£20k crowdfund appeal

MtB

Featured Posts

Copied from his crowdfund page - "Unfortunately….

I woke up on Monday morning to discover that The Golden Crow; the boat I have been building for the last 2 years has sunk. It’s my home, my possessions, and my dreams and they are lying at the bottom of the canal and I don’t even know why?

I'm not even sure how to even put into words how I feel to be homeless & lose all I have worked for so long. It is devastating. What do I do???"

So if it's his home how come he didn't notice it was sinking? Did he wake up under water?

He was sleeping elsewhere... I also hear that he is, and was prior to the sinking, living on a different boat entirely. The sunk boat doesn't even have an engine.

I can't believe Copal/Gopal is unaware of this thread, and as he and his minions have been quick to shout down the haters in other places, I am surprised he has not posted here.

Edited by Starcoaster

Yes, you are right about crowdfunding

Charitable donations must be to a registered charity to qualify for tax relief

This guy's pitch is neither - it's begging pure and simple

Or, given that he is a new age 'healer' of some sort and most of the early donations seem to be from people he knows/ex clients i would say it's more of a revival tent type scam he's doing. Anyone with half a brain can deduce that he is asking for money to fund his lifestyle which no doubt includes winters in Goa

If people are dumb enough to give him money more fool them

Yes, and I would expect a bona fide charity to be registered. I prefer to donate to registered charities so that they can get more money from the public purse.

People should be protected from crime but if they are daft enough to reach into their pockets without adequate information on which to base their decision, then as you say, more fool them.

Yes, but that's only for people that have earned enough money to be taxed on, I'm sure that many of the donators were just relatively poor fellowboaters that gave some of their hard needed dosh because they felt so sorry for this con artist, while of course not knowing he is one.

Because their income isn't high enough to pay income tax, they can't deduct the amount of their donation, and their money is lost.

So for someone wealthy enough, it doesn't really cost to donate, as they can claim it back on their income tax.

Peter.

I wouldn't regard a basic rate taxpayer as wealthy, but he/she can still use Gift Aid provided they don't claim more than their annual income tax bill. A higher rate income tax payer can claim at their marginal rate, I think, although it isn't at zero cost to them as you seem to suggest - only the tax paid on the donation is recovered.

Yes, and I would expect a bona fide charity to be registered. I prefer to donate to registered charities so that they can get more money from the public purse.

People should be protected from crime but if they are daft enough to reach into their pockets without adequate information on which to base their decision, then as you say, more fool them.

I wouldn't regard a basic rate taxpayer as wealthy, but he/she can still use Gift Aid provided they don't claim more than their annual income tax bill. A higher rate income tax payer can claim at their marginal rate, I think, although it isn't at zero cost to them as you seem to suggest - only the tax paid on the donation is recovered.

Thanks for your information, it's a while ago that I had to pay income tax, and I never knew that I could have declared my donations at the time for a tax reduction.

Nowadays I don't have to pay income tax, as my retirement income is about just enough to buy some apples to avoid too many doctors visits, that are free due to the hight of my income, but I have to pay for the apples.

Peter.

Thanks for your information, it's a while ago that I had to pay income tax, and I never knew that I could have declared my donations at the time for a tax reduction.

Nowadays I don't have to pay income tax, as my retirement income is about just enough to buy some apples to avoid too many doctors visits, that are free due to the hight of my income, but I have to pay for the apples.

Peter.

Just to avoid possible confusion, it's the charity that makes the claim (with your permission) to reclaim the tax you have already paid on your contribution. So for example if I give them £75 they can claim another £25, being the 25% income tax I have paid on £100 gross. Yes I know that's not the tax rate but you get the picture...

Edited by Machpoint005

He was sleeping elsewhere... I also hear that he is, and was prior to the sinking, living on a different boat entirely. The sunk boat doesn't even have an engine.

I can't believe Copal/Gopal is unaware of this thread, and as he and his minions have been quick to shout down the haters in other places, I am surprised he has not posted here.

Can you post a link to this thread in the place where all these comments you mention being deleted?

Just draw attention to the tread title, he'll prolly be pleased you did, so he can contribute to this thread and answer any negative comments.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

There is a comments box at the bottom of his page. Has anyone tried asking the obvious questions there? Or does he just delete them?

Well, he seems to have deleted mine! I commented that eight grand would get him a nice cruiser and that his story was a scam. Next time I looked there were no comments.

Well, he seems to have deleted mine! I commented that eight grand would get him a nice cruiser and that his story was a scam. Next time I looked there were no comments.

How about commenting again, simply with a link to this thread. I'm sure he would find it interesting.

How about commenting again, simply with a link to this thread. I'm sure he would find it interesting.

Not a lot of point if he can just delete them. Although to be honest, anyone who fell for that story is an idiot and I suppose it could be, as they say, a case of evolution in action. Offering a tarot reading/weird therapy session in exchange for your contribution is a bit of a give away.

PS my boat's just costing me another seven grand for replating. Anyone wants to send me some money I'll do your tarot in advance... it says your personal card is the major arcana, number zero....

This sort of stuff makes me very cross. Or have I misinterpreted?

It doesn't make me cross as such, maybe slightly disappointed in the individual, but mainly somewhat in despair for those that volunteered the money.

I saw the page, didn't do much digging, saw what I saw, didn't donate.

Had it have been a friend of mine, a reasonable request, or any manor of other things than I might have parted with money, certainly I would go a long way to help a friend. But shelling out to randoms I don't know, because they lost an uninsured asset.... really?

Daniel

PS my boat's just costing me another seven grand for replating. Anyone wants to send me some money I'll do your tarot in advance... it says your personal card is the major arcana, number zero....

Anybody falling for that old shite about their boat needing replating needs their bumps felt...!

Just to avoid possible confusion, it's the charity that makes the claim (with your permission) to reclaim the tax you have already paid on your contribution. So for example if I give them £75 they can claim another £25, being the 25% income tax I have paid on £100 gross. Yes I know that's not the tax rate but you get the picture...

Forgive my pedantry ... I can't help it. If you give £80, then the charity can reclaim £20 tax - which happens to be 25%. You had to earn £100 to get £80 in your pocket, so the charity actually reclaims 20% basic rate tax on £100, which is £80 grossed up.

The formula for the tax reclaim is (gift x 100/80) x 20%.

I’ll get my coat.

You couldn't NOT take a look, could you, really...!

But seriously, folks, I'll be re cloaking (sad StarTrek reference) if he makes an appearance to "defend" hisself as, like I said - I met him a couple of times and IMHO he's a d#ckI wouldn't be able to resist having a dig and I really won't get into that on here. Anyhoo, it would be much more fun to tell him he's a d#ck in person at some point...

Theres only one comment on the fundraising page now. Its written by his girlfriend

Clearly proving that he has read the comment and link to this thread, as he has deleted it.

Seriously, someone take the Kool-aid away from these people... I love the fact that those of us who are screaming that this guy and his funder are blatant frauds are being called out as jealous, as opposed to simply ragingly angry that this dude is being so dishonest and that total strangers are being conned, as well as the implications that this will have for other people who may be really in need and those who might otherwise have helped them in the future!

I suppose it just goes to prove that if you put 50 down syndrome children in a room together, there's going to be a lot of hugging.

Edited by Starcoaster