Aqualine Narrowboats ?

GreyLady

Featured Posts

...which makes it odd that their web site says that they're built at Malbork in Poland.

I can confirm that all new Aqualine boats are built in Poland in Gdansk. The narrow boats were built in the the UK for a short time At MCC but production was then re-established in Poland.

Interesting saying they are higher in the water. We were moored next to an Aqualine boat for 4 years and it never towered above hours. But our neighbour I presume had full tanks.

We now own a widebeam Aqualine boat and they are not under specified with batteries or kit nor was our neighbours narrowboat.

I would say the quality of fit out is on par with any of the builders. I would focus on the fact that the labour rates are cheaper and the quality of the fit out materials are the same as would be used in the UK. They also adopt a semi bespoke fitout approach so you can often find subtle differences from boat to boat.

Stating the obvious, but Braidbar are only boat fitters. They may choose whose steel shells to offer, but they don't actually build them.

Unless you measure up all aspects of a boat, just (for example) comparing cabin heights is pretty meaningless. Some boats have shallow hulls, and hence need taller cabins, those with deeper hulls can provide dsame headroom but cabin top is shallower. assuming similar ballasting, both may well have similar "air draughts", but each may look very different.

I would not have thought any of the well recognised shell builders of any quality particularly likely to build something too tall or wide. Mostly a modern shell, similarly ballasted, will fit under similar arches to those from competing builders. Only when the boat differs wildly from a norm will it normally become that significant, I would say.

The first 20 or so Braidbars were built on Chapell and Wright shells, most of the rest are Tyler/Wilson, either the standard shell or the josher style with more shape to bow and stern and more sheer. But they've always been prepared to fit out a shell by any reputable builder, so there are a few Colecrafts, a Mel Davies and a Barry Hawkins out there that I know of.

I can confirm that all new Aqualine boats are built in Poland in Gdansk. The narrow boats were built in the the UK for a short time At MCC but production was then re-established in Poland.

Which means when buying an older one, you need to find out where it was built. The Polish ones I've seen have always been fitted out very neatly. The British ones ... varied.

If you are going for a trad, tall boats give a high tiller to clear the rear hatch. If you are vertically challenged this gives a very awkward steering position. Unless the rear counter is very upswept. I see lots of boats passing our mooring like this with the steerer looking very uncomfortable.

Thanks Alan for explaining stuff to me, its much appreciated.

Obviously i want a Narrowboat that can do all the Tunnels and not worry about every Bridge.

its going to be a learning course even getting throug them for a new beginner like myself.help.gif

I don't know whether you have already, but it doesn't sound like it, so may I suggest that it may save you a lot of angst and potentially quite a few bob to do the initial learning part on a hire boat. I'd think it unlikely that you won't manage locks, tunnels and bridges at the end of a week (at least relatively well!) but, if you can't, at least you'll have learned a lot more about boats and canals and had a nice holiday!

It will do much inform your buying process and may save you from knocking the corners of your lovely new Aqualine or whatever too.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the advice

i have changed my thinking about polish boat builders maybe i was being too judemental to something being built out of the UK.

They do look nice and i cant wait until December.smile.png

Millions of British people have long since ceased being judgemental about cars built in Germany, Japan, France and even eastern Europe (Skodas are respected nowadays!) So why should it be different for boats?

I don't know whether you have already, but it doesn't sound like it, so may I suggest that it may save you a lot of angst and potentially quite a few bob to do the initial learning part on a hire boat. I'd think it unlikely that you won't manage locks, tunnels and bridges at the end of a week (at least relatively well!) but, if you can't, at least you'll have learned a lot more about boats and canals and had a nice holiday!

It will do much inform your buying process and may save you from knocking the corners of your lovely new Aqualine or whatever too.

Best wishes.

I don't know whether you have already, but it doesn't sound like it, so may I suggest that it may save you a lot of angst and potentially quite a few bob to do the initial learning part on a hire boat. I'd think it unlikely

Best wishes.

Hi Sea Dog

Good advice thanks, i am planning to do a 2 day boat handling course and to hire a Boat after that, i have found somewhere local that does this.

Thinking about this now its just popped into my head that they may not offer this towards the end of the year. ( i better check this out )

I would hate to duff the corners in on a boat that would be devastating.sad.png

Millions of British people have long since ceased being judgemental about cars built in Germany, Japan, France and even eastern Europe (Skodas are respected nowadays!) So why should it be

Edited by grumpy146

Please bear in mind that my comments on the electrical installation and air draft were made after seeing just two boats. Aqualine have made many boats and I expect there are lots of variations in dimensions, equipment and fit out quality over the years. Boats are pretty much hand built one offs. Unlike cars you can't say that one particular make and model is good or bad.

