Dazler

Featured Posts

Some people are just impossible. Any faster than a paddling duck and they get apoplexy. canals are supposed to be travelled on and if I was going at the sort of speed some people would think is correct I would still be halfway down the GU and it would still be 2010. Take no notice. Its what they do to feel outraged - they enjoy it.

Spot on. There are people on the planet that take great joy in humiliating others. They live by their ego.

Do you really think it will do any good reporting it to CRT?

Maybe not a single incident, but if there are more?

Will it do any good to not report it?

Edited by Guest

I dont support what happened but I don't see what CRT can do regardless of how many complaints they get. I don't know of any by- law where they can refuse to licence your boat.

My thoughts exactly.

I dont support what happened but I don't see what CRT can do regardless of how many complaints they get. I don't know of any by- law where they can refuse to licence your boat.

Are they really that toothless?

Fair point, but if ever these idiots are involved in something serious, perhaps somebody getting injured, it might help in the event of an insurance claim, or even a prosecution, if the details are logged with CRT. At worst I can't see that reporting it would do any harm. I would report any such incident.

There seems to be little mention here of the widely varying effects a passing boat can make on moored ones. The variables include width and depth of canal particularly at the edges, with the worst case being a narrow shallow one with boats moored having almost no water underneath their hulls. Here a very modest speed (say 2 mph or less) can have a dramatic effect on moored boats. At the other end of the scale are canals such as the Bridgewater where a combination of good depth, particularly at the edges, and width mean a boat travelling at nearly 4mph causes virtually no disturbance to those moored. Its easy to see your boats effect by the wash at the banks, allowing you to adjust speed accordingly.

Of course a boat badly moored with lines at right angles to bank (as many are) is going to suffer more from effects of passing boats.

There seems to be little mention here of the widely varying effects a passing boat can make on moored ones. The variables include width and depth of canal particularly at the edges, with the worst case being a narrow shallow one with boats moored having almost no water underneath their hulls. Here a very modest speed (say 2 mph or less) can have a dramatic effect on moored boats. At the other end of the scale are canals such as the Bridgewater where a combination of good depth, particularly at the edges, and width mean a boat travelling at nearly 4mph causes virtually no disturbance to those moored. Its easy to see your boats effect by the wash at the banks, allowing you to adjust speed accordingly.

Of course a boat badly moored with lines at right angles to bank (as many are) is going to suffer more from effects of passing boats.

Indeed, On the very rare occasions when we have been chastised for passing moored boats "too fast," they have been moored poorly, with the ubiquitous taught centre line from the cabin roof. They then wonder why our passing boat is making theirs rock!

I've just spent 3 years on the Lancaster. I'm used to being aware of shallow water and the wash that even a slow-moving boat can cause. If it was particularly shallow there, I wasn't able to tell - there being a large block of boats between me and the bank.

To my mind,it's not the peeps shouting slow down etc who are the problem-it's the folk stopping the overtaking.

Trina

He's the one I'll be reporting. The others I'm not bothered about, Trina.

Thanks for the name, Ditchcrawler.

I've just spent 3 years on the Lancaster. I'm used to being aware of shallow water and the wash that even a slow-moving boat can cause. If it was particularly shallow there, I wasn't able to tell - there being a large block of boats between me and the bank.

He's the one I'll be reporting. The others I'm not bothered about, Trina.

Thanks for the name, Ditchcrawler.

I would do the same

I've never understood these sort of boat rage incidents. If someone politely asks if they can pass I will move out of the way as son as it is practical to do so

If I can't safely pass a boat and it's going slower than I can cope with happily I'll stop where I can, moor up and have a break.

I have been pursued along the towpath by a nut on a push-bike whilst being called all sorts of names because I allegedly "sped past moored boats" but he was remarkably silent and pushed off quickly when I got to the next lock.

And there's the point that most "angry boaters" should remember. It is rarely that far to the next lock, swing bridge or similar choke point and this can cause all sorts of problems for them.

I would do the same

I've never understood these sort of boat rage incidents. If someone politely asks if they can pass I will move out of the way as son as it is practical to do so

If I can't safely pass a boat and it's going slower than I can cope with happily I'll stop where I can, moor up and have a break.

I have been pursued along the towpath by a nut on a push-bike whilst being called all sorts of names because I allegedly "sped past moored boats" but he was remarkably silent and pushed off quickly when I got to the next lock.

And there's the point that most "angry boaters" should remember. It is rarely that far to the next lock, swing bridge or similar choke point and this can cause all sorts of problems for them.

Tidal, I suspect like me you are not a lady. Diana had a chap sitting on her rear fender all through Braunston and up the start of the N Oxford, When I came up and took over steering he backed off.

Tidal, I suspect like me you are not a lady. Diana had a chap sitting on her rear fender all through Braunston and up the start of the N Oxford, When I came up and took over steering he backed off.

Indeed I am not

And isn't that always the way. Bullies like to pick on those they think may be vulnerable and back away when they perceive that they may have more of a problem than they thought.

Mind you, that said, I wouldn't have fancied the chances of anyone who upset my ex when we were on the cut.

Even I wasn't that brave biggrin.png

Indeed I am not

And isn't that always the way. Bullies like to pick on those they think may be vulnerable and back away when they perceive that they may have more of a problem than they thought.

Mind you, that said, I wouldn't have fancied the chances of anyone who upset my ex when we were on the cut.

Even I wasn't that brave biggrin.png

Woe betide anybody who upsets my wife either on or off the cut! ohmy.png