What on Earth Are These For?

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

This boat is moored just along from me. It has a special platform on the back for these huge containers. Has anyone come across this and know what they are for? (No-one on board so can't be nosy and ask.)

Erlv55F.jpg

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

This boat is moored just along from me. It has a special platform on the back for these huge containers. Has anyone come across this and know what they are for? (No-one on board so can't be nosy and ask.)

Erlv55F.jpg

Surstömming = fermented Baltic herring

Could be extra ballast. I'm sure I read an article somewhere about a boater who used containers like that filled with water to balast the boat down so it would pass through Dudley Tunnel. Can't help thinking that he'd need more than three though... maybe he has another ten inside the boat...

No idea, but anything like water in them at that height would make the boat "interesting" would think?

or to put it technically - modifying the metacentric height to make the motion less 'stiff'.

(Yachts with plenty of lead/iron ballast in a deep keel are said to be 'stiff' - they don't react so much to waves and wind, but the short sharp rolling motion can be more uncomfortable than an easy long and slow rolling motion).