So rather than thinking it's an Aqualine thats good/ bad get a survey, investigate the build and equipment thoroughly and check the dimensions.

Things I missed when evaluating our boat included. MDF used in fitout (very bad) washing machine Impossible to get out (potentially expensive). Water drains into lockers not out. Plus many more niggles.

BTW its not an Aqualine but came from a respected builder and if I ever meet him there will be a frank exchange of views.

Top Cat

Does Aqualine Marina have a good reputation for Narrowboats ?

I really do like the look of this one.

http://www.newandusedboat.co.uk/used-boat.php?boatID=628

I am hoping to be in a position to buy in December.

thanks

Newbie first post

yes it is a nice looking boat

immaculate inside.looks brand new! a few scrapes on the outside but thats probably going to happen anyway

put an offer in last Monday and after a bit of haggling offer was accepted.probably paid a bit more than we wanted to,but as i said the previous owner has kept it in pristine condition.and the other half was keen.Just waiting for survey.fingers crossed

i know what some of you guys have said about surveys.with some of you saying its a waste of money .

i know very little about engines,electrics,gas etc. so I'm having it done for peace of mind.

I'm sure you will be hearing from me again shortly, I'm sure i will have many questions that i know you'll be able to answer

Looks a lovely boat, good luck with the survey. Price wise I would say thats realistic. I looked at a couple of aqualines and its in line with these. Abnb brokers told me they love having them in to broker, as they are popular due to their obvious qualities. I shouldn't take much notice of one or two comments on height and electrics. They have built something over 500 boats, they must fit under bridges.

Ian .

Newbie first post

immaculate inside.looks brand new! a few scrapes on the outside but thats probably going to happen anyway

put an offer in last Monday and after a bit of haggling offer was accepted.probably paid a bit more than we wanted to,but as i said the previous owner has kept it in pristine condition.and the other half was keen.Just waiting for survey.fingers crossed

i know what some of you guys have said about surveys.with some of you saying its a waste of money .

i know very little about engines,electrics,gas etc. so I'm having it done for peace of mind.

I'm sure you will be hearing from me again shortly, I'm sure i will have many questions that i know you'll be able to answer

Make sure you instruct your surveyor to check the stuff you don't know about and not just check the hull.

Newbie first post

i know very little about engines,electrics,gas etc. so I'm having i

Edited by grumpy146

...which makes it odd that their web site says that they're built at Malbork in Poland.

I know this will be controversial, but I personally consider it to be a sad state of affairs that British narrowboat builders will be on the dole because narrowboats are being built in Poland, a country which, lovely as it is, has no tradition of narrowboating but which has spotted yet another opportunity to undercut western European wages..

I know this will be controversial, but I personally consider it to be a sad state of affairs that British narrowboat builders will be on the dole because narrowboats are being built in Poland, a country which, lovely as it is, has no tradition of narrowboating but which has spotted yet another opportunity to undercut western European wages..

Yawn. Nothing to do with A British entrepreneurs using the Poilish expertise and history of shipbuilding.

I have yet to find Narrowbuilt all fitted with British produce ie fridge freezer inverter etc it's quite poor argument

Yawn. Nothing to do with A British entrepreneurs using the Poilish expertise and history of shipbuilding.

I have yet to find Narrowbuilt all fitted with British produce ie fridge freezer inverter etc it's quite poor argument

I appreciate that Poland has a fine history of shipping, the last time I was in Gdansk shipyard, the "Solidarinorsk" graffiti was still visible on the dockyard walls. And I do understand that items I buy are cheaper because they are manufactured in post-Communist economies. However, that doesn't preclude me from mourning the death of the British manufacturing industry, even if you start your post with the word "Yawn".

I appreciate that Poland has a fine history of shipping, the last time I was in Gdansk shipyard, the "Solidarinorsk" graffiti was still visible on the dockyard walls. And I do understand that items I buy are cheaper because they are manufactured in post-Communist economies. However, that doesn't preclude me from mourning the death of the British manufacturing industry, even if you start your post with the word "Yawn".

Which is of course complete bollux.

Plenty of manufacturing still taking place in Britain. Drive around any industrial estate to see it happening.

Which is of course complete bollux.

Plenty of manufacturing still taking place in Britain. Drive around any industrial estate to see it happening.

Yes but let's not let facts get in the way of a good old anti EU rant....

My new car was built in Korea, I wonder what that has to do with the EU?