across the BBC on BBC4 starting next Tuesday.

Hello everyone

The presenter was Liz McIvor, who is involved with the Bradford industrial Museum - good museum, but had only one photograph of the Bradford Canal when I was last there - no other mention of canals, unless I missed something.

Actually, I thought she was very clear and well-expressed, but it wasn't obvious whether she knew much about the waterways. Notwithstanding that, she now has a book about waterways to her credit!

! didn't recognise Liz McIvor from a waterways context - does anyone know if she is a familiar figure on the waterways?

Eagle-eyed members may note that I was involved with this series - I would be very interested to see what people thought of it.

Take care, everyone.

Joseph

Joseph, I have watched 4 of the series so far on TV and I Player.

I have enjoyed them. I feel they have the knack of appealing to both the "enthusiast" and the layman. I particularly enjoyed the historical aspect and despite the above comment I feel Liz imparts the knowledge without being patronising.

I'm not aware of her being associated with the waterways before these programmes.

Yes, I did notice your name in the credits and your face "popping" up from time to time.

Edited by Ray T

Only seen one. Presenter does not have to be an expert as such as those where wheeled in as needed. Her presenting style was iMo, appropriate. Enjoyed the section re Pickfords. Never knew just how big they got to and how quick they left.

This is one of the few canal programs that didn't make me want to throw things at the screen.

The director obviously likes playing with drones and there was a couple of good aerial shots of Cowroast.

My only real quibble was the bloke from Pickfords who kept on referring to "barges".

Only seen one. Presenter does not have to be an expert as such as those where wheeled in as needed. Her presenting style was iMo, appropriate. Enjoyed the section re Pickfords. Never knew just how big they got to and how quick they left.

I have records of 281 boats operated by Pickford and Company although some were on hire from other carriers, with all but one being of narrow beam and all gauged on the Grand Junction Canal between July 1802 and May 1849.

I am yet to be convinced that the 18 Pickford and Company boats gauged on the B.C.N. in the mid to late 1890's have anything to do with the Pickford and Company mentioned above.

Hi, newbie here. For me this series is an incredible coincidence, given I've just confirmed the direct link between my family and a family of bargees at Fenton & Torksey in the second half of the 1800s. I've got lots to learn about their history - seems they had a rough life.

Glad to see this forum.

Watched them all now. Just a little disappointed with the final episode called 'Heritage'. Seemed more a celebration of modern architecture around the waterways. Me being picky I guess.

Welcome Norrette - "bargees"?

Boatees, Boatmen & Women, Keelmen, or bargemen!! Though Pathe News seem to like the bargee title. wink.png