Leakage problems with Thetford 365

JohnB

Featured Posts

Last September after many years of good service our Thetford 365 was leaking on the bellows pump and beginning to look a bit tired, So with the cost of the spares taken into account we decided to go with our original plan and just replace the whole thing when it got badly worn.

We hoped the new Qube was going to be a good replacement---- As of now I'm not so sure!

Up until now we wondered if had been condensation or not properly engaging the parts when changing tanks as we have found water leaking down the side of the base and on other occasions the slide handle seemed rather damp,But yesterday it was much worse....

As far as I can tell the spigot on the bowl is not properly sealing into the holding tank and on closer examination the top deck of the unit seems to have about 1/4" of sag which is putting the connection between the tanks out of kilter.

I tried to contact Thetford but discovered, when I called, they close reception on Friday afternoons.

This gives me rather too much time to consider what we really want to do about it. ;-)

Have we got a faulty couple of tanks or is there a design problem along with the other issues that we have noticed.

We would like to hear if anyone else come across problems with this product or can suggest a better replacement.

John

John, when w spoke yesterday I thought it was just one tank that was an issue. In the light of your post it seems that it could be a design fault, having served my time in a mould shop I am aware that design/construction of moulded parts is always subject to modification after an initial production period.

I would definitely speak to Thetford.

Phil

Im also disapointed with our new Thetford Excellence.

Never had any problems with our 465 but like you, ours also developed leakage over the top of the base unit.

Ive solved it so far by regularly applying silicon spray to the slide and seal. The seal i found to be very stiff so a bit of a massage softend it up and now i get a reasonable seal between the two parts.

Ill be searching ebay for an old style square shaped one soon.

Hmm having just bought a new Thetford Porta Potti 165 Qube, in view of this post, I will be keeping a close eye on it for leaks. I have recently bought a Spinflo/Thetford 2 hob and grill. The first one I sent back because the front panel was bent , probably not the suppliers fault more likely to have been the carrier's fault. The second one arrived slightly damaged but I decided to go with that one as it was only the front panel (again) that was slightly out of alignment and that was easily fixed. The point that I wanted to make was that having received the hob I was astounded at how flimsey the manufacturing material was. It was the cheapest hob I could find even so it was nearly £200 and I do expect better quality than that for that sort of money to be honest. No I didn't send it back as I needed it and it was the cheapest but it wasn't a good quality product by any means. I have yet to receive my Thetford Qube but I will scrutinise it thouroughly. I do have an older Porta Potti that I have had for 5 years and that is still going strong although it doesn't get the use that a live aboard's would get.

I think sometimes the way theses types of toilets are used can affect the leakage potential of them. I've found they are less likely to leak if in daily use than if only used very occasionally. I've also found they are much more likely to leak in hard water areas.

If storing one for any length of time I find it much better to store it empty with the slide open so as not to compress the seal.

The seal between the 2 half's is also not very reliable and it is best not to leave any liquid in the bowl. In use it is far better to open the slide, use it and close the slide after flushing, leaving the bowl dry. Visitors seem to have a particular problem with this (as well as using much more flush water!)

Having said all that I would never go back to a self contained porta potty type toilet, I find a proper fitted cassette type much more reliable, easier to use and empty.

Tom

I made contact with Thetford this morning and sent the good lady at customer services pictures of the two tanks.

She emailed back to say they were indeed faulty and would need replacing.

But most apologetically advised me it would take three weeks to get replacements to me, they have to get them from Holland apparently !!!

And where would we be in three weeks time for them to be delivered to us.

Well 3 weeks and with a toilet leaking fluids down the side....

Any good suggestions??

I am sat on my 365 at the moment. It needs new bellows but that comes at the bottom of the spending list. I have a pump out sat next to me but it sits unused while not out on a big trip.

In light of the above comments I will stuck with old faithful until it gives up the ghost.

Better go and chat to swmbo now.

Dave